Measuring the heel length

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
Just want to make sure I measure right here at home before the show...

When measuring heel length it's done with the horse standing on the foot, from coronet to ground, measured at the back of the hoof, correct? The steward doesn't pick up the foot & then measure the heel?

Just making sure, because I don't want to have to be doing any trimming at the show before I can measure in this mare!

Yes you are correct, the heel is measured from the cornet band to the ground, they should not be measuring any other way. Sometimes they are stood on a firm pice of plywood or level flooring for atrue measure if it is for heighth and heelm but in minis mostly just for heel.
default_rolleyes.gif

Yes you are correct, the heel is measured from the cornet band to the ground, they should not be measuring any other way. Sometimes they are stood on a firm pice of plywood or level flooring for atrue measure if it is for heigth and heel but in minis mostly just for heel.
default_rolleyes.gif

YEs that's correct and remember you if you have shod - you have to take into account the shoe and pad if you have one, they count in the heel measurement.

No shoes, just barefoot but I haven't trimmed this mare in a little while--her feet still look good so I don't want to trim her a week before the show. I'd been thinking Shetlands were allowed 2" heels & knew we were well within that limit, then I checked the rule book last night & discovered that Classics are allowed only 1 3/4" heels so I had to dash out & measure. She's okay, I get her at about 1 1/2" but if I were to pick up the foot & then measure it's close to the 1 3/4".

So, I thought I'd ask and make sure. Better to check--I should be okay. I figure if I get

1 1/2" then there's no way the steward is going to get her at over 1 3/4".

Why do Shetlands get the heel measured? With Morgans it was toe length that we had to measure, and I guess for me toe length makes more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back