just some pics...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly's Run Minis

Reaction score
i put misty and toby together as a driving team and they did awesome together! i've decided i'm going to drive them together in a parade in october. heres some pics!

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

Straightning them out...

IMG_1362.jpg

All set up...

IMG_1363.jpg

Although they look cute together, I do not agree with your decisions with this at all. Two two year old, VERY GREEN horses, with a green driver, in a parade is just plain dangerous! I'm sure you should know this.

I have been driving for a few years now, and I am always improving. I would only now say that I am not a real green driver. That said, I do not break my own horses, I leave that to the professionals, as so much can go wrong! I also don't show in obstacle driving or parades until I know my horses can handle it and be safe - That takes many many miles and time. Parades can be very scary for a horse, and I have had my bombproof horse get worked up, and I was glad I had him in hand and not in the cart! I also don't think a team is a good idea! A team is not just something you do because it is fun, it is very challenging! I am not against training, and even carting a older two year old, but there is no way I would want a team of two year olds! They are also not the same height, which will cause them to be unbalanced. They also don't likely have the same size stride. That simply would not be fair to Toby.

Why not drive ONE? Or better yet WALK one?

This all just sounds so unsafe to me, but I'm sure you will not listen and do it anyways. Best of luck, you will be in my prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although they look cute together, I do not agree with your decisions with this at all. Two two year old, VERY GREEN horses, with a green driver, in a parade is just plain dangerous! I'm sure you should know this.
i'm not a green driver, i drove my first team, a team of DRAFT PULLING HORSES, no less on an excersise track when i was 11 and continued doing it until i got and trained misty. misty isnt completely green either, i've been ground driving her for nearly a year and she knows all the commands by heart and has a rock steady 'woah' on her.

I have been driving for a few years now, and I am always improving. I would only now say that I am not a real green driver. That said, I do not break my own horses, I leave that to the professionals, as so much can go wrong! I also don't show in obstacle driving or parades until I know my horses can handle it and be safe - That takes many many miles and time. Parades can be very scary for a horse, and I have had my bombproof horse get worked up, and I was glad I had him in hand and not in the cart!

i was in this parade last year with a pony i had, this parade is for animals only and doesnt have anything that would spook the animals. all of my minis have been to fairs and it is nothing they havent seen before, otherwise i wouldnt be doing this.

I also don't think a team is a good idea! A team is not just something you do because it is fun, it is very challenging! I am not against training, and even carting a older two year old, but there is no way I would want a team of two year olds! They are also not the same height, which will cause them to be unbalanced. They also don't likely have the same size stride. That simply would not be fair to Toby.

i've been training them together in a team for a week now and they keep up perfectly with eachother and they will only be walking in the parade. i'm sure toby can handle that. like i said i've been driving teams for a while and, to me, teams seem easier than a single horse. but that's just my opinion and it means nothing on this forum, right?

Why not drive ONE? Or better yet WALK one?

i want them to have the experiance and i have a foot problem and if i walk for to long i cant feel my feet.

This all just sounds so unsafe to me, but I'm sure you will not listen and do it anyways. Best of luck, you will be in my prayers.

i find this extremely insulting. do YOU know these horses?? have YOU been training and working with them daily??

Just chiming in here. . .

I know we've had a lot of discussions and I am sure you have had a lot of chances to learn from the invaluable knowledge given to you by experienced Miniature Horse owners. Take this opportunity to be open minded and accept what you can and cannot do!

First of all - let's think of the proper age to start driving! For Miniatures and big horses alike, you want their bones fully formed before you start asking them to pull or carry your weight and tack (be it a saddle or a cart). Generally speaking you want to ground drive them their 2 y/o year and start breaking them to cart slowly their 3 y/o year and start actively driving them their 4 y/o year. By then they are MENTALY and PHYSICALY ready to be able to do the task you are asking of them!

Second, their heights are WAY out of range of each other. You want them to be CLOSE and I mean about a 1/4" to 1/2" difference at MAX! It just simply isn't fair or easy for the smaller horse Toby to be expected to keep up and it isn't fair for Misty to have to "pull his weight"! And Midnight Star Stables is right - their strides do not match and therefore it will be harder and more strenuous for Toby to keep up!

