Friend lost her Mini mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyB

overo
Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]One of my very BEST friends, Candie Foust of Libby, Montana lost her 12-year-old Miniature mare, little 29" sorrel YUKA May yesterday. She raised YUKA from a foal and has both her sire and dam. Yuka was a VERY SPECIAL mini and has given happiness and LOVE to hundreds of people. Candie took such good care of her and attended to her every need. She took her to special functions and she was loved by her whole town. [/SIZE]

Yuka has been suffering for sometime with a bad shoulder, so Candie did some research and found that her shoulder could be surgerically cleaned and fused together to stop a lot of her pain. She decided to take Yuka May to a vet hosptial for the surgery. They planned for the surgery, but it was stopped and not re-scheduled until after Candie had left to go back home. When you live far away and have other animals to feed and care for too, it makes it hard to stay the entire time at a vet hospital. So Candie was NOT there when Yuka May was recovering from the surgery. They placed Yuka in a stall bedded with shavings(she told them that Yuka eats everything which includes shavings) and had food there too for her(hay)...while YUKA was semi-awake, she started to eat the shavings and choked so bad, that the vets had to take her back into surgery to remove the shaving obstruction and safe her life! ....The surgery for her shoulder was successful even though she did break it again while in the stall. ...but she would not eat hay or the mushy pelleted formula they were giving her very well because of the pain she was experiencing from the choking incident. So they started her on BUTE
default_no.gif
..with NO ulcer meds for her stomach. Candie didn't know this and this past week her kidneys and liver started to shut down. They did everything they could to safe her, but in the end, Yuka May was put to sleep
default_crybaby.gif
....Candie went down many times with ever opportunity she got and she could see that Yuka was not happy...but when Candie would come no matter how Yuka felt and she heard Candie calling her name, Yuka May would whinny and get all excited. The vets did NOT let Candie know on a regular basis how Yuka was doing and she had to call to find out if she was doing good or bad..they would not even call when Yuka was doing bad
default_no.gif
......These are some of Candies words about what happened:

[SIZE=18pt]"Very Sad, wishing my little Mini Mare, Yuka May a speedy complete recovery from her major shoulder surgery".... "She had a very major shoulder surgery. They put plates and screws in her shoulder and fused it. All went well with her surgery and then back in her stall she had a bad setback after surgery. She had a choke and they had to take her back into surgery and push it on through. And, now her doctor says it might make more scar tissue in her esophagus and make her more prone to chokes in the future. I hope to get over to see her soon. She has to be in the hospital at least a month. I sure am worried about her. I have never loved anything more then her".... "I haven't heard from them since Sat. I think no news is good news. When they call it scares me. I thought she had died that last time he called the way he started out saying they had had a major problem. I will call them later today and see how she is. I have got to get over and see her. I feel so sorry for her.".... "I am headed over to see her today and spend a couple of nights over there. Hope it helps her seeing me. She loves her mom.".... "Yuka May is doing better, but can't wait until she is home. It was very good to see her and extra hard to leave her. And, very sad to see her that way when she can't have any bedding or can't eat like a normal horse. You should have seen her as soon as she heard me speak her name. I got many continual kisses from her. I took some of her favorite treats smushed up and I watered them down and she did eat them quite well. I was wishing that I had taken over a whole sack of them for her. I think I am going to smush some up and mail them over to her. She is not fond of what they are feeding her. Hazel and I picked her grass from the lawn a couple of times every day that we were there and she loved that. Hope they keep picking her grass. They did take her stindt out while we were there and took her big bandage off of her surgery site. Her doctor said she should be able to come home in a couple of weeks if she continues on like she is doing. That is a week less time then he originally said. She is walking on it really pretty good. Actually already better then she was before surgery. Sure going to be good to have her home".... "Headed back in the morning to see my little mare Yuka May. She had another bad setback. Her shoulder bone at her surgery site has now broke. Her doctor seems to think that she will still heal and it will be a successful surgery. Of the 5 Miniatures that he has researched he said three of them had also broke, but... went on to heal. I sure hope and pray that she does. I feel so very sad. I love her so much.".... "Spent three days with my beautiful little girl, Yuka May. Boy! it is hard to leave her. Can't wait for her to be able to come home. She had her surgery 3 weeks ago this Friday. She is coping the best she can with everything that she has gone through.".... "Gotta Call the hospital and get an update on my Yuka May. They aren't good about keeping you updated. Seems it is something bad when they usually call. It scares me everytime I see their number come up when the phone rings. No news is good news I guess.".... "Got an update on Yuka May from her Doctor today. They rescoped her esophogus and said it seems to be healing well from her choke, but still has to stay on soft food until it is completely healed. She is still in a lot more pain from her shoulder then he would like, but it is to be expected with her shoulder fusion and ...then the break. It will be a long while before she is able to come home.".... "Just back from spending a few days with Yuka May. Her shoulder seems to be healing some. She is putting more weight on it, pawing and shaking hands(hooves) with it. She has lost a lot of weight though. Sure be glad when she can get back on regular feed. And, Happier yet when she is able to come home." ...... "Extremely Sad! :eek:( My little Yuka May has taken a very bad turn for the worse. She has quit eating and drinking. Her kidneys & liver are not hardly working. They are doing all they can for her trying to get things working again. I am leaving in the morning to go back and see her. I can't imagine losing her. She has gone through so much. She can use everyones prayers."...... "Devastated, I had to have my beautiful sweet little girl, Yuka May put down. After everything that she went through and still lose her. I do feel the vet hospital is responsible for her death. She should never have been let to choke and then to never give her anything for her stomach to protect it from the pain meds. Especially too when she wasn't hardly getting any nourishment. She suffered many long weeks."...... "She went in for a shoulder surgery, "fusion". Which I think he did a good job on. It was the care she received afterwards. They put her back in her stall with food & shavings and she ate them before she was completely awake and had a bad choke, where she had to be taken back into surgery to push it on down. Then she could not have normal food and basically starved to death and with all the pain meds with no protective meds her body could not handle it."...... "She was completely healthy other then her shoulder when we took her there. I feel I really failed her. She would have been way better off to just keep her home and manage her shoulder pain. She would still be with me. And, they more then failed her. When she got deathly sick this past week, I think the new vets coming in really tried to save her, but it was way too little too late."........ "Randy brought his back hoe home and dug her grave and we buried her in the back pasture with the other two horses. I have never felt a greater lose then losing her. I was so privileged and blessed to have had her in my life." [/SIZE]

