Need good wishes for my very sick mini. Update -Finally got an answer. Salmonella.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of Ollie. He was well loved by you and he knew that. <<hugs>>

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I was so hoping he would turn around for you.

God Bless YOU, for all you did for him.

Beth

So sorry for your loss. It was very touching to read about Ollie. You really brought him to life for all of us.

Very sad
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

I'm so very sorry. Unfortunately, some times, in spite of all the prayers, God's answer is no. When I hear of the loss of someone's beloved mini I always find myself thinking that an angel child now has a new friend to love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, I am SO sorry about Ollie. He was greatly loved and sounds like he had more personality than he knew what to do with, LOL I am glad you had time with him and lots of laughs. It will make for some good memories. I know you must be heartbroken and I am so sorry. Hugs to you and to your other little horse who has lost his buddy too. RIP Ollie.

I am so so sorry to hear that you lost Ollie. He was truly one of a kind, and he was lucky to have an owner that loved him just the way he was. My heart goes out to you.

My heart breaks for you {{{{{ hugs }}}}}
no.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to him leaves no doubt as to how much he was cared for. We have lost two mares to colitis over the years, and saved one. Not an easy thing to experience. How is your other boy doing, is he home with you now?

Jan

Trickster came home from the hospital on Saturday; he did a wonderful job of keeping Ollie company until close to the end. Once Ollie's diarreah started, however, it wasn't fair to keep Trickster there. Thankfully whatever virus or bug or whatever it was that Trickster also had went right through him, mostly before he even went to the hospital, and he was fine after the first night.

He's a bit lonely, of course, as my big horses don't share the same field with him (but they're right next to him). Ollie's breeder, a wonderful woman named Susan Hopmans (LaVista Farm) has offered me a yearling companion for Trickster. The vets recommended waiting at least a week -ten days after Trickster came home before introducing a new horse, so I'm doing my best to keep Trickster entertained until then.

Thank you again for all the kind thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry to hear the bad news. It sounds like Ollie was pretty special, those special memories will keep him close to your heart.

OMG I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I was had hoped that your beloved "Ollie's" health would improve.

Bless you for all you did for him....

That was also very generous of Susan to offer another companion for "Trickster".

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason I hadn't been reading this thread until today and I found myself crying harder and harder as I read through it. I am so sorry for your loss!! Ollie was an amazing little character, a true blessing, and the kind you don't find very often. You and Twister must be so lonely.
default_sad.png
Bless his breeder for her kind offer...that's really above and beyond.

Prayers for comfort for you and your other horses. Know that through your tribute Ollie has touched us all.

Leia

Got the results of Ollie's necropsy last night. No answers as to what caused the colitis but clearly I made the right decision to let him go Monday. His secum and colon were completely ravaged by infectious tissue; the vet doesn't think he would have lasted another 48 hours. I asked if this could have been coming on for awhile or if so much damage could have been done in 11 days. Her feeling was it all happened in 11 days. I'm not entirely sure I agree with her since for the last few months, I kept thinking he looked bloated. I kept tweaking his diet but nothing changed. I think something was brewing.

So, best guess is that both Ollie and Trickster caught something, whether it was a virus or whatever. It went through Trickster first and so by the time they went to the hospital, he was recovering. For whatever reason, Ollie wasn't so lucky.

I'm very glad to have had the necropsy done.

It sounds like you and the veterinarians did everything you could. It would have been great to have a better understanding of just what happened to them both, but sometimes we do not get all the information we would like.

I am so sorry for your loss and will be thinking good thoughts for your remaining horse' full recovery.

Your necropsy results were very much like what we found. Colitis, cause unspecified, and it likely all happened within a few days. I'm sorry, somehow seems like it would help to at least have answers...

Jan

Latest posts

Back