Nine Miniature Horses need rescuing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just talked to lone star and the news is not good. Even they cannot get thru to this area right now. They were told that until all humans are helped they will not let animal rescue groups thru.

And when they do let them thru dairy animals are first on the priority list before equines.

Lone star has also received numerous phone calls about the minis. Lone star also pointed out that horses can survive many days without food but i dont think minis can last as long as a big horse.

my brain understands this but my heart sure doesnt. I know we have to help people but it has to be emotionally devastating to these people to lose everything and then watch their animals die a slow death. I just cant even imagine.

Kay

Last edited:
well, here are things from here right now....

i have had over a dozen calls from reporters and am hoping that we can get some pressure applied in the right places. i will be in to work at 5 am for a couple New York morning radio shows - they are right now trying to help us contact cnn and anderson cooper's team.

i hear we can get it, and then that we can't so i think we are really going to have to wait until morning to get a definitive answer. i have had over 300 calls and twice as many emails about this and even have one gentlemen who knows nothing about miniatures willing to donate his helicopter to get down there if possible.

i have posted a comment on www.amha.org and hope that it will relieve some people to know that we are working on this and hope to come up with a solution.

i will keep working here and let you know if i get any big breaks tonight....

~ Alison

thanks so much alison. i know the only way we will get thru is to get cnn or some other reporting agency to help get the trailer thru. There is no way any of us can do anything tonight as bad as we all want to. Im praying tomarrow will bring us a better answer.

This is such a great group of people. Wish i was closer to help.

Great news about the paypal donation site.

Beware of gas problems. Many places in Alabama are out of gas or lines are extremely long.

I hope CNN will pull thru on this one.

just a thought. it cant hurt and it might help. why dont all of us email cnn letting them know that since they aired this story they need to help us get thru to these horses. surely if they get like 2 or 300 emails in one night they will notice???? I really do feel they have a responsibility here to help as they aired the story. lets put the pressure on!!!

Kay

kaykay said:
just a thought.  it cant hurt and it might help.  why dont all of us email cnn letting them know that since they aired this story they need to help us get thru to these horses.  surely if they get like 2 or 300 emails in one night they will notice???? I really do feel they have a responsibility here to help as they aired the story.  lets put the pressure on!!!
Kay

459866[/snapback]

GREAT idea!! Will you all please also give them my name and cell phone number? They can call me ANYTIME day or night and we will try to get them some more information - Alison Elrod - AMHA Marketing Manager - and my cell phone number is 817-905-0034. Thank you!!!

I am a bit late to this. May I suggest what we have done in the past. Locate a helicopter and drop hay so the horses can eat until other rescue is possible.

the problem with that is one getting the helicopter thru and two they have no water for the horses (i have been told) i dont know which is worse?? if we drop hay and they eat but have no water they will colic for sure.
sad.gif

Leihala said:
I am a bit late to this.  May I suggest what we have done in the past.  Locate a helicopter and drop hay so the horses can eat until other rescue is possible.
459870[/snapback]

Sounds a wonderful idea! And isn't there a post above mentioning a volunteer with a helicopter????

MA

Well...I say that the fellow with the helicopter be contacted. Water can be brought in with lightweight collapsable jugs and hay/feed can be dropped as well. If that dear man offered then I think he should be taken up on his offer. It is an audacious plan to be sure but there is no reason it can't work. The resources are there.

EMB said:
Well...I say that the fellow with the helicopter be contacted. Water can be brought in with lightweight collapsable jugs and hay/feed can be dropped as well. If that dear man offered then I think he should be taken up on his offer. It is an audacious plan to be sure but there is no reason it can't work. The resources are there.
459898[/snapback]

i will work on contacting him - definetly saved his number!

I do think this is the best option so far. We need to get food & water to them mmediately.....(which a helicopter can do!) This will provide much needed time to find a way to get in there to rescue.

I must say....I'm PROUD to be a part of this group, AND AMHA!

(I just sent my e-mail to CNN, pleading with them to help get our rescuers TO the Bradfords!)

Last edited by a moderator:
People are shooting at the rescue helicopters trying to get people out of the hospitals so IF a copter goes in there need to be very careful.

Dona said:
I do think this is the best option so far.  We need to get food & water to them mmediately.....(which a helicopter can do!) This will provide much needed time to find a way to get in there to rescue.
I must say....I'm PROUD to be a part of this group, AND AMHA!

459907[/snapback]

This is really heartbreaking, Not only have we not been able to find a way in to help the horses, they have children. kay and Alison can we make a list for future use of farms able and willing to house nieghboring minis when something like this has been predicted to hit shore. Maybe they didnt leave cause they had no where to take their horses. We need a list of shelter farms, posted here or amha or somewhere so farms in harms way can safely move their animals because disater hits making it posiible to get their children and themselves to safety so what has happened to the bradfords doesnt happen to anyone else. If anything changes during the night or if I can help Lonestar help them, do not hesitate to call me.

Can we drop food/water from the helicopter?

Alison has been working all week with the equestrian league down there on putting together a list of farms to move horses to. I am also making a list of the volunteers i have had and will pass them on to lone star.

sorry if my typing is really bad i have been on here and on the phone for hours
smile.gif

Im sure hoping something works!

We can take people and horses - may spread the horses out a bit but only to mini places with good care. Our only problem is that there is no easy way there from Houston unless we drive through Tennsesee and Kentucky because I10 is desroyed between there and here. Have we heard from the AMHA Regional directors regarding the situation - come on Sid and Mike - you are needed in this situation - don't be politicians - we've got too many of those!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think even if mor ethen one person went down there there are plenty of animals and people to help and bring food to or move livestock for? in that area?

Latest posts

Back