Mare ready to foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
345 days and looking a little bigger

Slaneyudder345days.jpg

SlaneyShimmerJune3rdeveningpics009.jpg

346 days and more development going on

Slaneyudderbelow346days-1.jpg

SlaneyUdder346days-1.jpg

347 days (day she foaled and you can see she is ready to go)

Slaney347daysJune5th2011001-1.jpg

Slaney347daysJune5th2011002-1.jpg

Slaney347daysJune5th2011003-1.jpg

So these are some pics taken over a period of 55 days - you can see in the middle where she didnt change a whole lot but crept slowly till she was nearly there.

Again I know all mares are different but I hope this gives you some hope that Suzie is getting closer and closer.

Slaney was doing all the heavy breathing when laid down in the last month as she was running out of room. Some days she could be cranky I suppose when the foal was shifting. Its all normal and natural and nothing to stress about. Its hard to predict things when you have no breeding history except she was with possibly 2 stallions. So what can you do except to keep a close eye as once she is ready things can change very quickly

Cassie,

Hope you are getting some sleep. Sleep while you can.

I want to echo the comments of everyone above.

The thing to remember also, is if you bred Suzie 6 more times

you could easily have 6 different experiences. While many mares

are pretty consistent...you throw in a year, like this year, and

all your charts and records can be thrown out the window.

Another thing both with Suz and Peanut for that matter, is that you

have been on display, to the world, for 2+ months, now.

It's not like a person, not under the Mare Stare cams, that just

suffers thru it on their own or maybe with a mentor or two.

It's seems at time almost impossible to stand another day of

waiting but you dont want her foaling before baby is cooked.

So let Suz set the oven temperature. Sooner now than later,

she will reward you with a little foal of your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
The photos are a great reference.. maybe something we should all do take photos of our mares to know what to expect at what stage..as you say each is different and tend to do what they did last time if theyv had a foal before..wish i had taken photos of my girl last time she had a foal..shes had quite a large udder for the last 3 months..it has got alot bigger the last 2 weeks and is dripping milk like i showed you in the pictures but doesnt seem to be displaying any other symtoms and i i just cant remember her doing anything different the night she foaled so personally if i ever am lucky enough to breed again i will definately be doing the photos at diferent stages ..thanks great idea
default_aktion033.gif

Brillaint pictures Karina - really shows an udder making a start, then pausing, then going for it.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Cassie my friend, I'm so sorry that I upset you with my comments about Suzie's pregnancy, I really didn't mean to.
default_no.gif

I really admire you. Not only have you taken on a pregnant mare with no real knowledge of her possible dates (would send us all reaching for the tranquelisers, or the bottle) but you have given her a wonderful home. She is lovingly cared for, has everything she can possibly need, you got your Dad to build you those lovely stables, plus here you are struggling to hold it all together as she slowly creeps nearer and nearer to giving you a very special baby. Not to mention the fact that you do all this for Suzie while you are working full time, plus your soccer and church singing, No wonder you are exhausted (and frustrated!) Dont forget that whatever our opinions, and now matter how we think Suzie looks right now, she could fool us all and decide to give us a suprise baby at any time from now on!
default_yes.gif

There are always ups and downs with breeding. Look at what has happened to Cathy and me this year - Chapella foaling about 5 weeks early (less bag than Suzie) and out in the field, Narcotics doing the exact same thing three days later and we lost a filly foal that was so excitedly wanted as it was a try out breeding with a young stallion. Then there was Mummy, red bag, two weeks before her earliest possible date. Yes she was ready to foal, but remember poor Cathy struggling through those 3+ weeks before Mummy foaled, blaming herself for the loss of Narcotic's filly, doing all the work and trying to snatch snoozes with her head resting on a window ledge, as she had no-one to help. Then of course our other three possible in foalers have all come back into season, but only for a day or two, and they DO look as though they are preggers, but no bags, and as they are now coming up to their due dates, I think we have to say they are empty - or could they go way over their dates like a lot of mares seem to be doing? We are going to start asking our stallions what they think!

We have never had an up and down year like it, but we also know that these things happen. Mares that are pregnant will produce their foals when they are cooked and ready, those that are not pregnant can fool you right up to the last minute. LOL!! No matter how many tests you do (if you do them) the only sure way to know the date that your mare is going to produce her baby is when you see that white bag on its way out with two little feet and a nose within!!

