Lost my mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsj

Reaction score
Hi all

any advice appreciated, especially from UK people. I had to make the decision to euthanise my mare this morning due to hyperlipidemia. I now have an orphan filly almost 6 weeks old. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Maria

Oh how very sad - so sorry for the loss of your mare. Wish I could help as my mare just foaled and she could easily feed 2 foals and loves babies.

You should see if there is anyone that might have a mare that has either lost foal recently or would adopt a 2nd. I dont know how much milk you got from the mare before you put her to sleep but the only other thing is to get her a milk replacer for now and hope that you find a surrogate.

Hope all will be well for you and the little one.

Thank you, this is just awful, I am trying to find a foster mare if possible. If there are any UK peaople reading this we are based in Brecon , mid-Wales, Thank you

I'm very sorry!

In the past, we had to hand raise from scratch a foal from about 3 days old because his dam rejected him. You can find threads about what we did on the "Best Of" section of this message board.

I haven't really talked about it here, but this season, we did have to wean one filly at 5wks old because her dam was having issues. Thankfully, both are fine now.

What you have going for you -- big time -- is the age of your foal. You should be able to mix milk pellets and mare / foal feed (about 50/50) and have that in front of her pretty much full time. Teach her to drink milk formula from a bowl and at her age once she's eating the milk pellets (happened immediately for us w/ our 5wk old baby), you can do that just 3x a day at this point... soon just morning and night.

Our filly is now nearly 4mos old and she looks just amazing. You'd never know she was hand raised other than the fact that she is dog like in her attachment to us -- especially my husband. I think, honestly, he has turned one of our nicest ever babies into a large puppy dog.

With milk pellets, mare / foal grain (not complete feed), formula mix and soft hay, your baby should really do just fine and with out a lot of time on your part the way you'd have to do if you were hand raising a younger foal.

Best of luck,

Jill

PS do not try a bottle -- an exercises in frustration and very hard to properly clean. A bowl (not a bucket) like you would feed a dog in will be your most readily accepted and easiest option based on our experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive had this happen to me , my foal was only 2-3 weeks when his momma died , we got milk replacer and a foal feed for him and he did fine , at his age he doesnt need a bottle he will drink from a bucket or bowl , do you have any other minis?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry about your mare
default_no.gif

Thank good ness for this forum and the wealth of knowledge and experience. I DO hope all works out for your foal.
default_wink.png

At 6 weeks old, milk isn't necessary and getting a foal over a few days/hours old to drink is difficult to impossible. You can sprinkle milk powder on top of the feed, but foal feeds are usually quite good and don't need any other supplements.

I would encourage keeping the orphan with other foals if possible, geldings and other mares can be good baby sitters also.

Dr Taylor

Hi all and thanks for the advice. Blue, my filly, will drink water from a bucket so I've mixed up some milk and put that in with her. She will eat hard feed too so I've put some in for her as well.

I was actually selling some of my horses so only have her sire (a great dad) next to her and her brother, gelded 2 weeks ago where she can see him, but no other mares or foals.

It was thanks to this site that I realised what was happening to my mare so thankfully she didn't suffer for too long.

Jill helped me with my own orphan foal a couple years ago and her regime is wonderful. My colt was never behind the other foals in growth. Keep a pan or small bucket of milk out for him and refill 2-3 times a day. It's fine to leave it out. I gave milk pellets and a high protein mare/foal grain as well and when he was 6 months slowly switched over to a complete feed. Good luck with your little one!

Thanks - I have done this so hopefully she will get on ok. I am so sad about my mare, but thankful for the two beautiful foals she gave me in the short time I had her.

Hi Maria, I have sent you a pm - sorry I wasn't around to reply earlier.

I'm so very sorry about your mare, what a shock for you, I hope your little foal is not too distressed.

Nothing to add to the good advice you have alredy been given here, just wanted to wish you good luck!

Anna

Thanks, her sire is doing a great job, I think she has now accepted what has happened. She is copying dad and has been eating her feed and hay and drinking. She is looking much more settled this evening so I am hoping she will be ok. She feels strong and and healthy.

I appreciate the support, advice and kind words, it helps to know people understand.

xxx

I am so sorry to hear this sad news, I wish I was closer cos my mare lost a foal a month ago and tries daily to steal my other mares foal. Life can be so cruel at times. I am sending prayers for your little filly that she will be strong and healthy and prayers for your broken heart. ((((hugs)))) Renee

I'm SO very sorry you lost your mare
default_crybaby.gif

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Thanks, her sire is doing a great job, I think she has now accepted what has happened. She is copying dad and has been eating her feed and hay and drinking. She is looking much more settled this evening so I am hoping she will be ok. She feels strong and and healthy.

I appreciate the support, advice and kind words, it helps to know people understand.

xxx
Im so sorry you lost your mare , was she the beautiful spotted one ? but Im glad to hear the filly is doing well , she is lucky to have such a gentle sire who she already knows so well , it sounds like she will be fine .... it always amazes me how tough they are Id love to hear updates of how shes doing and pics would be lovely
default_yes.gif

Im so sorry you lost your mare , was she the beautiful spotted one ? but Im glad to hear the filly is doing well , she is lucky to have such a gentle sire who she already knows so well , it sounds like she will be fine .... it always amazes me how tough they are Id love to hear updates of how shes doing and pics would be lovely
default_yes.gif

Hi, yes she was my lovely spotted mare. She was such a great mum, but Sunny is a good dad, and Raffles a good brother so I'm hoping she'll be ok. Thank you x

I am so very sorry for your loss. At 6 weeks of age already, I think your foal has a pretty good chance at survival. Wishing you the best with that.

Latest posts

Back