My mare has a fat tummy... could possibly be pregnant? :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
default_saludando.gif

I have a 9 year old mare I have had her almost a year.

She was quite skinny when I got her and so built up her feed and have had her on pretty good grass (the place I got her from had no grass at all... so she loves it here )

I started dropping her back to a stable diet about 3-4 months ago I would like to show her a little this year but she has quite a tummy we thought she was pregnant but the previous owner doesn't think

there is any way she could have got in with his stallion,

so my question is... what is the best way to get her to lose her tummy? I have added pictures so you can see how she is currently...

she has had two foals with her previous owner, but not for 4 years or more...

I tried to put her on the lunge but she doesn't know how to lunge. I put her over a few jumps and she takes them well she is actually quite a good little jumper
default_laugh.png

would love your help with this.

Thank you.

2712113.jpg

1601127.jpg

2712115.jpg

271211.jpg

Sorry she needs a bath and haircut desperatley. Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
She's so pretty! And she looks like she can be pregnant so I think you need to get her tested before anymore jumping and exercises just to be sure.
default_biggrin.png

Sometimes its really hard to tell between a belly full of grass and a belly full of foal! Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
She's so pretty! And she looks like she can be pregnant so I think you need to get her tested before anymore jumping and exercises just to be sure.
default_biggrin.png
Thanks Marty she is my special girl, I love her to bits :D I know she has faults but hoping to work on those...
default_laugh.png

regarding the pregnant status, I thought she was too. a few months ago I did the wee foal test and it came back as a faint negative ( I know they can be wrong) LOL

so I put her on a massive diet doesn't seem to be helping... I will have had her a year in March and I have no stallions on my property so it would have had to have been at the old owners place, I rang him (he is a bit of an idiot sorry to say hehe)

he said he thought there was no way she could have gotten in with a stallion... this being said the other mare I got from him WAS in foal and had a beautiful little colt three months ago and he said back then "the stallion got through the fence to her"

so you can see how hard this is for me lol

I would guess she would be coming up to 300 days due I got her end of march, and I thought it could be very possible she is pregnant her tummy is hard, not soft (fatty)

the old owner said she gets absoloutly massive when in foal and that I would be able to tell straight away. he only had the one foal from her but surely she would get just as big if she WAS pregnant again? wouldn't you think? thanks

oh she is 35-36" tall
default_yes.gif

Well said Marty! We, as Cassie's friends, also think that Penny could be pregnant! So Cassie I still think that you should give Penny just a little more time to prove us all wrong before you go full steam ahead on a work programme.
default_yes.gif

You say that she has had 2 colts - well she could be carrying a filly this time! Mares can, and often do, carry foals of different sexes in different ways, so she may not get 'huge' with this one. She is already showing a little filling in the veins in front of her udder and she could still have another 6 weeks or so before her due foaling date.

Hang in there, she might yet suprise you!!

If she isn't pregnant I'd dry lot her, my show team are on minmal to no grass and most are stabled at night. Carefully balanced small feeds and slow supply of roughage. I hate lunging so I trot my guys out alongside our very small tractor.

AnnaC said:
1327044574[/url]' post='1441465']Well said Marty! We, as Cassie's friends, also think that Penny could be pregnant! So Cassie I still think that you should give Penny just a little more time to prove us all wrong before you go full steam ahead on a work programme.
default_yes.gif

You say that she has had 2 colts - well she could be carrying a filly this time! Mares can, and often do, carry foals of different sexes in different ways, so she may not get 'huge' with this one. She is already showing a little filling in the veins in front of her udder and she could still have another 6 weeks or so before her due foaling date.

Hang in there, she might yet suprise you!!
Lol ok thanks Anna
wink.gif
I will wait a bit longer hehe it would be exciting n I can prove her previous owner wrong hehe
rolleyes.gif
If she is pregnant you will all see her on marestare in the next few weeks
aktion033.gif
Fingers crossed everyone
laugh.gif

Wings said:
1327045029[/url]' post='1441466']If she isn't pregnant I'd dry lot her, my show team are on minmal to no grass and most are stabled at night. Carefully balanced small feeds and slow supply of roughage. I hate lunging so I trot my guys out alongside our very small tractor.
Thanks Bree
biggrin.gif
Suzies n Finn are practically on a dry lot... So I'd put her in with them or in another dy lot paddock I haveThanks for the advice

I am not sure which pregnancy test you ran, but if it was a Wee Foal 38 I would not trust the results too much. I had two (out of three) incorrect results on that test this year and others also posted problems with that test this past year. I would watch her carefully for signs of udder development at this point because you do know the latest she could possibly have been bred. You could also have an external ultrasound, but I think I would just wait and watch. I once bought a mare that the seller insisted was not pregnant and she had a mule 8 months later - in November, in New England! Good thing I noticed she was bagging up!

