My mare has a fat tummy... could possibly be pregnant? :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you think she is small to be late term pregnant? I have upped her feed to 1/4 scoop of mitavite breeda (which is an aussie brand pellet for pregnant and lactating mares and foals...) its about 17/18% protein?
It all depends on the mare. Every one is different. I've had one mare that resembled her, belly wise. Most of my mares had BIG bellies and were very predictable. VERY textbook.

Your feed should be okay. I know some countries don't have the same brands as we do, but a higher protein percentage is good. I fed my mare 16% protien and she did great with her baby nursing. I fed it to her pregnant as well. It helped her gain the weight that she needed.

cool thanks again Julia
default_smile.png

just had a look at the power point it is brilliant! thank you so much!! your mare was huge and what a lovely filly she had!
default_wub.png
hoping for a gorgeous little baby myself before long!!!! come on Penny!!

cool thanks again Julia
default_smile.png

just had a look at the power point it is brilliant! thank you so much!! your mare was huge and what a lovely filly she had!
default_wub.png
hoping for a gorgeous little baby myself before long!!!! come on Penny!!
Why thank you! Would you believe me if I told you that my mare is actually starting to work *some* of that belly off? rofl.

Just keep watching your mare. Take lots of pictures and try to center them underneath her so you can get an accurate bag shot. (So that they're not angled.) Get her used to having her bag touched and wash it every so often. They get so gunky when they get big!

Be ready for some sleepless nights! (But if you test her milk often enough you may only stay up a couple nights!

will do, lol how old is her foal now? my mare has still got her baby belly, her colt is three months old but starting to lose it,

with her she waxed up and everything which was great! tested her milk and it was off the scale she foaled 2 hours later at 8:30pm!!! :D would love for the same with penny, Suzie (my other mare) was massive though and started bagging up 6 weeks before...Penny's previous owner says she bags up 11/2 to 2 weeks before, so I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the advice with the pics, will try and get the pics like you said
default_yes.gif
thanks for the advice
default_biggrin.png

Keep checking that udder - it looks like something is going on!!

And Tremor, could you e-mail me the Power Point presentation for me to use for my 4-H Club (maybe with some editing LOL!)? I would really appreciate it. I am trying to let them know what to watch for and expect for our 3 mares that are all between about 230 and 260 days now. e-mail [email protected] Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cassie she is such a pretty mare
wub.gif
Fingers crossed for you
yes.gif

thanks Targets mom and Megan,

yeah I'm wondering about that udder too... will keep an eye on her, going to start using her pregnancy thread on the marestare page soon if any of you want to keep an eye on how things are going
default_biggrin.png

once she starts bagging up, (if she does hehe) I will be putting her on marestare, and the more eyes the better with that
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you all for your advice and help.

Hopefully we will have a little foal here in the next month or two! Fingers crossed!!

Latest posts

Back