More for those of you who drive...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for what it's worth regarding harnessing a mini and leaving the bridle to last, that is really, really dangerous.

What I do when I am tacking one up out in the open is to leave the halter on and put the bridle on over the halter. I never attach a horse to the cart unless it is bridled.

Also, with work, most horses can be taught to stand still and not need to be tied for harnessing. That is fairly important because it's preferable not to have the halter on under the bridle (haha) and a lot of us don't have someone to stand and hold our horses while we tack up... and obviously we do not tie horses up by their reins no matter what they do in the cowboy movies.

Sandee said:
The 48"blanket and 48" shafts have no relation to each other.  The blanket measurement (as you probably know) is curved around half of the horse (middle of chest to tail).  If you check some of the cart sites out you will see that (for instance Jerald) makes 46" and 49" shafts for minis.  But they say the 46" is for small 27" and under horses (don't know where they got the idea a horse that small should be pulling a cart).  So your 48" shafts should be fine unless your guy is really big which he doesn't look to be.  I drive a 30" and a 35" on the same cart.
And just a word on bridleing before you hook up the cart.  I too have to do the work by myself and I have done just what someone else said: hook up then bridle.  However, my gentle sweet old man (17 yr old) can become a bear sometimes when it comes to the bit and I have had to actually wrestle him to get it on once.  Therefore, I now remember that incident that could have been much worse and now I bridle, put the halter around his neck and tie him, then hook up the cart.

499069[/snapback]

You might want to look into why your horse doesn't want a bit in his mouth. Most bridling problems are a result of pain and can, once resolved, be overcome. If he has always done this are you careful when putting on or taking off the bridle not to clunk him in the teeth with the bit? You need to use your thumb to open his mouth before gently slipping the bit in and don't ever just drop the bridle off when removing it, allow your horse a moment to be prepared to release the bit. If this is a recent problem that he hasn't always had at 17 years old he may need his teeth floated as often as monthly - have you had his teeth checked recently? Have you changed bits lately or checked to make sure that the bit you are using fits him comfortably and lays in the proper spot? Once driving do you have any mouth issues such as chewing or gaping his mouth? Is the bit too wide or too narrow?

Once you figure out what the reason behind his refusing the bit you can gently retrain him to accept the bit when bridling without a fuss.

[You might want to look into why your horse doesn't want a bit in his mouth. Most bridling problems are a result of pain and can, once resolved, be overcome. If he has always done this are you careful when putting on or taking off the bridle not to clunk him in the teeth with the bit? You need to use your thumb to open his mouth before gently slipping the bit in and don't ever just drop the bridle off when removing it, allow your horse a moment to be prepared to release the bit. If this is a recent problem that he hasn't always had at 17 years old he may need his teeth floated as often as monthly - have you had his teeth checked recently? Have you changed bits lately or checked to make sure that the bit you are using fits him comfortably and lays in the proper spot? Once driving do you have any mouth issues such as chewing or gaping his mouth? Is the bit too wide or too narrow?

Once you figure out what the reason behind his refusing the bit you can gently retrain him to accept the bit when bridling without a fuss.]

That's the funny part - he doesn't always do this. When we purchased him they sold him with a 4 1/2" pony bit (he's only 35" mini). I now have the proper fitting bit and he will sometimes accept it and other times try to rear to get away. It's sort of like try to "read" a mare that gets gumpy when she cycles. I just have to gauge the "mood" he's in for the day. Once bridled he's great in harness.

Oh, and I've had his teeth done. So this is pretty much just his "thing" - like saying "I'm not in the mood today so don't bother."

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried wrapping a strip a real chamois leather (the ones they use for windows and fancy cars!!) round the bit then smearing it with honey. He will take the bit every time without hassle. Once he is doing this move back slowly until you are just putting honey on the unwrapped bit and they cut out the honey and just give him a titbit for taking the bit .

Latest posts

Back