My Frog and I

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwater Farm

Reaction score
Several months ago I purchased a lovely little splash stallion with hopes of making him my next driving gelding (waiting for fly season to end!). Well I found out about a month ago that he is completely deaf. As you can imagine, I was a little disheartened. I have never owned a deaf horse nor have I ever really known anyone with one. I wasn't exactly sure how to proceed with his driving training! Well I am very proud to announce that I hooked him to the training cart for the second time today! He has been such a good boy. I have had to get a little creative with the training as he cannot hear any vocal commands. I have also done all of his ground driving in just a halter. I haven't had a chance to pick up an open bridle yet and he seems much more comfortable when he can see me. I figure if I can get him soft in a halter then he should be soft in a bridle! He has done very well so far so far in just the halter, he is very responsive. I do alot of lateral flexion work with him. Do ya'll have any reccomendations for an open bridle? I dont like the over checks, I prefer side checks if I use one at all. I have some pics of him hooked to my training cart that are not wanting to load. I'll try again later! I call it "the big red monster". It's a cheap home made cart I picked up for under $100. I try to do my best to prepare them for being hooked to a cart, I use a drag and indian shafts first but still like to hook them to this beast first just in case!

Instead of buying another bridle, I bought open cheeks for Skip's driving bridle, so I can switch between blinders and open cheeks. I got mine from Claudette at Country Carriages for under $20, I believe. Kandy's open bridle is just a small pony English bridle from Dover I picked up on clearance ages ago.

Your boy sounds like he's going to be a wonderful driving horse
default_smile.png

Wow, what a training challenge! Since this boy depends almost entirely on sight and smell I can understand why he'd do better in an open bridle. The good news is they're easy to get, any harness company can make you one if you request it. I'd probably get one with side check rings as that's the hard part to find in an open bridle, and you can always buy fancy driving browbands for it and such to class it up.

Good luck, I can't wait to "meet" this guy!

Leia

Good for you!

I can give you several sources for custom making either leather or beta/bio w/ no blinders. I'm going back up to Millersburg Oct 4th in person. Some bridles can just have interchangleable cheek pieces - if yours is one, than they can match your current bridle. Prices vary depending on shop and what you want. Picking up 2 wagons and a mower, plus think I'm picking up a cart body at a harness shop for a neighbor (not sure yet).

One of these days , I'll actually see your guys in person! Funny - I've done all this traveling lately but I haven't seen your guys up close and personal. Is the Cape Fear Trail Riders having a show in Nov this year? Have a couple of fillies that I might see about hauling out to get some show grounds time (they've been to several Draft Horse Functions).

I'm getting ready to start a 2 yr old ground driving that lost his eyesight in his left eye due to a pasture injury. I will be working him in an open bridle too. I can't imagine working with one that is deaf - while I'm not the most "talk-ative" person, I do use voice commands wow, that sounds truly amazing that you did this with him. Congrats on a job well done!

Thanks like always ya'll! Paula, CFTR is having their next show on Oct 7th and the November show is on the 4th! NSE is having one next weekend on the 22nd as well. Here is a picture of him hooked to the cart!

froggydriving.jpg

Cool!! He looks great.

Does NSE have driving Classes?

I believe next weekend is the USERL ride and drive at the Moss Foundation that I'd said I was going to... Don't know about the Oct show either - will be getting back from OH the day before with wagons and mower plus a cart body for a neighbor... That's why I asked about the November show, LOL. I hadn't seen any print outs up this way at any feed stores this year and I've been hauling to Draft Horse events, so hadn't tracked any flyers down previously. Not a member this year and sure haven't heard anything from anyone down that way.

If you ever want to go drive - have 2 great trail riding places right up here with trails that work for driving (have pavilion for sitting/eating; bathrooms & showers; electrical hook ups for overnight). I can drive my mares 3 abreast w/ the forecart on the trails at either. Plus, on Sundays, can drive at the Anderson Creek Hunting Preserve - but I haven't been there at all this year and don't know what they've done with trails... Later, if Spot Rouse opens his place up to public driving seperate from Draft Horse events - he now has several miles of trails cut thru the forested sections of his farm that are marked and can be turned around and added to to make for longer driving. He's talking about it... He's about 2 hrs straight up hwy 55 from Dunn.

Paula I would love to go driving!!! We went to Twin Oaks in Lillington a few months ago and that place was great!! I dont have a horse trailer at the moment though! I'm not a CFTR member this year either. I dont think NSE has driving classes.

Well, I was going to say you could rent a trailer from the Ft Bragg stables - but I remembered they'd closed completely after the tornado 18 months ago wiped them out... Hmm, thought you had one.

Email or pm me - maybe we could arrange a pickup sometime to go to Little River Trails or Twin Oaks. I can't even remember exactly where you live - East Over? I even have my old trailer can let you borrow for - if you come get it, use it a bit and then return it... I bought a new one last month but haul hay with the old one and then can loan it when needed!!

Thank you! Thats so awesome of you. Got rid of the trailer though because I sold my truck...I know I know...WORST idea ever! I live in wade, just across the bridge from the show grounds.

Latest posts

Back