Mare ready to foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope we haven't upset you Cassie? I was going to say yesterday, when I saw you in with Cassie, fussing her and crawling under her to check her boobies and under her tail, how lucky you were that she wasnt at the cranky stage yet! So perhaps she has a while to go and BEWARE she might do a Miss P on you. LOL!!

By the way, you said you were getting low on hay. Does your Dad keep some round the farm or do you have to go and fetch it from elsewhere? What sort of hay do you have in Aussieland, do you get different types or is it mostly the same? Just interested.
default_yes.gif

Off now to do some outside work. Expecting Cathy here shortly and we are going to get the top barn ready for the mares and foals coz she wants to bring them back here later today or tomorrow. YAY! Babies are coming home.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Cassie I think (and I hate to say it) but she has a bit of time yet.

As she is so hairy it does add to her size. I think you might be getting a spring baby.

I would expect her udder to be fuller and her teats and they should be starting to point down if she was close.

Could be a few wks in her yet.

I find that the mares start to really uncomfortable in their last month and it sounds like Suzie had only just started to get really uncomfortable so maybe she is on track for that.

I always take pics of my mares on the run up to foaling if not everyday I take them every few days so I have a visual record of any changes. Because sometimes when you look at something everyday you may not see it but if you can go back over your photos then its easy to go back and you can check on how much progress she has made in that time.

Its hard to call it when you dont know dates and working off pictures but that would be my feeling on from what you put up. Those are good pictures and maybe in a wks time you could do another set of photos and compare to see if there is any progress.

By the way, you said you were getting low on hay. Does your Dad keep some round the farm or do you have to go and fetch it from elsewhere? What sort of hay do you have in Aussieland, do you get different types or is it mostly the same? Just interested.
default_yes.gif
I can answer some of that if you like. I'm lucky enough to grow my own hay so my guys have access all year to our own 'pasture' hay. Our hay paddock isn't specially planted it's just the local grasses. On top of that I can easily source nice lucerne and with a little more work can find clover, clover & rye, oaten and even 'native pasture' which is often very dry and great for horses with any diet issues since it really is just a good roughage filler. I also can find three types of straw (wheat, barley, oat) really easily.

I always take pics of my mares on the run up to foaling if not everyday I take them every few days so I have a visual record of any changes. Because sometimes when you look at something everyday you may not see it but if you can go back over your photos then its easy to go back and you can check on how much progress she has made in that time.
I do the same. I have photos from my girl's last month from last year that include udder, girly bits, belly from the side, front and back. Was very helpful! I'd pull them up side by side and be able to get a nice comparison I just couldn't get in my own mind.

I've started two of my girls already with front, side and udder shots. One of them is due 1st of September and the other is due later but carrying very large so I want to keep a close eye on her. I'll start documenting my other September girl in another 2 weeks. No major changes yet but it will be nice ot have the pics to glance back at when I start thinking there are some changes.

ok quick post then I am going to bed.

I am upset, can you blame me?!
default_no.gif
I have been looking forward to this foal for months!!! and when I think she is so close, and I get so excited to show you the pics because I think she has changed, I'm sorry that I am upset but I can't help it,

I have given myself a headache and am now off to bed.

I really don't know how much longer I can take of this and I'm not sure if I 'll breed again...

night.

thanks for being so honest everyone I don't think I'll be on here for a little while. i'm not upset with you I'm upset with myself I'm so dumb!

lucerne hay, and I get it from the feedstore down the road.

Cassie you aren't dumb, you're doing exactly what I did last year with my first mare, and I had a due date to work with! I bet every person on this forum has done the same in their early years of breeding as well.

The lead up to foaling is such a collection of shifts and changes for these mares and when we don't know their patterns, or if we have nothing to compare it to it is so hard to know what is coming next.

It's exhausting and your working on less sleep then you need. It's at this point when most of us would like to strangle our girls and tell them to hurry up! It's okay to be upset but remember, you're getting closer every day. Suzie has changed, she's just not all the way there yet. But she will be, when she and her foal are ready.

The dissapointment, the exhaustion, the ups and downs are all part of the journey we call breeding. Maybe you'll breed again maybe you won't but there is nothing like your first foaling so remember to treasure it, the good the bad and the ugly. (The ugly is how we all feel at 3am when you've been woken up again by the foal alarm)

Cassie we have all been there.

