Mare ready to foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

here is my number: 6140419232062

our home no. 614245799387

mums mobile. 6140429915550

suzie is looking closer everyday... hoping she won't hold off must longer for us...

Love Cassie!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of mini horses and the even better world of LB!

I would just like to say to watch your little girl like a hawk as she sounds as though she is getting close. Others will tell you of all the possible 'last minute' signs to foaling, but the best thing you can do is never to take your eyes off them!

Must just add that you must not put your mare out with your gelding - make another space for her somewhere, there is no way that she wants to be having a foal out in a field/pasture with a gelding around (and she may just foal during the day) nor should she be put out with the gelding once she has the foal, it is an acident waiting to happen. So please get them seperated immediately!

Good luck with the foaling, please feel free to ask as many questions as you need to, everyone here will be happy to help, even if to just reassure you!

Anna

ps. sorry but no picture showing.

it sounds like your mare is very close and could foal anytime , have you got a phone number of someone you could call in case of an emergency , its very helpful to have an experienced person to talk to while you wait for the vet , most mares foal without any help but if things are not progressing quickly dont "wait and see" time is of the essence and even the most difficult situatiion can be remedied if you get in there early

good luck and show us pics of baby when he/she arrives

Thank you so much for your reply Anna,

I have been separating them at night and have another paddock which I plan to put her and the foal in but I will keep her in the paddock next to my gelding during the daytime now
default_smile.png

Do you think I should separate her from my miniature horse she has been with her for years... they will still be able to see each other from the fence just wanting to make sure I do the right thing for both of them
default_smile.png

Thanks again
default_smile.png
and any more help would be most appreciated... I have helped deliver plenty of calves but never a horse so I am a newie to all of this.

I will try and get the photo on here.

Cassie

Hi and welcome. I agree with the others when they say watch her like a hawk as she seems ready. Most horses prefer to do it alone so they will wait until night time. You need to find a way to watch her from a distance or even better get yourself a surveillance cam. They are not expensive and easy to put up, this way you will be able to watch her whilst sitting at home and she won't feel disturbed. When she is out in the field sit at a safe distance so she doesn't feel threatened.

Great advice from Supaspot about having someone experienced to call whilst waiting for the vet.

best wishes

renee

Hi again Cassie. I agree that you have good advice there from Sue (Supaspot), it is always helpful to have someone to call on to be with you from the moment your mare looks as though it might foal - not only is it good to have the company, but you cant be helping your mare and on the phone to the vet at the same time, should it be necessary!

You say that you have another mini horse who has lived with your mare for years - mare/gelding/stalllion?? - whatever I would still seperate your mare before and after foaling at least for a while, and if you can keep them all so they can see each other/talk through safe fencing (remember it has got to be safe FOAL fencing) then they will all be happy and you wont have any worries about accidents. Once the foal is a month or two old and everyone seems happy, they may be able to join forces again (perhaps not if your other mini is a stallion though?)

Love the pic of your little girl, she looks very sweet and also very near to foaling! Do you know the name of the sire of the coming foal?

Anna

Thanks for your replies everyone it makes me feel so much better knowing that everything seems ok
default_smile.png
and I can ask any silly question and you guys are able to help thank you all so much!

I have a few friends who have miniature horses and they are happy for me to call them when she is having the foal which is good
default_smile.png
my vet is really good as well so I might give him a call soon and let him know that she is close to foaling...

I have put her by herself this morning. my mini horse is a mare but they are ok without each other so I thought I would leave the other with my gelding and put suzie (pregnant mare) by herself

I have a monitoring camera set up in the stable (which is where i took the pic from) it works great !! I also have a foal alarm on her so I know when she lies down to go into labour I get a lot of false alarms lol but I'd rather that then miss the birth and I have the camera set up to our computer so I walk into our study and can watch her
default_smile.png

suzie and her foal will go into our cattle yards once the foal has been born the yards are ideal. as there is plenty of grass and is super safe (new born calves can't get out and is very strong)

The name of the sire is Gift Horse Blue mystery (he is a black and white pinto with blue eyes!!) suzie,tho you can't really see from the pic is taffy so the choc brown coat and blonde mane and tail.

Suzie's name is Ralee park Butterscotch.

