Need good wishes for my very sick mini. Update -Finally got an answer. Salmonella.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another not-so-good day for Ollie. Vets xrayed his lungs to make sure nothing was going on there and ultrasounded his stomach/intestines. Everything was fine. Waiting for results of nasal swabs to see if there are some answers. It's so frustrating to be treating the symptoms without results after five days. He's still got a fever (although banamine helps keep him comfortable), still no appetite (although he'll eat tiny handfuls), still in major discomfort. At least he's producing manure.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.

I'm sorry you don't have an answer yet....you are definitely at the best hospital possible. I was there a few months ago to see their oncologist. They are awesome vets, and I know they can help you.

Liz R.

Visited the boys today and was able to take them out grazing. The vets were hoping Ollie would show interest in grass but he didn't. Still not eating or drinking. He's on second day of antibiotics. They did another intestinal ultrasound this afternoon and can now see fluids in there that weren't there on Monday. They tubed him again this morning; just last night he finally passed the oil from last Thursday's tubing. They started him on Biosponge.

Vet just called asking to do a plasma transfusion. For the first time in a week she used phrases like "critical" and "life saving" - not that he's there at this very moment but that he's close to it and her hope is the transfusion will help replenish the liquids.

They're keeping a close eye on his liver numbers. The plasma transfusion will help in that matter.

You know what set me off crying like a baby when I hung up? She told me that they weren't charging me anything for Trickster - that was both so kind and so much an acknowledgment that they're throwing everything but the kitchen sink at Ollie and so that they feel bad charging me for his little buddy, who arrived at the hospital nearly as sick as Ollie but who recovered immediately.

It sounds like you have been blessed with top notch and compassionate care! I hope the little guy can pull through with no further set backs. Healing vibes sent your way from the north west.

How frightening! i hope they can find what is causing the problem. How kind of the clinic to cover your fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful vet!

I sure home that Ollie starts rallying and things will turn out well.

My prayers are with you.

Both minis are at West Coast Equine in Somis. I've been very happy with the care they're getting. One of my big horses had kidney failure in February and the hospital was fabulous. It's nice to not have to go all the way to Alamo Pintado. Plus, there's another mini in the hospital right now so although mine are being kept apart from the other horses due to the unknown virus, it's nice to hear mini whinnies from both ends of the barn.
West Coast Equine Hospital is a beautiful state-of-the-art facility. I took a tour of the hospital when they opened (just last year I think?). Two friends of mine recently had their horses at West Coast and received excellent care; they spoke very highly of it. Plus, they keep that place spotless. I agree that it's nice to have an excellent option locally (only about 15 minutes from me). Alamo Pintado is a wonderful facility but sometimes just too far for critical/acute situations (1 hour 45 minutes for me).

I hope your little ones improve with each passing day. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Sending prayers and best wishes your way! Hoping things are looking better today.

Bumping this up - sure hoping for some good news!!!!

Prayers for Ollie!!!

Barbie

Sadly, Ollie lost his battle with coliltis today. It's been a tough eleven days. The vets did everything they could but Ollie's organs began shutting down and it was time to let him go. I still don't understand how this all happened - one day he was in perfect health, the next day he was being rushed to the hospital. They are doing a necropsy and maybe we'll learn something.

Ollie knew the world revolved around him and wouldn't let anyone forget that for an instant. He had to be the first one through the gate; he had to get the first carrot, the first hug, the first feed tub. He was only 36 inches tall but looked and moved like a small warmblood. He could have won any hunter under saddle class with his amazing trot and gorgeous canter. Thankfully he wasn't a riding horse since he had a nasty buck that would have sent people flying! He was always into everything. As a yearling, he constantly was getting himself into situations that he couldn't get out of. One day while I was cleaning his paddock, I heard a commotion behind me. He had stuck his head through the the muck bucket cart handle and was galloping around, dragging the cart (and bucket) with him. He persisted in lying down to roll right next to the fence, getting cast on a regular basis. Bless his heart, he would lie there patiently, waiting for me to rescue him. He tormented his paddock buddy, Trickster, to no end and once when Ollie was cast I found Trickster standing on top of him as if to say "Screw you, buddy. This will teach you to push me around." Last summer a movie was being filmed in Ojai ("Easy A" for those of you who saw it) and much of the movie was filmed down the street from us. Ollie was my jogging partner and I would regularly jog by the film site, having to wait while they were filming. At the end of a scene, they would say, "Cut." Then, "horse coming through." The crew would pour out and come surround Ollie, who was pretty sure he was the star of the whole thing. He once tried to eat at the catering table. I was embarrassed but they loved it. Ollie was most disappointed they couldn't find a way to work him into the movie!!!! Miniature horses are a special gift from the gods and Ollie was one of the best. Every day he would give his deep nicker to welcome me at breakfast time (In reality he was saying, "Would you hurry the $%#& up and feed me" but I pretended he was simply happy to see me.). At every meal he insisted on checking BOTH piles of hay (or feed tubs) to make sure he got the best one. Trickster would patiently wait for Ollie to decide which one he wanted. Ollie fought his final battle as well as he could but he finally told me know it was time to let him go. I take comfort in knowing we tried everything possible to save him and I know he is now out of pain, enjoying deep, lush grass and an endless supply of carrots and cookies. Ollie gave me great joy and made me laugh every single day until the last eleven days when all I could do was cry. I will eventually laugh again, however, and I will think of him without tears. I will never forget his smell, his soft coat and his zest for life, and I will feel his muzzle on my neck until the day I die.

OMG I'm SO very sorry you lost your precious boy!
default_crybaby.gif

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} He was very loved. So sorry.

We lost our beloved Spuds that way too.
default_sad.png

I'm so, so sorry.
no.gif
Rest in peace beautiful boy.

Your tribute to him was beautiful. It's obvious he was loved as much as any horse there ever was. Hugs to you.

I am so very sorry for your loss. He had the best lift possible with you, and you did everything you could to make him comfortable, including allowing him to go to a life without pain.

Our deepest sympathies

default_bye-sad.gif
Goodbye Ollie.

I definitely teared up through this thread, just imagining him as my horse, going through this with him must have been such a teary eyed process. You did the right thing, you tried everything and that is al us owners can do, try everything and love every day we can. I have been through so much with so many of my horses. And I know after I make that decision I always have the 'what if' in my head. You did what was right. I a, very sorry for your tear jerking loss.
default_crybaby.gif

default_pray.gif
You&him will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you can get some sleep.

I am so sorry it ended up this way.

sending some good thoughts and prayers your way.

My Royal died from the same thing (colitis) this past April. Willow, my yearling filly had it, too, two months later, but recovered with massive doses of oxytetracycline etc. Both are suspected cases of PHF (but nothing confirmed even with a PM). I'm so sorry
default_no.gif

I am so very sorry about Ollie. It sounds like you shared an extra special bond with him and my heart goes out to you.
default_crybaby.gif

I emailed you just a sec ago. I just hated to read this. Im so sorry.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back