New Year's Driving Resolutions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If I had Bacardi, I think I'd give up sleep and dinner in order to have time to drive him -- and I RARELY slack on either!

Thanks, Susanne
default_wub.png
Bacardi will probably be easy when I block off the time. He is my most special connection when it comes to horses. He tries SO hard to do what he think I want him to do and is very smart
default_yes.gif

Jill, Even though I'm making assumptions from across the country and having never met Bacardi, I get the feeling he would be a lot like Mingus -- brilliant, athletic and devoted. I bet your relationship would grow beyond belief.

I have a difficult time describing Mingus' and my partnership when we drive. He loves his job, and he is so tuned into my channel. In fact, I have to be careful to keep my mouth shut if someone else is driving him, as his ears are still on me. One time I was driving another horse while Keith drove Mingus, and Keith told me that Mingus was following my commands to the other horse...

This picture is terrible of both of us but it was soon after we had picked up this Viceroy. Our plans for this year is to use this "old boy" in the Viceroy if I can get him into shape. Now that's a real GOAL for the year. He was huffing and puffing after one round of the pasture. Hopefully getting rid of all that hair will help some. (old boy is 23)

ChipandViceroy.JPG

I write out my training goals each winter so I'm going to copy and paste.
default_smile.png

For Turbo: (in no particular order)

-Turbo needs to gain basic strength and balance, which means lots of low-key time in harness. I want him working up to more frequent transitions and introductory shortening/lengthening work by next summer and fall.

-Introduce him to the blinkers, go back and redo previous steps to be sure he's okay with them. (He's only worked open until now.)

-Build strength in his shoulders for a straight breastcollar and show cart. (Turbo's only done hard trot work in his Freedom Collar going pair with Kody so needs to get used to an old-fashioned straight breastcollar which won't give him as much ease of movement in his shoulders.)

-Cross-train! Alternate in-hand bridlework for suppling, long-lining to focus on rhythm and balance and driving work to build strength. Pair driving to keep his motivation up and provide variety.

-Introduce jumping and teach him cadence and manners over fences. (Hunter lessons?) Free jumping!

-Continue to work on halter and do more formal training for Obstacle.

-Start trick work as he indicates he's ready. (Turbo has mastered the formal bow since I wrote this and is learning to fetch my glove.)

For Kody:

-Continue bridlework and lateral maneuvers. I want to see him get more supple, reduce his bracing habits further and start learning to do lateral work at a slow trot as he's doing in-hand. Everything must be soft, soft, soft! Tension is the enemy. Every maneuver should end with a soften and stretch down, soft eye.

-Expand his understanding of his mentor role in pair work- teach him to teach Turbo. Already going very well!

-Return to ground-driving with emphasis on being forward and steady in preparation for being a tandem leader.

-Take him out in the Hyperbike for solo drives to make sure we spend quality time together.

-More scent work? What new tricks can I teach him? (This winter he has so far mastered Fetching, Sitting Up and is now working on Bowing like Turbo does.)

For Both:

-Work on free-jumping together

-Conditioning program

-Go for walks

-Decorate cart for the holidays (Did this for once!)

-Lessons for both driven dressage and breed ring events

-General play

-Occasionally free-load in the trailer to remind them it's not a big deal.

-Keep desensitizing the boys to tandem positioning and start them tandem this summer for AMHR competitions.

-Continue pair training, focusing on synchronization and nailing the fine points.

shelterwood said:
I will have to send my first Comfy Fit harness back to Chimacum to be outfitted with the necessary stuff to make it work as a pairs harness. I should have done that originally, and will do it with the second one so it's all set from the get go.
Katie, you don't have to send back anything except maybe the breastcollar. The breeching and tug pieces simply buckle in, all you need physically sewn on is the rings on the breastcollar and the keeper for the yoke strap on the neck strap pad.

I found it easier to simply buy a pair collar (you can always sell the single one!) but I know people who have had them retrofitted.

Leia

Katie, you don't have to send back anything except maybe the breastcollar. The breeching and tug pieces simply buckle in, all you need physically sewn on is the rings on the breastcollar and the keeper for the yoke strap on the neck strap pad.

Yes, exactly, just the breastcollar. I think I will need to do this rather than buy a new pairs breastcollar, but maybe by the time I have my girls driving as a pair I'll be wealthy!! Could be years, so you never know!! Thanks!!

Katie

Latest posts

Back