My first minis were a mare and stallion and they were running together so I was told when I bought them that she could be due anytime between May and June - thats a 2 month window and who was to say it couldnt even be July.

So I had to start watching her and checking for signs from March on just to be sure. To top it off she got very sick and didnt even look in foal as she lost so much weight and was very weak but the vet checked her and confirmed she was in foal.

Anyway with intensive care between myself and the vet she recovered and foaled a little colt and she had him in May but to say I was stressed and worried that whole time is an understatement.

Last yr Slaney went through all the motions of being pregnant and looking like she was going to foal only for there to be nothing. She had been scanned in foal but must has slipped it or reabsorbed it and still went through all the motions. I was watching her for weaks.

This yr they were blood tested in foal and Slaney went to 347 days and Shimmer was due the end of May but didnt foal till the end of June and I now know that she took on the heat she showed 6 wks after her previous cover even though she didnt seem to be in a full blown season and it was only for a couple of days.

We have all had the ups and the downs.

For you its harder as her previous owner is of no help and hasnt a clue who the Daddy is or when she might have taken so it comes down to watching the mare and going by visual signs.

But in saying all that we are here to support you and keep you going and keep our eyes on Suzie. She is a lot closer to foaling then she was when you started this thread 2 months ago. And remember its probably better that she has a little bit more time as the weather will be so much better for Suzie and her baby and she will get to enjoy some nice spring weather and she will be good and strong before the heat of the summer kicks in. So look at that as a positive.

Also if you decide to breed again you will be able to keep noted records of her heat cycles and when she was covered by the stallion so when it comes to foaling you will be a lot better informed on when she is due and also the signs she will show as her time approaches.

This is a learning curve (a long one) but we have had fun here on this tread and you will be rewarded with a beautiful foal and it could end up being sooner then you think.

Keep the chin up Cassie and all will look brighter in the morning.

Bree and Katrina

Thank you for sharing your early memories and stories I hope you guys had someone like your selves, when you were getting started...it sure is nice hearing that everyone goes thru the same thing. Thanks for all you guidance

hugs

Cassie keep your chin up. After all ...I still dont see Peanuts white sac.... so things may not be happening here yet either

Cassie have you switched the cam off????

Please don't be upset or mad, I am glad you posted the new photos bc this means you can relax a little and get some rest, it would be awful if you sat up for weeks and then got sick
new_shocked.gif
Many of us have been ill due to too many late nights and then it is hard to look after the chips when you have a fever.

You are doing a great job and Suzie is very lucky to have you. The warmer weather will be so much better for mum and baby.

A few more weeks won't hurt you and believe me it will be well worth the wait.

If you think that waiting with excitement and anticipation is dumb then we are all dumb, at least you know she is cooking something. Wasn't it Anna that just wrote that the 2 mares she is waiting on aren't preggy?

I had odette in this spring and was testing her milk daily and watching her like a hawk until one rainy day I let them all wander around in the barn and saw this:

28thapril2011.jpg

Now that's dumb for you.
laugh.gif

Bree and Katrina

Thank you for sharing your early memories and stories I hope you guys had someone like your selves, when you were getting started...it sure is nice hearing that everyone goes thru the same thing. Thanks for all you guidance

hugs

Cassie keep your chin up. After all ...I still dont see Peanuts white sac.... so things may not be happening here yet either

I had the benefits of a lot of online help and my mentors are a large mini horse stud f some years. I got to stalk their herd all last season and although I was only present for one foaling I gathered a lot of information during that time. And I'm still a total rookie this year fussing and being paranoid over all the girls.

I lost two months of sleep last year
default_yes.gif
want to know how many family and friends wanted to be around me after that? I was grumpier then the mare!

Talking with people, both about my own girls and theirs, kept me sane last year and its doing it again this year. After working myself into a paranoia over two of my girls (I convinced myself that one had aborted, the other had twins and the world was about to end) I ended up having a chat with my vet (he was up to check someone else's horse) and he talked some sense into me.

He reminded me that what will happen will happen and there is very little we can do to change that. I aim for a due date of day 336 but if that foal wants to cook for ten extra days it will do that and there is nothing wrong. If the foal presents wrong it isn't your fault, you just have to go with what your mare throws you.

