Rescue or breed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with doing either in certain circumstances. Eventually all horses need homes or they end up in kill pens/dying. But to say people should not be breeding horses (no one here has said that just saying in general), is also not right. In any breeding program, whether dogs, horses, goats etc the foal should be to improve the breed. Breeding just because an animal is cute is how many end up in rescues, because most people would love to have a cute foal. Basically I think if you are wanting to have a foal, research should be done on the sire and dam to ensure you are producing an animal with good conformation first and cute second. Otherwise, pulling one from a reputable rescue or from someone who just can’t meet their horses need is a better option (in my opinion) plus a LOT cheaper. Honestly, my first stallion prospect was not breeding quality. Thankfully I was brought to my senses before he sired any foals. I had to learn the hard way but now my breeding herd consists of horses that have shown and won. But it’s taken me a while to get here. That said I do not think a horse HAS to have titles to make it a breeding prospect. It just helps a lot. But I’m all for supporting breeders who do their research, test their horses, prove their horses, and labor for months on end to produce quality, healthy foals.

I would just buy the horse that I want.

I rescued my first 2 minis--from a neighbor's property where they did not have enough to eat. I watched them get thinner--they looked so sad out there!!--and finally made a deal to buy them. I have raised a number of foals in past years. I love the new babies, but I wouldn't want to be breeding any more. Buying is the way to go--that way I can choose pedigree, conformation, color, training level.

I love that your equines stare at you through your window. Mine do too! Mine are a little bit further away from my house than yours, but every night while I'm making dinner, I feel their little beady eyes watching me. This time of year I can't see them but in the spring and summer, they are totally watching me move around my kitchen. I actually wait to turn on my kitchen lights until right before I'm preparing dinner, so that they don't have to stare at me for too long!! I get our human dinner ready then go bring put them in the barn for the night and feed them. Then we get to sit down and eat. If too much time has passed between the time I turn on the kitchen lights and I feed them, my donks start braying!! It's actually very funny.

Donkey braying would be hilarious! Yes, having them close is a blessing. Not only the enjoyment of watching them, but also keeping an eye on what they are doing. I have about an acre fenced with trees and bushes and there are 5 in the herd, two goats, two mini's and a Shetland. I love the mini's for their temperament around my grandchildren who just love to run around naked. We let Lollipop wander about sometimes, she doesn't go far. The goats try to come inside.IMG_5449 (2).jpg

I bought two minis from local, reputable breeders who run show barns. Well, the colt was sick when I picked him up, though the seller must have wiped his nose dry before we arrived. When I took him out an hour later at the new barn, he had yellow snot running and he was coughing. Two rounds of antibiotics later and he was finally recovered. The new barn owners were NOT happy that I showed up with a sick horse and I don't blame them. Shame on that breeder. The other one wasn't much better to deal with and I have cut off all contact with them. What is wrong with people today?

I've also taken in rescue animals, cats, dogs and horses. I have friends that have assisted their local sheriff department in rescuing horses for over 10 years. Some stories have happy endings and others do not. I currently have a cat that needed to be rehomed and I know the owners were less than forthcoming about some of his issues. He's been with us over a year and has become part of the family now. He has chronic health challenges and you better not leave anything edible unguarded because it will be gone or on the floor. Initially he was an attack cat and bit my husband twice, tried to attack me (spray bottle to the rescue) but has evolved into a cuddler, thankfully. My therapy dog came from a rescue and he is worth his weight in gold. My other cat came from a neighbor's porch after all the other kittens "disappeared". He also is a priceless little gem. There's something to be said on both sides of the equation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back