Thanks again for the help

Cassie

Sounds like you have everything under control. Please keep us updated, I will send prayers for a safe and easy foaling

Thank you :D

your prayers would be appreciated I will put some more pics of Suzie up she is the sweetest little thing!! can't wait for the foal to be born!! could feel it moving this morning never get tired of feeling it move. I would love her to have it this weekend (fingers crossed) but it will be in her time

I agree that it sounds as though you have everything organised perfectly for a safe and happy foaling - well done you!

Now all we need to hear is that you have a beautiful new baby and a very happy Momma.
default_yes.gif

And yes, please keep us posted as things progress and we on our part will be sending prayers.

Anna

Hi Cassie, you certainly have all the right things in place to ensure you will catch her foaling but don't under estimate these sneaky little mares. You can be watching her one minute then run to the bathroom for 2 minutes then look at the cam and see 8 legs instead of 4. It really can be that quick.

We had a mare foal last season laying almost sternal, she had the alarm on but didnt set it off. It was just lucky that someone saw her and yelled out to us. Do you have a foaling kit organised?

From the pic you posted she does look close...I wouldnt let her out of my sight.

Goodluck for a safe text book foaling. Sending prayers your way.

I too live in Australia on the Central Coast. Where abouts are you located?

If you would like to make contact, let me know and I'll foward you my number.

Cheers

Karen

Central Coast

NSW

Hey everyone

thank you for all your help but I have a few more questions to ask... sorry
default_smile.png

my mums friend who breeds shetlands and miniature ponies came out to look at her today while I was at work and she reckons that she still has 3 WEEKS to a months or more to go
no.gif
i was devastated when mum told me... But I am a little confuse by a couple of things she said... she said that her behind under her tail the line should be really straight... but I have read and heard that it should be wrinkly and you should see pink (this is what suzie is showing atm) can you clarify this for me please?

also she said that she needs to drop some more I will send some more piccies tomorrow of her tail and body and vulva so you can help ( if you lovely helpdul ppl dont mind)

I'm really nervous now and I almost cried when I heard I'm so looking forward to meeting my new foal!!

Please help me
default_smile.png

Karen hi,

I live in the hawkesbury area out past windsor I would very much appreciate your number as I am really confused and would love some clarifacation hehe...

I can send you my email address if you would prefer not to put your number on here... up to you
default_smile.png
THANK YOU!!

I will take some pics tomorrow and post them would love for some more help with Suzie

Thanks

Cassie

To be honest, looking at the recent pictures, it does seem that she may have a bit longer to go yet. Her tummy needs to drop - difficult to see with her winter coat - and her vulva need to lengthen and soften. The inside colour will change to a deep red within a day or so of foaling (with most mares!) The top of her rump, either side of her tail head/spine will become a bit soft/squashy to the touch. Then if you are lucky her udder will fill and stay filled day and night (mares udders are often tight after a night in, but soften after being out in the day and taking exercise) - you will then know that you are very close to foaling!

Of course, like a lot of mares, she may do none of these 'last minute' things LOL! Which is why we all sit up, nights on end, watching and waiting and exhausting ourselves!
default_rolleyes.gif

Anna

Thank you for your advice Anna, has helped me a lot :D

I have been noticing this as well I think I just wanted to not accept it as I want the foal to be born lol

will keep you updated... I know it will be hard from the pics but how much longer do you think?

Thank you for all your help
default_smile.png

Cassie

I agree with Anna but my mare changed 3 days before foaling so watch her like a hawk anyway.

Sending prayers for a safe and easy birth (and soon
wub.gif
)

Thank you Eagle
default_smile.png

So your mare didn't show many signs then 3 days before she foaled she did?

can I ask did she have much milk before that day 3?

Suzie has a little milk but not much...

My uncle (who does the cattle with us) said that he was sure she wasn't going to have her foal till 1st July or after!! So we have to prove him wrong!! (cos otherwise he will tease me too no end)
wacko.gif

So Prays for a healthy and easy soon birth would be very much appreciated LOL

Fed Suzie tonight as normal and checked behind and noticed that it seemed a little straighter and a little more long and open... then I looked closer to make sure I wasn't imagining things and Suzie contracted it back up again... is this normal?? how long do they have to go when they start doing this? will put some more new pics up in a few days hopefully
pray.gif
will see some nice big changes that will mean she is getting closer hehe

Latest posts

Back