Now set all that sensible thinking aside and prepare to talk me down the next time I freak out over somthing tiny.

It is never dumb to be inexperienced. It is dumb to not listen to those who are experienced, it is dumb NOT to learn but it is NEVER dumb TO learn.

(I hope that made sense
default_wacko.png
)

I see an extra arm on the cam so unless Suzie has installed a new scratching surface in the door I assume that is you
default_wink.png
Try and get some good solid sleep on your side while you wait, you have a good group here that is watching your girl and you'll want that rest for when the big moment shows up.

Cassie- don't feel bad! Keep your head up! She will foal and you will feel silly you got mad at yourself
biggrin.gif
You have NOTHING due date wise to give you even a slight idea so that's no help at all.

Cassie Im sure your still reading your record breaking thread and that just shows you how interested in your gorgeous little girl everyone is..doesnt matter when the baby comes so long as it arrives safely!!..dont stop watching her because nobody knows her like you do..you see her everyday and notice the little changes..theyr all diffeent and iv heard it a million times over the years people buy mares and make the usual trip to feed or go even go ride and "supprise" they have a new baby they didnt even know that was due..she could just be one of those girls that dont look like the side of house while pregnant..I had huge babies all 10lb in weight and had the tiniest bumps you could imagine so did my daughter..mares are the same..some look huge some dont look big at all..come back and chat about it we all need to learn from eachother thats what life is all about isnt it??..

Thanks everyone sorry for being such a cow I prob will breed again next year n I'm hoping that suzie is going to prove you all wrong!! ;)

Sorry if i offended anyone I didn't mean too i just thought she was looking really close n hearing that she wasn't n having a headache wasn't a great mix. Give me a day or two n I'll be right maybe I should play my piano more or start drawing again something do I'm not work watch ponies bed all the time. If forgot to plug the camera back in sorry n there is a fox out there I dnt like foxes!!! But I plucked up my courage it's back up n I'm going back to sleep night

Ps all will be well as long as she has the foal before september!! As we are going to Fiji at the end of September!!! All planned before I knew I was going to have a pregnant suzie n then I was sure she would have if by now but no...

default_saludando.gif
Cassie dont ever think your dumb your not,, i ask some really stupid questions but thats how we learn

I can see how much you really love suzie. And it is really stressful and a worry that all is going to be ok..i will be the same in about 2 months.ive never breed before.. So please cheap your chin up... Suzie is gettting really close now and we are all here to help ......
default_wub.png
Jenny

Chin up Cassie, I feel your frustration. Looks like you have a lot of wonderful support here. Keep the camera up and we will watch her and you can get some rest. God will be with her and he will take care of her because he knows how much you love her. Hugs, Karen

Wish I had the money to visit then we could take turns watching her, but since that is not possible I'll leave you with a chuckle: A study conducted by LSU's Department of Psychiatry has revealed that the kind of face a woman finds attractive on a man can differ depending on where she is in her menstrual cycle. Example: When ovulating, she is attracted to men with rugged and masculine features. However, if she is menstruating, or menopausal, she tends to prefer a man with scissors lodged in his temple and a bat jammed up his butt while he is on fire.

Further studies in this area have been canceled.

new_rofl.gif
I must be constantly ovulating then cos I just lovvvvveeeeeeeeeeee a man with muscles.
new_rofl.gif

Ok I hope you dont mind but again I am putting up Slaney at different stages so you might see her progress.

I hope it helps you see how a mare can stay very similar for a long time and only through some regular pics you can see how she creeps along. It seems to go on forever.

I have gone back to April for her first pic and she has nothing at all just 2 teats (she is 292 days here and really really hairy LOL)

SlaneyandShimmerApril11th2011003.jpg

307 days with more filling (this is where I would guess your mare is - give or take but its just a guess and all mares are different)

Slaney307days-May26th2011003.jpg

Slaney307days-May26th2011005.jpg

314 days (no huge change)

Slaney114days-May3rd2011005.jpg

Slaneyudder-2.jpg

337 days and no huge change maybe just a little more filling

Slaney337daysudder.jpg

Slaney337daysudder2.jpg

Slaney337days2.jpg

344 days - now you can see more bigger changes

Slaney344days-June2nd2011003.jpg

Slaney344days-June2nd2011005-1.jpg