Measuring... heard talk of a new proposal...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this passes, the heights will have to change by about 3 inches for minis. Some minis heights differ 3 inches from mane hair to whiter. I am not fond of this suggestion. Think of how many great quality 37-38 inch minis and future stock will lose their papers.

Fine for us pony peoples, but will really screw up us AMHR/ASPC breeders and AMHR breeders. Some of our programs are built around horses of this size. Not fair. A lot of us have really worked hard to build or programs. JMHO.

I actually agree with the rest of this post about being fair to everyone or improving the breed, but I raised an eyebrow over the Justin Morgan comparison. Really?? The whole point of that story is that pretty is as pretty does, and I don't see a whole lot of the tinies "out-pulling, out-working, or out-trotting" their larger counterparts!
default_wacko.png
I don't want "bigger," personally, but I do want "big enough." There's a difference. And to each their own anyway!
default_yes.gif

You can't kick out a horse who was never registered in the first place.
default_rolleyes.gif

Why would it NOT be registered? Coming from two current AMHR horses, the foal would of course hold papers, but has a high risk of loosing them with age.

I feel sort of sorry for your horse, Des.
default_unsure.png
So her only value to you is in how much she can win? I thought your horses meant more to you than that! What about Midnight and your other non-show horses? And for many of us a 35-36" horse is perfect as they have more power than the A's with a longer stride but don't seem so much like ponies as the larger B's. I like the ponies but if I want one, I'll buy a Welsh.

I feel that you have misinterpreted my posts and their points. Speaking from a professional perspective should have no significance to that of MY personal preference is. First of all, IF I simply only wanted to win, I would not have a barn full of the stock that I do! You stated it yourself, what about Midnight and the rest of over half my herd that are seniors and not show horses? They share the same life as my "show horses" and our big horses too. Meals, turnout, vet & farrier visits and just the same attention. If I "only wanted to win" explain why over half my herd are senior PETS? I love showing and it is my hobby. I should not be flamed for that! And to clarify, I said nothing about winning, but rather that "no body wants a horse that is just over into another division." which I still feel is true, whether you are speaking of AMHR miniatures or ponies or horses or even DOGS! Why have a 34.5" horse when you can have a 36" or 37" horse that has the chance of doing better for a number of any reasons. I constantly hear "We did pretty well, since we were the smallest horse in the ring." I am NOT saying bigger is better, and a good horse can hold their own where ever they stand; but it has been stated many times that an inch or two can make all the difference. I do have a small B show horse of 35", so I understand what it is like to be on the small side of the class(Who by the way, doesn't "win" all the time either, but I still love him to bits. We've had many challenges to overcome and I'm happy to still call him mine).

And back to your post, since we were speaking of Joy, I will. I have never stated that a horse like Joy is my ideal dream horse. She has flaws and things that I personally would not want in a breeding program - One huge one is her colouring(I do not like Tobianos). I also LOVE a horse with excessive movement(a park harness style) and yet I show Joy in Western Country Pleasure. She also does NOT "win" all the time(Nor did I ever state that she does.), however I am extremely proud of her and all she does for me. Joy is far from my "prefect/dream" horse; and yet I keep her around.
default_rolleyes.gif
I don't believe I ever stated that I did not like this horse, but rather that her monetary value as a B, IMO would decrease. That said, I do NOT have any intention of selling Joy, as she is one of my all time favorite horses because of her personality. Many people hear me rave about driving this mare, simply because I enjoy every moment I work with her. Her and I are a team, whether we are in a show ring or driving down a trail. We have fun showing, as I do with both of my older youth show horses and my step father. It is what we do as a family. It is our vacation(if you could call it that) each year and it is something we work hard for and enjoy. We love the friends and people we meet. You'll never see me devastated about loosing a class, (whether it is a grand champion class or a fun class) because I do not take it to heart. Every person has their own thoughts and preferences, and each horse has their flaws. A person can NOT expect to win every time, as you never know what a judge may see. And I feel showing is what it is. I chose to own my horses because I like them. I'm not going to toss away my pet and a team I have spent years working towards because one judge didn't like us. I do it for fun, because I enjoy it. You do CDE's. To each their own. I have full intentions to continue showing for many years to come, with the best horses I can. Winning is wonderful, but a heck of a lot of work and luck!

No offense, but you're already risking having a grade horse just by breeding two horses at the top of the current height range. I understand your feelings on this but let's be realistic...it's a risk we take.

Yes, while it may have had it's risks, that is absolutely besides the point. If I am playing fairly, by following all the current rules but half way through the game, the rules change, should it be my fault? Had I known of a rule change like this, it would have likely affected my breeding plans. Suddenly changing the height limit is simply not fair. I personally don't like horses near the top, however the best horses in my budget happen to fall here. I truly see no issue with anything I have done.

Leia (who knows she should have bitten her tongue but couldn't)
I am not sure as to why I feel as though I have to defend myself and yet because it relates to this post, I have.

As a "business", yes all this DOES worry me as I am not rich and work very hard for the few horses I have. This rule would strongly impact me, and just as many others, my post is an example of such cases. I did not say I would "like" my horses any less, but rather that this rule would directly affect the majority of my small herd. I'm sure they aren't "worth" much money in compared to some other horses that would also be affected, however it matters to me. I'm sorry you seem to feel I am simply that coldhearted and value everything on a $0.50 ribbon. I am happy with my AMHR horses that I love, however I'd say I don't want the years of time and money that I have put into them tossed aside due to an abrupt rule change.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is totally off topic but I have to reply

Des

Please do not feel the need to have to defend yourself against posts like that. You are as entitled to an opinion as much as anyone else is. I have watched your for years and you have done a fabulous job and I have never doubted for a minute that you love your horses.

Bottom line is a decision like this affects everyone from the smallest farm to the biggest. From the hobbyist that just loves to show their horse to the trainers that get paid to do it.

Kay

And for many of us a 35-36" horse is perfect as they have more power than the A's with a longer stride but don't seem so much like ponies as the larger B's. I like the ponies but if I want one, I'll buy a Welsh.
Come on now...you really think there is that much difference between a 36 and a 38 inch miniature, so as to liken them to a Welsh pony?
default_laugh.png
I WISH!!!!
default_biggrin.png

Anyways, as I remarked before, there is no way they can change these rules to discount the horses that are now registered, nor their future foals, without opening themselves to many serious law suits.

I am with those that agree with measuring from the TOP OF THE WITHERS, and using the numbers 36", and 40", a maximums. This will not increase the size of our horses...good heaven's people, they will still be the same horses, simply measured PROPERLY. Those that want tiny, will still breed for tiny, and those who want to breed performance horses, will continue to do so.

Back