How many mini horse disciplines are there?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thathorsecrazychick

Way to much time to spend on my horse
Reaction score
Ok so I’m realizing there is so many (so many) things you can do with miniature horses. I keep discovering new events and things people do competitively so I wanted to know what else can you do with these amazing tiny horses!?

Therapy animals, service animals, pleasure driving, CDEs, HDTs, ADTs, pleasure shows. At breed shows they do obstacles in hand and in the cart, Hunter, jumper, halter, 3 different types of pleasure classes, carriage classes, draft multiple hitch classes, light harness multiple hitch classes. Then there are weight pulling contests. Mini chuckwagon races. Trick horse exhibitions.

I'm sure there are a lot I missed.

I always figured people that were all about minis were a bit nuts. Why would you have minis instead of full-sized horses if you're still able-bodied eough to ride? But now I don't want to ride or breed anymore. Not that I want more minis, I'm more than good with what I have, but I'm having so much fun with their little selves and they are really "all-terrain" critters. We can go inside care facilities for visits and bring smiles for days. We can go on trail drives, we can show we can train for all sorts of things, we can dress up! And they're darn cute to boot!

The pony pulling contests are exciting, in hand racing classes like barrel racing, chariot races, versatility...which you drive, unharness, show halter and jump all in one class. You have the obstacle classes at the breed shows, or you can do in hand obstacle outside of breed shows, which has all the fun obstacles. We also have some shows that are just height jumping competitions...they keep raising the jumps until someone wins. Costume classes, having them pull you on skis or rollerblades, obstacles while driving, liberty where you let your horse loose in a huge arena to act like an idiot then get timed on catching him. At least I think that's what liberty is from the videos I've seen 🤣

I myself am blind, and I am very interested in getting a guide horse! It is most likely I will have to find one and train it myself, though, which is ok with me. I already started to prepare by taking horse lessons at a local barn here in PA. The farm show starts this week in Harrisburg PA at the farm show complex, and then Horse world Expo at the farm show complex in Harrisburg PA at the end of February. So plenty of opportunities for me to look at more minis, in preparation for when I get mine to train as a guide or pay someone to train it as a guide for me. It's more likely though I will be training it myself. I am 41 years old. And sometimes my back hurts because I'm not used to all that standing then bending down for grooming. I'm sure stretching exercises before my lessons should take care of that.
Only thing I had trouble with was getting the halter on Jazzy. The mini horse at the local barn. The only one they have there, the only mini. I got the top part over her ears ok, but didn't quite get the nose band on. My son helped me out. I'm sure with practice putting her halter on will come quite easy for me. I can take it off or remove it without issue though. I think Grant, the full size horse in the stall next to hers was a bit lonely without her. When my son and I took Jazzy from her stall to the top barn, Grant winnied at her and seemed a bit unhappy. But then he settled down after a minute or so.

And during my first lesson two days ago: now I know what rain rot feels like. Jazzy had a patch of it on her back left side, near her rump. I kept using the curry comb on it and I could not get this patch of fur or hair brushed so its nice and soft and plushy. So I asked my instructor about it, and she told me it was rain rot and that she will take care of it later with warm water. I'm surprised Jazzy didn't kick out at me or try to move away when I used the curry comb on that spot to brush that patch of fur out, where the rain rot was, or is at.

That is sometimes what liberty seems like. 🤣
I would love to do jumping in the future I dont think Rosies much of a jumper though 😂
The pony pulling contests are exciting, in hand racing classes like barrel racing, chariot races, versatility...which you drive, unharness, show halter and jump all in one class. You have the obstacle classes at the breed shows, or you can do in hand obstacle outside of breed shows, which has all the fun obstacles. We also have some shows that are just height jumping competitions...they keep raising the jumps until someone wins. Costume classes, having them pull you on skis or rollerblades, obstacles while driving, liberty where you let your horse loose in a huge arena to act like an idiot then get timed on catching him. At least I think that's what liberty is from the videos I've seen 🤣

***** You can use them as guide animals. check out this video...

and this one:

its just never ending what you can do with them isnt it?

no they are much more than "pasture ornaments." It would be great if certain breeders would breed them specifically for size, weight, and temprament to be used as guide animals, like Panda.

Latest posts

Back