Mare ready to foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw you out there ..it must be getting warmer seeing you had on your shorts
default_aktion033.gif

Your lucky, i only have 2 small pastures then like a little tiny pasture off the barn..wish we had more fenced it spots. Yes, i remember now you did have 2 stalls plus feed ...its actually the same set up as my barn. I think here they call this type of barn "shed row" barns .I wasnt trying to worry ya, sorry. I just know that is something that ive been thinking about. Glad to hear diane, that its not as traumatic as i thought.

Weaning is a breeze!!! They really are not like a lost child looking for their mother. All of mine have taken it very well.

Another "not to worry" !!
default_yes.gif
Well I throw my hat into the I HATE Weaning.....horses do fine, it's me that

hates it.

I didn't like weaning my sons either, so stands to reason I guess.

I was so bad with Zena, our first, that I didn't wean her until she was 10 months old.

Zoe wasn't drug down at all, she was fat and slick as a seal....

Once I started separating them for just a bit at a time, being right there, it went fine for ALL of us. As long as they weren't upset then I was OK...... I do wait until about 5/6 months though.

Duh, nothing like putting your human emotions on your animals.

They really do quite well and would probably do much better without all my intervention. For

some reason what was just logical with big horses flew out the window with these guys.

Good Morning all..still no babies but everyday we'r all a day closer
default_yes.gif
..Yesterday my girl was so very uncomfortable and i had high hopes for a baby last night..watched her until 3am and she did nothing but munch on her hay and doze so no progress there at all apart from me being even more tired than i already am..will try catch up on some much needed sleep during the day while my daughter pony sits..oh the joys of waiting for a foal lol..my girl will be having her breakfast in bed this morning due to the heavens opening and it looks like its here for some time..lovely Welsh summers
default_rolleyes.gif

ok just letting you all know I am going to be playing with the camera a bit to get it into a better position... hopefully fingers crossed, I am out with Suzie and you may get dizzy so prob best not to watch for a little while as I have a play
default_smile.png

I will let you know when the camera is up and running again.
default_smile.png

just warning you all
default_smile.png

Just a quick good morning my friends, before I rush out to do the boys (late again!). Did not get back on the old laptop last night as Cathy paid a late evening visit, so have just had to do 'catch up' with what you lot have been talking about.

Weaning - hummmmmmm. An interesting time, but must admit it has never caused a problem here. We do leave it a bit later (6 months) plus we always make sure we have at least two foals in a year so they have a friend to be weaned with. Not sure I would find it so easy to wean just one alone?? So am really interested to see how you guys manage approx 5 months down the line?

Off to do the boys, catch you all later.
default_saludando.gif

ok the camera will do for now, not brilliant but mum has just left with the iphone so I have to wait till she gets back so I can get it really good
default_smile.png
hopefully!!
default_biggrin.png

okay piccies, its really hard to get one of her totally relaxed behind as she always tightens up as soon as I lift the tail
default_wacko.png
but this was as close as I could get, she is normally looser than this if I can I will take another pic sometime for you all... I think she has a V what do you think? and she is pretty even now from front and back LOL again thats what I think, up for your brillliant opinions LOL
default_wink.png

suz4811.jpg front on view...

suz24811.jpg back end view...

suz34811.jpg left side...

suz44811.jpg right side...

I dont know why you ladies still ask for this one LOL but the non exsiting udder...

suz54811.jpg

suz64811.jpg and the business end....

let me know if you want an old one to compare with and I'll put one up...

has anyone seen Renee this morning?? I hope she is ok...
default_no.gif

Hummmmmmm.......well she does look as though her tummy weight has moved forwards a little, but no V as I know it. Also she simply doesn't look 'big' enough from the front or back, body width wise. Udder wise, well it does look as though it is moving (slowly!).

Of course it is very difficult to make any predictions from photos, but to be honest, what I'm looking at in your pictures is a mare several weeks away from foaling. :arg!

I'm looking out of my window right now at a 5 year old, never had a foal, but she is 'fat' and her tummy looks just the same as Suzie's. Of course looking at the pictures from a different 'angle' then she could foal at any time - one really does have to know a mare and to have her standing right in front of you, to give any idea/make an educated guess as to when she will foal.

Be interested in what the others think????? Also going back for another look in case I want to change my mind. LOL!!

Cassie from the rear she is much narrower than PN except up by her tail...peanuts tail sticks up higher but that could just be poor conformation on PN. But her belly looks similiar.

The udder is hard for me to see the bag real well and remember this is a newbies opinion and may not be worth the paper its printed on but IMO I believe the teats usually point alittle more to the ground almost straight. where as Suzis still point close together or towards each other. But as Im saying and typing Ive also read and heard that some mares dont even develope an udder until foaling and there is no change in the teats. We know she has milk b/c you have milked her. These are just my observations someone else may see more and have other thoughts.

On second thoughts, I'd say a possible 2 weeks approx to foaling, she does look 'in foal' (yes I know she is! LOL!!) just not ready yet. Maybe it is a small foal? Maybe she will suddenly develop that V and her bag vitually overnight, but looking at the pictures, it wont be just yet!

I too was wondering where Renee was - hope she is ok.
default_yes.gif

Don.'t worry, I am here. I have been putting more wood away
new_shocked.gif

Anna I must agree and I am glad you wrote first as I was worried about upsetting Cassie. She doesn't look ready to me either,

she has a big fat butt which will loose that nice round shape when close

she is still wide

she has no udder which in a normal mare that has foaled will grow slowly from the size it is now over the period of a month
new_shocked.gif

she still looks active when she walks

she still looks happy which she will not in the last day or two.

I sure hope I am wrong Cassie
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Must agree with the others. (I feel like I should duck? lol!)

I think she has to spend a bit more time cooking.

Oh Cassie I hope you didnt just tell Suzie whats on the message board..she looked very dissapointed and fed up when you left her then!!..or maybe she just wants more scratches shes so cute

Latest posts

Back