What a pretty mare!! I almost hope she is in foal for you
default_yes.gif

I am in the "she's pregnant" camp, so no more jumping, OK??

If she is pregnant she is in BRILLIANT condition.

If she is not then she needs a bit of toning. Dry lots have no place with me, I have good grass and anything that is not showing has free access (within reason, I do not want laminitis!) My show stock are out in the day, all day, and in at night, They do get exercised- you need to build a round pen of some sort, it can be done quite cheaply if it does not have to be pretty, and you can replace it when you can afford it.

For instance - a sort of round pen can be cobbled together out of jumping poles and tin cans- you will need to use a lunge line in a pen like this but it just stops the animal constantly pulling away form you, which green on the lunge horses tend to do, and is useful to teach them to lunge in. DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE SURE SHE IS NOT IN FOAL.

Look, mistakes happen to the best of us, I had a three year old filly down with the geldings, on a crash diet because she was so fat. She had a lovely little filly foal and was a wonderful mother, BUT I did not breed her, the girl who looked after my horses when I was away for three days thought it would be funny to let the stallion in with the mares and I had two completely unexpected foals (I do not breed two year olds) one of which was nearly killed by a vet misdiagnosing her filling bag as mastitis and prescribing steroids- so, please do another test or better still get an ultrasound.

You mare would look WONDERFUL in harness, she is built for it and such a lovely colour.

Im in the probably pregnant camp too so follow the good advice already given , she sure is pretty too , love her colour and markings

if she does foal have you any idea of what the possible sire/s is like ?

What a pretty mare!! I almost hope she is in foal for you
default_yes.gif

I am in the "she's pregnant" camp, so no more jumping, OK??

If she is pregnant she is in BRILLIANT condition.

If she is not then she needs a bit of toning. Dry lots have no place with me, I have good grass and anything that is not showing has free access (within reason, I do not want laminitis!) My show stock are out in the day, all day, and in at night, They do get exercised- you need to build a round pen of some sort, it can be done quite cheaply if it does not have to be pretty, and you can replace it when you can afford it.

For instance - a sort of round pen can be cobbled together out of jumping poles and tin cans- you will need to use a lunge line in a pen like this but it just stops the animal constantly pulling away form you, which green on the lunge horses tend to do, and is useful to teach them to lunge in. DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE SURE SHE IS NOT IN FOAL.

Look, mistakes happen to the best of us, I had a three year old filly down with the geldings, on a crash diet because she was so fat. She had a lovely little filly foal and was a wonderful mother, BUT I did not breed her, the girl who looked after my horses when I was away for three days thought it would be funny to let the stallion in with the mares and I had two completely unexpected foals (I do not breed two year olds) one of which was nearly killed by a vet misdiagnosing her filling bag as mastitis and prescribing steroids- so, please do another test or better still get an ultrasound.

You mare would look WONDERFUL in harness, she is built for it and such a lovely colour.
Thanks for the advice RabbitsFizz
default_smile.png

she was quite scared when I first got her, but with some love and attention she is turning into a really sweet and loving mare
default_wub.png

Thank you all so much for the advice you have given, and until the end of march (when Its a year and I will know whether she is in foal or not LOL) I will not do any jumping or lunging... I don't want to hurt her or the suspected baby
default_wub.png
\

the round pen Idea is brilliant, and I'm sure I can knock something together pretty easily :D we own cattle and have a stock yard which i can move around and put into a circle
default_smile.png
so thanks for the idea

how awful about your poor little filly I'm so glad she had a beautiful foal and she was ok, but how scary for you... I bet you were annoyed to say the least...

I honestly have never tried harness LOL I could try have to find someone around who does it. alot of people on here say she would look great in harness so I will try to find one n learn how to use it
default_rolleyes.gif

Thank you very much for your help.

