Movements, do they have it ?...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihingstar

Reaction score
...and for what classes ? Filmed my 2 boys today in the roundpenn. The bay one is 2 years and around 28 3/4" - 29", will start working him in long line now in autumn and put him before the cart in spring. The silver black is only one year old and will grow to around 33" (is now around 29 3/4"). I'm new to the driving style for miniatures, but not the "normal way". How do you tell the different driving styles apart ? Unfortunately there are no one here to train for since the miniature horse is still really small in my country (only around a maximum 100 horses).

Ove (the bay one)

JMS: Thanks, looked up some videos of those styles and looks quite alike
default_smile.png
Did not know there was a western style, have only seen country and roadster at the show I was at
default_smile.png

I am going to say that I don't think you can tell from the way they go at liberty how they will go when being driven. I have a photo of our driving horse Princess where she lifts her knees almost like a Hackney but it would take me hours to find it. Video too, so she can do that at liberty when she wants to. But for driving, her action below is typical. A different trainer, with different goals, might be able to get higher action out of her, but I am content with the way she goes.

cones_ad.jpg

I know its hard to tell just by some liberty move. And much can change before they broke in driving. In the video its their natural gaits no showing of. don't know how o make them show of like I've seen in liberty movies. But how they will move in driving only time can tell
default_smile.png

I am going to say that I don't think you can tell from the way they go at liberty how they will go when being driven. I have a photo of our driving horse Princess where she lifts her knees almost like a Hackney but it would take me hours to find it. Video too, so she can do that at liberty when she wants to. But for driving, her action below is typical. A different trainer, with different goals, might be able to get higher action out of her, but I am content with the way she goes.
I'm glad to hear you say this because it is what I've seen with my mare. She has really high knees and high head while at liberty but when put to the cart, both go down!

Your little silver black is a nice mover, he should do well for you in harness in a couple of years.
default_smile.png

I'm glad to hear you say this because it is what I've seen with my mare. She has really high knees and high head while at liberty but when put to the cart, both go down!
That's fairly typical, and is one reason why as a driving person I'm not particularly interested in that pretty, flat-backed liberty movement. It's nice to look at but most the time they can't hold it in the cart! When I'm watching a driving prospect free-lunge I want to see them extend their neck down and forward, raise the withers, drop the butt and REACH. That's the root of good driving movement and a horse who naturally does that will quickly learn to work well through the topline and use their hindquarters under harness.

Leia

Latest posts

Back