Why measure to last mane hair?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiologyBrain

Reaction score
i know that to measure a mini officially you go to their last mane hair. What I’m wondering is why? It seems like a much less consistent measuring place than the highest point of the withers. some horses, like people have long/low hairlines while others have short/high hairlines. I realize there is variation of withers too, but it seems like mane hair is even more variable.what is the history and rationale for this measurement location?

Thanks!

Short answer... To make them seem smaller. [All other attributes equal in showing, the smallest horse is supposed to place higher than a tall horse.]

Minis are measured to the last hair, as it's a point lower than the withers, thus measuring smaller than a wither measurement.

I have always wondered at the history of this as well, has it always been this way?

As far as I know, yes, it has always been this way for AMHA and AMHR. Other miniature registries may use wither measurements, but I'm only somewhat knowledgeable with AMHR and AMHA.

Miniature horses were named such to make them sound new and exotic after the pony market crashed. Breeders wanted to make them seem as exotic as possible and so they.wanted them to seem as small as possible. A horse that is under 34 at the last mane hair sounds much smaller than that same horse if it is under 36" at the top of the wither.

OK, I have a really stupid question...someone mentioned this to me, but the way they explained sounded like that last mane hair was stretched down the back and where it ended...that's where you measured??? I never did get a chance to clarify. I'm assuming it is the spot where the last mane hair emerges (the base of the hair)???? I know stupid question...but it's been bugging me lol.

OK, I have a really stupid question...someone mentioned this to me, but the way they explained sounded like that last mane hair was stretched down the back and where it ended...that's where you measured??? I never did get a chance to clarify. I'm assuming it is the spot where the last mane hair emerges (the base of the hair)???? I know stupid question...but it's been bugging me lol.
No question is stupid. If you dont know the answer,

I do believe there have been people who did actually measure that way--by stretching the hair down the back and then measuring there...because it meant the horse measured smaller. However, that is not how it is meant to be done. That is just another trick to make the horse measure smaller. It goes right along with stretching the horse, spraddling the front legs, pushing down on the measure stick and even poking the back with a pin to make the horse drop it's back. Many tricks are used to make a horse measure smaller.

So what you’re saying is that it was just an innovation made to separate Minis from ponies even though they technically are just small ponies (that have been bred to look more ‘horse-like’, but still, they’re generally of Shetland origin)?

It’s funny to me because many of the minis that I know are so mutton withered that I doubt there’s a 2” difference—or any difference at all—between measuring where their last mane hair comes out verses their withers. :-D

I have no idea if the measurements of my filly’s parents are from the withers or the last mane hair. All I know is that she’s adorable and she’s little. Gunsmoke (her daddy) is gorgeous, but I think he’s probably technically not a mini—even if measured on his last mane hair (although if you pull it down his back as far as it goes, he might measure mini since his mane is super long and probably goes beyond that lower ‘pocket’ behind the withers). Miss Kitty, her mom, I think might actually be a registered mini, but I’m not sure. I’ve not measured my filly, she’s only a yearling anyway, but I’m not really concerned. Does that mean I shouldn’t refer to her as a mini if she’s ‘over-sized’?

Sound like it was a 'committee' making up all those rules long ago! Yes, call her a mini, as long as you are not showing there is no mini police!
A study of history of small shetlands, make a search of Lady Estrella Stanhope Shetland ponies in the 1800s, she had some shetlands that were under 34".

Last edited:
For those who are really interested, when the AMHA first started there was much discussion regarding not only the size cutoff, but also the method of measuring. For AMHA, 34" was finally a compromise for those forming the registry. Some wanted 36" and others as small as 30'". The reason for measuring at the last hair of the mane was for consistency. It is not to be the body hair that has been left long, but the actual mane hair where it starts. The reason for not using the withers is that many withers slope and there can be a wide variance - should we measure at the tallest point or the smallest, so a compromise established the last hair of the mane.

And of course Shetlands have a huge influence on the breed from the very beginning, but other breeds have too. My mother, back in the 50s wanted an appaloosa Shetland, but they did not exist. Small apps started in 1956 when the POA (Pony of America) started. Breeders bred Shetlands to Appaloosas and started the miniaturization (if there is such a word) which eventually led to Appaloosa minis.
IMG_3903-600x580.jpg

Oh no...Not a new issue to watch out for when mini shopping...
I have thought that all equines should be measured by the peak of the hip instead. And that ridden equines measured by the center of the spine, since that would effect how high off the ground you'd be.

Hello everyone,
I inherited a mini who has a show clipping. How do I determine where the last mane hair is growing? It looks as though part of the hair was left longer past the withers.

Hello everyone,
I inherited a mini who has a show clipping. How do I determine where the last mane hair is growing? It looks as though part of the hair was left longer past the withers.
Mane hair is a coarser texture than body hair, so shouldn't be too hard to distinguish.

That was my thinking. Why was the long strip of body hair left?
Hoping to fool the steward that is measuring at the show, they aren't that dumb, so it doesn't work, and your horse has a funny clip job.

Latest posts

Back