Laney (*filly* 4/10-Tinkerbelle) *New pics pg 187*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the rough times thing, Megan....We had a crummy time for a while, too.

It's good to see updated photos of the 'kids' ...... Ricky looks quite happy with his new status.

He looks like he enjoys having Tink as a friend.

Jake looks fabulous....Looks like he won the lottery getting you for his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
no worries Megan
default_smile.png
I know I did that with Suzie for a bit with Finn, If I had to change paddocks or anything I would get dad with Suzie on the lead and me with Finn on the lead... he was actually just following mum but gradually it got to be that I could put a little pressure and he wouldn't balk at it... remember just go slow and patient
default_smile.png
Finn is really good at walking now and I can lead him anywhere, just slowly working on that trot still hehe. you will get it! your a great mum to your mini's!

have things started to settled down for you guys yet? praying for you!

Yes Megan, would love to hear how things are going with you and the fabulous furkids!
default_yes.gif

I have been checking in but not posting again! AHHH! I have to get back in gear!

Things are starting to get better for the family finally. It was very scary for a while. I am hoping things keep looking up for us. we needed it for sure.

Poor Tinkerbelle has round worms.. even after I wormed them all. I used Ivermectin last time (which is the only deworming Tink had gotten I think) and I got Safeguard to treat them all this time. The vet says it is common for foals to get round worms but I still hate it. She is passing them really well over the last 2 days and I am deworming her again tomorrow. I think I will do the 5 day treatment.. but not doubled since she is so young. Ricky will be getting the 5 day treatment as well just to be safe.. even though I don't see him passing any at all after the 1st worming. Maybe it will deflate his lovely belly. I am worried about Tink getting colic as she goes through this treatment though.
default_sad.png

I plan on trying to catch up tomorrow. I miss you ladies and have been tuning in when I can.

Poor darlings
default_sad.png

Don't worry yourself, the important thing is you caught them. I have no idea why some get them and some don't, of the six foals weaned here (my 3 plus the QH) one had a heavy burden of worms and one had a small one, all the other's where fine!

Oh Megan you poor thing! round worms are horrible
default_sad.png
poor Tink, get better little baby! Thanks for reminding me I better worm my horses again too.

I have worked out a really great formula for when I think Finn is about to colic... if I see him pawing his legs lying down alot or starting to roll I mix it up and give it to him and he is better almost immediatly! its fantastic, but kinda weird and I don't know if you will be ale to get it... :S it works every time.

I am really hoping and praying everything gets sorted for you Megan! I miss you and your babies!

big hugs being sent your way! thanks for dropping in and updating us
default_smile.png

Poor Tink has them pretty bad but I am glad to see she is passing them. I am guessing the wormers we used just didn't treat them but Safegaurd is supposed to do really well. I am doing the 5 day treatment for both Tink and Ricky and I think I may see a change in Ricky's belly after this. He has never gotten more then a 1 day worming so maybe he has some that never flushed out.

Ricky has began to crib
default_frusty.gif
It seems like he is doing it since he has been moved in with Laney and Tink 24/7. We are moving Laney out alone in a little so maybe that will help but he is driving me crazy. I have to find something to stop it.
default_torch.gif

Ricky also has his front heels grow faster then his toes so a few months ago we started to trim them down ourselves and my husband does a great job. He wants to be a farrier and quit his day job and I said no lol. He has done really well though.

Cassie- what do you give Finn for colic? I am interested to know
default_yes.gif

I am looking out the window and Ricky seems to be trying to 'teach' Tink how to crib on our privacy fence. I must go yell
default_xbud.gif

Great to hear from you Megan - fingers crossed that things keep moving 'upwards' for you!

Sorry to hear that Tink has worms - as Bree said, some do and some dont, no matter what you do when they are youngsters. But I would be careful about worming her with your 5 day too soon after the Safeguard, she may not need it and too much wormer can upset young (and old) systems. Why not get your vet to do a poo sample for you to check how things are, before you proceed?