Third, (I have a feeling this will get controversial) I do NOT feel like you should allow a stallion who you fully intend on breeding to be expected to be driven with a mare who will, eventually and at some point be in FULL BLOWN HEAT and his hormones will take over no matter how well you trained him. He's a stallion and that's his job. It's not his fault but thats what nature told him to do. I'm not saying that there should be no stallion/mare driving teams but I do believe that should be left to the professionals at the minimum as even they will have major accidents occur!

This was my three scents worth. . .Take it for what it is but realize that YOU are in control of their lives. DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THEM!!!!

PS: They are both beautiful miniatures in their own right.

Third, (I have a feeling this will get controversial) I do NOT feel like you should allow a stallion who you fully intend on breeding to be expected to be driven with a mare who will, eventually and at some point be in FULL BLOWN HEAT and his hormones will take over no matter how well you trained him. He's a stallion and that's his job. It's not his fault but thats what nature told him to do. I'm not saying that there should be no stallion/mare driving teams but I do believe that should be left to the professionals at the minimum as even they will have major accidents occur!

This was my three scents worth. . .Take it for what it is but realize that YOU are in control of their lives. DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THEM!!!!

PS: They are both beautiful miniatures in their own right.
she is in heat now and he doesnt care. he knows when he has his bit in it's time to work. also, i've seen people break in a 2yrold to cart, and i think a person on this forum has as well. the parade is the only time they will have to pull me and by then they will be nearly 3yrs old. i really dont think it will hurt/kill them to do it once.

I so agree.

Without talking about the size difference, without talking about the stallion/mare pairing these babies should be allowed to grow up before so much is expected from them.

Growing up is a good thing.
default_yes.gif

Molly

I dont think midnight star stables was tring to hurt you in any way. She was telling you how she felt.

I dont think you will like what others have to say. You need to stop and think that you are coming on here and telling us or showing us what you are doing. Then when someone has something to say about it you get mad.

Please put your big girl pants on for once.

I do have to agree with midnight star stables for what she has told you.

you said in your post that this is for animals only. Dont you think that people will be there too? So there is a chance that your horses will get spook.. I have seen this happen

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU..

Molly

I dont think midnight star stables was tring to hurt you in any way. She was telling you how she felt.

I dont think you will like what others have to say. You need to stop and think that you are coming on here and telling us or showing us what you are doing. Then when someone has something to say about it you get mad.

Please put your big girl pants on for once.

I do have to agree with midnight star stables for what she has told you.

you said in your post that this is for animals only. Dont you think that people will be there too? So there is a chance that your horses will get spook.. I have seen this happen

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU..

like i said before, my horses have been to numerous fairs and have seen everything that will be in this parade and they dont care. and stop with that stupid 'big girl panties' crap, it doesnt work at all and it annoys me

she is in heat now and he doesnt care. he knows when he has his bit in it's time to work. also, i've seen people break in a 2yrold to cart, and i think a person on this forum has as well. the parade is the only time they will have to pull me and by then they will be nearly 3yrs old. i really dont think it will hurt/kill them to do it once
Do you not realize that EVEN ONCE will do some form of harm to their fragile bones that HAVE NOT finished growing? I have seen WAY TOO MANY young horses started TOO DANG YOUNG and later in life, they SUFFERED from it. You may not see it now, in five years or ten years but just wait until their "golden years" and you will see the difference between one who was expected too much at too young of an age and one that was allowed to mature fully beforehand.

YOU ARE ALSO TAKING A RISK IN GETTING A TWO YEAR OLD MARE PREGNANT! Accidents happen even to the best of breeders. Do Misty a favor, keep her and your other mare WELL AWAY from her until next year ATLEAST.

You are playing russian roulette with a loaded gun all the way through this aspect of driving green horses, driving a team, putting a stallion and mare together AND much less not allowing them to have the proper time to grow and mature fully - SOMETHING is bound to go wrong and it could permenantly damage or KILL you, Misty or Toby.