Im in the probably pregnant camp too so follow the good advice already given , she sure is pretty too , love her colour and markings

if she does foal have you any idea of what the possible sire/s is like ?
Hi SupaSpot, thankyou I will, your all so lovely to help me (from the other side of the world hehe)

there would be two possible stallions...

one is a bay and white pinto with blue eyes, Gift Horse Blue Mystery

Gift horse Blue Mystery.jpeg

and a taffy or silver bay with 4 white socks Gift Horse Silver Star

Gift horse Silver Star.jpeg

Feel for foal movement.
Hi AJ I have felt for movement, and I thought I could feel little flutterings... but nothing huge... so its still very much up in the air for me LOL

here are some recent pics of her, not brilliant but I took them to see her tummy, and the easiest way to take pics is when she is eating LOL so she is not all over me
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all the advice and please keep it coming
default_smile.png

this would be my second foal (if she is pregnant and I still have SO much to learn )

Thank you all!!!!

2201121.JPG

2201128.JPG

2201122.JPG

1601128.JPG

I also have udder photos and one of her rear end if you would like to see... thought I would check before I just add them in here
default_biggrin.png

Udder pictures are fine, they would far from the strangest things we have seen on here
default_rolleyes.gif

she definately looks in foal in those last pics , great that you know the possibles sire , at least you will be able to reg the foal

supaspot said:
1327260783[/url]' post='1441792']she definately looks in foal in those last pics , great that you know the possibles sire , at least you will be able to reg the foal
Thanks
biggrin.gif
Yeah they aren't great pics of either stallion but theirownerhas sold them n they are the only pics I have... Will put up udder photos after work today
laugh.gif
Thanks for the help
yes.gif

On the topic of pictures of our mare's modest parts, I am a firm believer of taking pictures, checking milk changes (texture, color, tastes), checking vulva for changes, and testing milk.

If the cops were to ever get a hold of my computer they would probably think that I was some sort of bestiality freak because I have 500 pictures from a 2010 pregnancy and probably 100+ from 2011's. So uh, keep that in mind.
default_wink.png

If you have an email I can email anybody who interested a powerpoint I made of my mare's 2011 pregnancy. It covers ways to predict the foaling and shows pictures to show the change over the course of time from a month to right before. It covers the belly, vulva, croup, milk, and PH testing. I've used this process to predict four foalings.

On the topic of pictures of our mare's modest parts, I am a firm believer of taking pictures, checking milk changes (texture, color, tastes), checking vulva for changes, and testing milk.

If the cops were to ever get a hold of my computer they would probably think that I was some sort of bestiality freak because I have 500 pictures from a 2010 pregnancy and probably 100+ from 2011's. So uh, keep that in mind.
default_wink.png

If you have an email I can email anybody who interested a powerpoint I made of my mare's 2011 pregnancy. It covers ways to predict the foaling and shows pictures to show the change over the course of time from a month to right before. It covers the belly, vulva, croup, milk, and PH testing. I've used this process to predict four foalings.
WOW Tremor I would love to see that if its ok?

my email...

[email protected]

this is only my second foal... if she is in foal so I still have HEAPS to learn
default_laugh.png

ok here are some udder pics comparison from 18th Jan, pics taken yesterday morning... thanks

so 18th Jan

18011210.jpg

yesterday...

2201125.jpg

18th Jan

18011211.jpg

and yesterday....

22011211.jpg

not much filling happening yet but maybe a little seperation of the teats? maybe??

thanks for looking
default_yes.gif

WOW Tremor I would love to see that if its ok?

my email...

[email protected]

this is only my second foal... if she is in foal so I still have HEAPS to learn
default_laugh.png

ok here are some udder pics comparison from 18th Jan, pics taken yesterday morning... thanks

so 18th Jan

not much filling happening yet but maybe a little seperation of the teats? maybe??

thanks for looking
default_yes.gif
It definitely looks like we have something going on!

I'll be sending the powerpoint to you as soon as its attached!

It definitely looks like we have something going on!

I'll be sending the powerpoint to you as soon as its attached!
YAY heres hoping!! I will wait maybe a week before I set up marestare... I'll just see how she goes,

thanks heaps for the advice
default_smile.png

can't wait to see that powerpoint should be good to see and learn from thank you!

do you think she is small to be late term pregnant? I have upped her feed to 1/4 scoop of mitavite breeda (which is an aussie brand pellet for pregnant and lactating mares and foals...) its about 17/18% protein?

Latest posts

Back