Do you mean that Ricky is seriously starting to crib, or is he just attacking/chewing on the wooden 'areas'. Find something nasty - but safe - to paint on all your wood work first. Then have a 'look' at his diet - Ricky has plenty to occupy himself with so he cant be bored (a normal reason to start chewing) but wood and/or earth eating can mean that something is lacking or has become lacking in the diet? (mind you years ago I had a horse that started this due to the fact that she suddenly took in too much of her salt lick!! She used the wood coz her body told her she needed to 'restore' her system back to normal!!)

Ricky definitely never had worms like this so I hate to see it
default_sad.png

I have talked to a vet and the is the 2nd day of treatment for Tink (she was due for a worming and we started 2 days ago). What we are doing is giving her a smaller dose of the Safegaurd over a few days. We know she is infested with ascarids so the smaller dosing over a few days hopefully will keep her from getting blocked as she passes all the worms. They are large and disgusting. EVERY poop has them now. Good to know she is passing them but YUCK! I didn't want to do the double dose 5 day Safeguard treatment- or even a 5 day treatment at the normal dose because I was worried about her being so young, but the vet says these smaller doses should be good. We will do another worming in a few weeks and then maybe see how a fecal looks.

I am puzzled to why Ricky is cribbing because of how/when I have seen him do it. He is now kept down with Laney and Tink and I stall Laney and Tink together for am and pm feeding, while Ricky is fed in the open stall beside them. One place he cribs is on the outside of Laney's stall when it is closed and close to time for me to let them out. This seems to be a nervous type of thing.. or impatient type of thing maybe. The other place is 1 particular board on the privacy fencing, I have seen him crib while the others were still stalled and right before it is time for me to let them out to graze in the pasture for the day. BUT.. it is funny how you mentioned the salt like, Anna.. because I didn't even think of it. Their salt like has really gone down a lot and I have seen him licking often, which he never did before really. So I don't know what to think now? lol.. I haven't changed his feed yet but we are going to try a balancer similar to Grow and Win starting next month I think. Maybe it will fill in the gaps of what he may be needing? I am going to try to find something to paint on there like you said, Anna. I know I have seen some things for cribbing in the store and I will see if there is a household item that is safe to use as well. Thanks as always for all the advice
default_smile.png

Laney scared me BAD when she went into heat. She gets super super swollen, and I thought she had hurt herself or something. The vet said give it a day- it is probably just her heat.. and if it went down the next day we know it was.. and it went down so we take it she is just a super sweller. Pretty obvious to tell when she is ready to breed lol

wow poor little Tink and NAUGTHY Ricky! do you have a mineral block in there with them?

last summer my girls and Finn started all licking the ground, they were looking for extra minerals and as soon as I got a block in with them they stopped licking the ground and attacked the mineral block... maybe as Anna suggests he needs some extra minerals with your summer heat?

poor Laney, wow what a great way of knowing when she is in heat!! I can never tell will either of my girls LOL it will be interesting if I get to put Penny with a stallion in October like I'm hoping how she reacts LOL I reckon it will be very funny (she is such a dominant mare )

ok my recipe for Finn when he has colic is a little different...

My mum is all into essential oils from a company called "Young Living" they are an american company so I'm sure you can get stuff from there but they are fantastic, I use their animal shampoo for all the horses and their coats shine like crazy! and it has really good minerals and no nastys
default_smile.png
actually here is a link to their website if you want to take a look
default_smile.png
https://www.youngliving.org/oils4wellness

the products that I use are:

an oil called Di Geze:"Di-Gize™ is a dietary supplement that provides valuable aid for digestive concerns and helps support a healthy digestive system." so pretty much its a gut liner, helps to pass things through the system. I put drops of this... anywhere from 1-10 depending on how bad he is in a small bowl then I get a product called Ninxia Red which comes from Nixia berries(which is similar to Goji berries)