CJ YUKA MAY 1997~2007

YukaMay1997-2009.jpg

I REALLY think that this vet hospital was in the wrong. I know they all make mistakes, but they should have had someone right there watching her while she was awakening from her surgery and if she started to eat her shavings, they should have put a muzzle on her!
default_no.gif
..Then not calling Candie with up-dates on a regular basis seems VERY wrong to me! Then why~why~WHY in the world would they keep Yuka on BUTE for almost 2 months without any Gastroguard to prevent ulcers which would give her more pain which likely lead to her kidneys and liver shutting down!!!
default_nono.gif
:arg!
default_frusty.gif
...I mean I how irresponsible could they be!!!

Do you think Candie should or can do something about this...she has not paid them the full (HUGE) balance yet???

Candie has been through a lot of pain(physical and mental), breaking her back and neck, having numerous back and neck operations and is in constant pain even with medication..it amazes me how she handles her life..and then losing a husband and many other beloved mini's and horses...I feel SO very bad for her. So I am asking you if you could find it in your hearts to send her a card telling of your feelings about her loosing her beloved Yuka May..PLEASE if you could I know she would really appreciate it and so would I
default_wub.png

Her mailing address is

Candie Foust

1579 Farm to Market Rd,

Libby, MT. 59923

Thank You for your time in reading this and maybe sending Candie some condolences and cheery words as she is placing a lot of blame on herself now would really help!... Hindsite is 20/20 and you can rip yourself up trying to second guess yourself over and over again that you should have done or not done something different....The blame also needs to fall on the vet hospital too I feel...

anyway again Thank you...Jenny

"I LOVE YOU CANDIE!"
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Jenny

That is just so very very sad - I'm in tears here.

Please send Candie my sincere sympathy and a huge hug.

RIP Little Yuka May.

Anna

I am at a loss for words here . I am very very sorry for your friend ...sorry that she wasnt there when Yuka needed her , sorry also that your friends wishes were not heard or aknowledged by the hospital. Yukas story will be remembered by me , and I will make sure something like this will never happen to me . I am soo sad to be reading about this. Thank you for posting this very important topic about being a huge advocate for your furry friend, even when you think they are in professional hands. I have a similar story , but fortunatly I took my little Blackie home before the hospital killed him, with the permission of my regular vet. We saved his life by being his advocate and going against the hospitals wishes...sometimes you just have to do it. Never underestimate the power, and intuenision ( horribly spelled ) of a mother, sometimes they know best.

default_no.gif

again I am so very sorry to hear this news.

Very sad.

I agree that here should have been better monitoring at the Vet.'s. There should have been no way she could get into shavings, especially when Candie warned them that she will eat "everything".

I hope Candie can just remember her little girl fondly and know she is in a better place. Her shoulder may not have healed well and she could have been left in a lot of pain too.

This is too sad to read all the way through - but I read enough of it to know what happened.

I am so sorry this happened. God Bless you and your little mare, such a tragedy, this should not have happened.

Beth

Such a heart breaking story.
default_no.gif
I am so very very sorry for Candie.
default_no.gif
Please send Candie my sincere sympathy and love. There are so many people out there that don't or will never know the love
default_wub.png
for an animal (child). They are just as much a part of our family as our actual human family is. I have lost many of my four legged kids and it never gets any easier when they have to leave us.
default_no.gif
I hope that Candie has alot of good memories of her little girl Yuka May that she will always have there to treasure and remember.

Again I am so very very sorry to hear the news
default_no.gif
. Sending lots of LOVE AND HUGS to your dear friend.

So sorry for her loss. It seems that aftercare - even (or maybe especially) in the big surgical clinics - is a bigger problem than the surgery itself. We had a taste of it last year with Artie's ordeal but I was only 30 minutes away and pretty much hounded them about what I was unhappy with.

