Lazy Eye?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A "true" lazy eye is nothing to be worried about. Many babies and young children have this and gow out of it naturally with time.

Some of the more severe cases however, can require other measures, such as glasses, eye patches, and even surgery.(ies) In these cases though, this is not just a simple "lazy eye", and is a more complicated condition that normally worsens with age without treatment, whereas a typical "lazy eye" strengthens and gets better with age.

Are you truly speaking of lazy eye, or Amblyopia? Amblyopia - sometimes called lazy eye incorrectly, is a condition when (usually) one eye, is not developed properly at birth and the child has blurry vision. It can be helped if caught early enough. Left untreated, it will render the person a lifetime of blurry vision. I was born with Amblyopia and it was unfortunately never treated. Not until I was about nine years old, did teachers at school tell my mother than I couldn't see very well. By then it was too late. I certainly worry about my good eye and just lately have noticed that I don't see very well, even with glasses. I believe true lazy eye, actually refers to another disease of the eye. Can't remember just what though, right now.

Yes. I have lazy eye. I did not have it diagnosed until I was 29. No eye doctor before that ever told me. I just knew I could not see well with that eye. I've never known a technical name for it.

I believe it needs to be addressed very young, before 6 or 7 at least.

I have compensated for it somewhat with good peripheral vision. And I am a good marksman because the slave eye does not interfere with aiming. I have not noticed it compromising depth perception, but that could be an issue.

I could never cross my eyes as a youngster. Nor could I wink with either eye. When I have had too much to drink or am very tired, the lazy eye droops. Otherwise, no one notices it.

My son had lazy eye surgery when he was 5 yo. One eye did turn in toward his nose. Now that he is 37, that eye is showing signs of turning in when he gets tired has too much to drink. Otherwise he had perfect vision and has never worn glasses.

Well just noticed it this weekend with Mya so haven't had a chance to take her in yet. The last two mornings I have noticed when looking at her that when she looks at me the right eye looks right at me where as the left is looking out to the side.

So at this point totally sure what it is but going off research.

I have a lazy eye too , I wore patches as a child but it didnt help , my brain now ignores the pictures from that eye and unless I cover my good eye I dont see with it , my vision is worsening now Im older and i wanted Lazer eye surgery but they wouldnt do it for me as they say its too risky and I could lose my vision if something went wrong

as an adult I barely think about it but as a child I had no confidence and couldnt look people in the eye as I was so very conbcious of it , I wish Id had the surgery done but they left it too late

From my research surgery is just cosmetic and actually not fixing the problem.

My experience with many children is that typically it is just that the muscles in one eye are weaker than the muscles in the other. Very often, those muscles can be strengthened by covering the "good" eye, so that the child has to use the "weaker" eye and those muscles grow stronger. There can be other reasons for one eye to "wander" but in my experience, this has most often been the case.

Barbara

My experience with many children is that typically it is just that the muscles in one eye are weaker than the muscles in the other. Very often, those muscles can be strengthened by covering the "good" eye, so that the child has to use the "weaker" eye and those muscles grow stronger. There can be other reasons for one eye to "wander" but in my experience, this has most often been the case.

Barbara
My lazy eye does not wander. It is a totally slave eye: it goes where the master eye goes. When it droops, it just droops, does not wander. I thought an eye that wandered was a different problem.

Definitely get your little one's eyes checked while she is young enough for some corrective options.

Back