And quite apart from all that, it is thanks to Suzie and Peanut that we have all become friends and I for one have really enjoyed getting to know everyone, hearing their news, seeing their pictures, learning the different ways they like to do things, swopping hints, not to mention the poems, jokes and friendly banter. My life has been full and interesting over the past few weeks simply because of Suzie and Peanut, and I thank them for letting us share in their long journey, I've enjoyed every moment of it.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

That was so sweet and well said Anna. I am a thread stalker I don't say much but enjoy every bit of the watching
default_smile.png

Cassie, I just about spit out my coffee, i just went to check on Suzi....well it looks like she is upset that we are talking about her....I have never seen her make that big a poop right smack dab in the middle of her stall right under the camera. please please tell her we are saying nice things and no one is deserting her...we promise!! Boy is she telling us off big time!!
default_wub.png

[quote name='AnnaC' timestamp='1312483602' post='1396376'

And quite apart from all that, it is thanks to Suzie and Peanut that we have all become friends and I for one have really enjoyed getting to know everyone, hearing their news, seeing their pictures, learning the different ways they like to do things, swopping hints, not to mention the poems, jokes and friendly banter. My life has been full and interesting over the past few weeks simply because of Suzie and Peanut, and I thank them for letting us share in their long journey, I've enjoyed every moment of it.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Anna, That is so the truth.

I started watching after Zaky was born on June 18th.

Because I was on doc ordered rest, a thing I do not do well, you've all given me direction

and focus so I could tell the doc honestly, I've been resting.

Suzie, Peanut and all of you 'shift watchers' have filled my life with fun, laughter and

educated me further, because of your experiences.

For that I am almost sad to see it ever end.

i too am so grateful for my new friends that PN and Suzie have brought me. This journey has been fun and education. I kind of live in my own world here in Italy as the few friends I have are Non horsey. I live in a small village and the Italians are very closed and don't make friends easily. The PN and Suzie fan club is full of people that I would love to near to and pop round for a cup of tea and a chat.
yes.gif

Can I come too I'll bring the scones jam n cream oh and a few chocky bickies incase we fancy a dunk and a lick
default_laugh.png
..that was well said Anna and yes i think we all agree with you..I look forward to seeing whats been happening/said when i wake and of course seeing the ponies..your a great bunch of people with a world of information between you...cheers all
default_aktion033.gif

I too have been enjoying this thread. I do not post as I do not have a mini never mind a pregnant one. I can relate to a lot of this as I have alpacas and they are overdue this year too. This thread and Peanuts have kept me sane as I watch what all of you are going thru and what I am waiting for too. We can only watch and wait and do what we can. Thanks to all for the laughter, poems and good times Alpaca Nancy

Hi Alpaca Nancy nice to meet you
default_biggrin.png

Well Im off to bed now to watch my girl although im not expecting any excitment shes been very "normal" all day but you never know tonight could be the night
default_wink.png
good night all

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooooo custard creams and choccy biccies, scones with jam and cream - yummmmmmmmm! Hurry up and get here please - I will put the outside light on for you coz it gets really black at night up here - no town or even village lights in sight!

I have decided that Suzie is playing little games with us!
default_yes.gif

Think back to the times when she has caused us all great excitement with her late night antics 'watch me closely, I might foal at any minute'. We, or rather Renee does, phone Cassie and disturb her for a false alarm. Remember the time, several weeks ago, that I in a panic got not only Cassie up dressed and sitting in the barn watching Suz, but her poor Dad as well. LOL!!

Suzie likes to lie there flat out, puffing and huffing, while we are all glued to our screens in anticipation. She sits up, wriggles around, obviously uncomfortable, then flops back down, the odd stretch of two of her legs - might she be foaling or might she not? We get our hopes up every night as we watch and watch, frightened to go to our beds, or to go out to do other things, just in case.

THEN the little madam suddenly decides to end the 'will she wont she' show for the night. She jumps up, all normal with no intention of foaling, happy in the knowledge that she has had our undivided attention for as long as she wants...............and goes and paces at her door demanding her breakfast!
default_wacko.png

And she gets earlier each morning with her damand for food too. I dont know about MISS P, but I'm beginning to learn a lot about MADAM S!! LOL!!

I agree to a lot of people had picked up hints and tips from just these 2 threads.

Suzie has entertained us with her night visitors and her escapee antics. And when that baby is cooked she thats when we will see the baby.

We are all still watching (Suzie awaiting breakfast now) and you can catch up on some zzzzz's and sooner then you think you will hear the pitter patter of little hooves.

Oh and LUCKY LUCKY you off to on holidays at the end of Sept - very exotic. How long are you going for?

Karina, she isn't going, i very kindly offered to go for her so that she can stay at home snd play with her new baby. Rofl

Night all, well not you cassie good morning and have a great day

Latest posts

Back