"nutrient-infused wolfberry drink that will energize, fortify, and replenish your body. Rich in wide-spectrum antioxidant activity, NingXia Red has the highest levels of naturally occurring, age-defying S-ORAC activity to help support immune function, cardiovascular health, and nourish the eyes. NingXia Red also contains lemon and orange essential oils rich in the powerful antioxidant d-limonene to promote healthy liver function. Ningxia wolfberry, the primary ingredient in NingXia Red, has been cherished for centuries for its health, energy, and longevity benefits. Whole Ningxia wolfberries and other nutrient-dense fruit juices, like blueberry and pomegranate," which helps with all over body wellness

then I get half a carafate (really good for ulcers and can be got from vets I put this in a 20mm syringe and shake it till the carafate disolves the I syringe it down his mouth, about 10 minutes later he is so much improved I just find it brilliant and has eased alot of stress for me with my Finnley man

I know some of you might find it weird and I am in no ways saying it is a cure to colic but I have found that it does help. and does relieve things for Finn.

hope that helps you Megan
default_smile.png

good luck with your fur kids!

Wow I have never heard of any of that, Cassie! I am going to look it up
default_smile.png

They have a huge mineral lick in their pen and I noticed Ricky is licking it more often then I have seen him before. Laney licks it after ever meal, religiously. I have the block sitting by a bucket of water because Laney likes to drink, then lick, then drink again. I think he either is following her lead or discovered he likes it.

I do wish Ricky would drink more water though. I thought about seeing if I can add something in the water that would attract him to it more. I do feed him some soaked shredded beet pulp to add some moisture to his meals.

I think his chewing is a nervous things as it is when he is waiting for the others to be with him or to be let out in the pasture. I am definitely going to find something to pain on the wood though. He has marks on the shed as well.

I am also thinking the balancer may help him if it is from a lack of something in his diet. There is something called special K (or something similar) that is the same as Grow n Win we found and will try.

Thanks for all your help!

I am getting into photography and have a few pictures of the minis I need to share. I will post them soon!

Have you tried Gatorade? Ivenever used it but heaps of people have said how it helps with minis not drinking.... Might be worth a shot?

Would love to see your piccies Megan sounds like great fun!!! :D

I will definitely look into some loose minerals too. We have a few different mineral blocks but I will look at some different types too.

Here are some photos from the last week or so
default_smile.png

my daughter and Ricky

cheyricky-1836.jpg

cheyricky-1968.jpg

cheyricky-1895.jpg

a few photos I took of Ricky to practice at photography. Love his little snip
default_smile.png

rickysnip-1795.jpg

ricky-1724.jpg

more to follow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinkerbelle!

tink-2173.jpg

tink-2166.jpg

Ricky from the side.. what do ya'll think of his condition? lol

ricky-2207.jpg

Beautiful shots! I love those two close ups of Ricky
default_wub.png

Looks like the lovely Tinkerbelle has already caught him on height!

they are both looking wonderful!

Ricky is looking really good Megan!

love those two photos of him! brilliant photography!

how old is Tink now? she is sooo tall LOL :D

Oh the pictures are brilliant Megan - thanks for posting them.

Ricky looks great, but I cant believe the height of 'little' Tink - she really is growing fast!
default_yes.gif

I think you need to keep practising with that camera - we will be happy to give you our comments on an endless number of pictures! LOL!!

Thank you everyone! I have some more I need to post of Ricky and Tink together. Tink picks on Ricky hehe

Cassie- Tink is 4 months old now.
default_smile.png
She is SO tall! She and Ricky are about the same height now and look so cute together. She will be taller then him before too long.

I need to send in Tinks papers but I am confused on what to say the coloring for the back legs are? The options online said something like sock, stocking, and white.. and since her white goes so far up I am unsure what to put. Can any of you suggest what it should be?

OH! I did as you said Cassie and used Ricky to show Tink how to lead and it worked beautifully! She did not flip out at all! I also did as Bree has said and first had her turn instead of walk forward and it really was the best way for me to do it with her because she didn't resist nearly as much. I am so proud of her and so was her little boyfriend.

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure her white markings on her back legs would be considered stockings; I'd probably make a notation that the white goes above the hocks.

Very pretty.

Latest posts

Back