So sorry again, it's hard enough to lose a horse you love let alone when it was a preventable loss.

Jan

default_no.gif
That is so very sad. Sometimes I wonder about after care on humans and animals. It is like the old saying the surgery was a sucess but the patient died...scary!
default_unsure.png
Your friend is in my prayers
default_no.gif

What a shame! I am so sorry to hear the outcome of your friend's little mare. That is just awful.

Just do what you do with all hospitals.. ask for a monthly payment plan and then turn around and sue them for negligence up to the value of the horse plus medical. If it was their error, you shouldn't have to pay for it, especially if they weren't able to keep the horse alive.

Just my early morning opinion!

By the way, it does make me very sad to here - and angry - as I recall my last experience with a vet. They did many tests and overnight stays plus medication on a filly, racking up a $1600 bill all just to say she was dehydrated. I hate vets and I'm always skeptical. It's so hard to find a good one that understands the emotional side of the equation and to go about things in a "let's think this through and what would satisfy our customer" sort of way.

Brenda

Last edited by a moderator:
What a heartbreaking story. I feel so sad for Candie having to go through so many losses and now the loss of her beloved Yuka May.

Many years ago our pony was terribly mistreated by a vet clinic and certain things just didn't have to happen the way they did. If I had to do it all over again, I would have reported these vets to the state vet licensing board. If Candi suspects wrong doing on the part of the vet clinic, she may want to consider reporting them in your state. It won't bring back Yuka May but it might help her in another way. My heart goes out to her.

[SIZE=14pt]Thank you ALL so much for your loving and kind words for Candie...I will forward them to her. I haven't spoken with her today yet, I thought I would give her a few days to try to get herself together, but when I do, I will let you know how she is doing.[/SIZE]

God Bless you ALL!

Thank you,

Jenny

Jenny,

Please pass my deepest condolences to Candie. My heart cries for her in all she's been through, along with her sweet Yuka May. I'm so very sorry. Holding her in my heart and prayers.

Warmest love & hugs,

Tanya

I lost my mini to a gelding procedure. The procedure went well, but he had a hard time waking up. Vet never came to check on him after the surgery. I sat with him, but I'm clueless to any early distress signs. By the time I realized something was wrong (besides the time it took for him to get up), he was about gone. He had an allergic reaction to the anethesia. If the vet had come back out and checked on him, he probably could've saved his life. But afterwards, he came out an apologized several times and took all responsibility. Gave me back my money as well as took care of the disposal fees. I was impressed with the vet clinic as far as them taking responsibility (its not their fault my horse had this reaction, but more the fact that he never watched his patient to assure the complete procedure was done from start to finish). And I think if they hadn't of stepped up, they would've lost my business for sure. This was my first visit to this particular vet since we had just moved up here. I knew some good vets back closer to our old home (45 minutes away) and would've easily drove my horses to them if I felt these vets near me weren't qualified. But they took responsibility and that was what was important to me.

As far as your friend is concerned, I would say she should still pay the costs for the shoulder surgery. But I don't think she should be responsible for the second surgery as well as the care afterwards. Has she talked to the vet? Sometimes talking to the vet and saying that their negligence cost her a horse as well as a lot of money and she shouldn't be responsible except for the costs of the original surgery (even though some take their horses in for colic surgery, they may still lose their hose. They are still responsible for those costs).

But I'm sorry for her loss. Its hard losing our little ones!
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Bumping up..please read if you haven't and send Candie a card..it would make her really feel better
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

She is feeling some better and is still working on her letter of dispute to the vet hospital for their neglingence...This will be an even harder time for her because Christams is almost here and she has No Yuka May
default_crybaby.gif

Thank you for you kind words and your wonderful hearts
default_wub.png

Blessings,

Jenny

My mini colt just had surgery at a university in Georgia. The vet was there when he woke up. and new shortly after that he eats shaving and he had a muzzle put on to prevent it. I got a call two to three times a day for the first few days and luckily was able to visit him and saw that they were keeping up with him

She should not have to pay! It is not cheap and we have to trust the vets to do what we do at home, watch and love our horses. I am so sorry for her loss. And feel strongly that she should send that letter. and share her expieince!

I agree. She shouldn't have to pay. But most likely will. I have been in this situation twice. Once with a colt who hadn't descended past the ring and we decided to geld him. Our vet lost him. There wasn't a reason and he refunded our money and paid for disosal fees.

The first was by our previous vet. She was a young filly that had gotten ill. She was being tube fed and they put the tube in her lung. We had her eating at home, walking. We sent her in the am because the vet felt she needed more plasma, and to be tube fed at least 3 times daily. They aspirated her and she died. We were told by them that we signed for treatment and they were not liable. We called our lawyer and she said the same thing.

Good Luck! Candi is in my prayers as is Yuka.

Our minis have no experience with shavings as we use straw here. Many years ago we had a mini that had to be hospitalized for a few days and when I saw the stall covered with shavings I refused to release her in there until we either had a mask on her or straw on the floor.

They redid the floor with straw before I would leave her.

What happened to you was my fear. I am so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif

Back