Magic Marker 2017

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so very sorry. This is heartbreaking I hope your little mare will be ok, and will definitely say a prayer for her and you.

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts through the lose of Niki. She was standing, walking, drinking, and nibbling on grass; so hoped she would pull through.

Since she had a barely there bag and acted like herself when I brought her up to the barn, I had no concerns. When I checked on the mares at 2 am, it was apparent she had been rolling a lot. Her stall was a disaster, she had dumped her water, and had casted herself numerous times. We, at first, thought she was colicing.

We have five more mares to go, so must put one foot in front of another. I will post each one with pictures separately.

First is Cherryvilles Kalula and Cream. She is the mare that is hard to catch. We have kept her in a smaller pasture with one other horse. At night we bribe her up into a smaller paddock to catch. She is then put in a stall. She's doing better being in the stall.

She will be going to AZ after foal is weaned in trade for a HZ tobiano APHA mare.

We bought her in foal to Fikes Impressive Legacy, a bay pinto turned grey. She was pastured with the stallion from April to July, so dont have a exact due date. She is close.

20170415_174339-1.jpg

20170415_174350-1.jpg

20170415_174423.jpg

Forth is Monarchos Royal Princess aka Princess. She was purchased from LKF and is in foal to LK Buck Magnificent; a buckskin Buckeroo son. This is her second foal. She is roughly 298 days and is just starting to produce a bag.

20170415_175745-1.jpg

20170415_175753-1.jpg

20170415_180007.jpg

Well with very little bag Feather went into labor early this morning. Thankfully I was staying in the barn due to Rain testing about ready.

Feather had a big filly. She was a difficult deliver and had to really pull. Baby has contracted tendons in stifle area. Reason why it was so hard to get her hips out.Vet prescribed oxytocin and another form of medicine. Its for fescue toxicity. Also had to get colostrum so we can bottle feed baby. She cant stand really well also wants to cross her front legs. Legs were crossing during delivery.

We are not sure on color. She doesnt look like a buckskin, nor a bay. She almost looks like a red dun. Dorsal stripe is a darker shade of red. She has four white socks, a blaze, and one blue eye.

Congrats!

She could be a bay dun, if dun is in the mix; she looks to have a dark forelock.

Sadly Feathers filly died during the night. Got moms milk in but the difficult birth and her contracted tendons got the better of her.

RIP little filly.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your pretty filly. I hope Feather is doing alright.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feather is back to her normal self. We left the foal with her the rest of the night. In the morning we turned her out in the pasture. She paced and nickered for about five minutes. Her daughter from last year came up and then Feather took off for the rest of the herd. She never called again. The only thing that confused her was when we went out to pasture this evening to bring in the mares that stay in the barn. She thought she was supposed to come up again. When the herd started running around she forgot about wanting to come in.

Latest posts

Back