Please, please listen to us. We have never offered you advice that would harm you or your horses! We are only trying to help!

Do you not realize that EVEN ONCE will do some form of harm to their fragile bones that HAVE NOT finished growing? I have seen WAY TOO MANY young horses started TOO DANG YOUNG and later in life, they SUFFERED from it. You may not see it now, in five years or ten years but just wait until their "golden years" and you will see the difference between one who was expected too much at too young of an age and one that was allowed to mature fully beforehand.

YOU ARE ALSO TAKING A RISK IN GETTING A TWO YEAR OLD MARE PREGNANT! Accidents happen even to the best of breeders. Do Misty a favor, keep her and your other mare WELL AWAY from her until next year ATLEAST.

You are playing russian roulette with a loaded gun all the way through this aspect of driving green horses, driving a team, putting a stallion and mare together AND much less not allowing them to have the proper time to grow and mature fully - SOMETHING is bound to go wrong and it could permenantly damage or KILL you, Misty or Toby.

Please, please listen to us. We have never offered you advice that would harm you or your horses! We are only trying to help!

omg does no one on this forum read ANYTHING i say AT ALL??? i'm not even going to give you a full reply, look back and you will see what i said about my experiance, misty's experiance and toby's behaviour.

omg does no one on this forum read ANYTHING i say AT ALL??? i'm not even going to give you a full reply, look back and you will see what i said about my experiance, misty's experiance and toby's behaviour
OKAY THAT'S IT. FINAL STRAW THAT BROKE THIS PATIENT WOMAN'S BACK!

Do what you want, post what you want and get ticked off how you want and don't listen - just how you want. You post here and we give you advice and you explode, rant and feel the need to strike out at our members.

You need to grow up if not for your sake, for your horses sake. You won't be any better in this industry than what you are willing to LEARN and you know what that takes? OPEN MIND. Try it for once and see all this great information that is on this forum to learn. Heck I wouldn't amount to DIRT if it wasn't for this forum and the GREAT AND OUTSTANDING knowledge and the people that know it and are willing to FREELY GIVE IT.

Personally, I won't be responding anymore for ANY reason to your posts. It's a waste of time and I am suprise ANYONE replies at all.

Just keep one thing in mind, no one here on this forum tolerates immaturity, cursing or HURTING other LB members. Karma has a way of coming back around. Just remember that the people that you step on while on your way through this life, you will have to meet them again sometime in this life and don't expect them to have open arms.

I'm ready to be flagged for this one if it deserves it, but honestly people, why bother even replying to such posts?

I think everyone here has the best intentions when they post recommendations! Actions speak volumes, much more than words.

If you continuously do not like what your hearing, perhaps you should look at yourself, because honestly not everyone can be "out to get you."

I do have to agree with everyone posting so far, whether you choose to listen or not is your perogative.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

OKAY THAT'S IT. FINAL STRAW THAT BROKE THIS PATIENT WOMAN'S BACK!

Do what you want, post what you want and get ticked off how you want and don't listen - just how you want. You post here and we give you advice and you explode, rant and feel the need to strike out at our members.

You need to grow up if not for your sake, for your horses sake. You won't be any better in this industry than what you are willing to LEARN and you know what that takes? OPEN MIND. Try it for once and see all this great information that is on this forum to learn. Heck I wouldn't amount to DIRT if it wasn't for this forum and the GREAT AND OUTSTANDING knowledge and the people that know it and are willing to FREELY GIVE IT.

Personally, I won't be responding anymore for ANY reason to your posts. It's a waste of time and I am suprise ANYONE replies at all.

Just keep one thing in mind, no one here on this forum tolerates immaturity, cursing or HURTING other LB members. Karma has a way of coming back around. Just remember that the people that you step on while on your way through this life, you will have to meet them again sometime in this life and don't expect them to have open arms.

I'm ready to be flagged for this one if it deserves it, but honestly people, why bother even replying to such posts?
thats FINE with me!! i've been hurt many times on this forum and no one gave a crap, so whatever. i think some of YOU need to grow up. as you all LOVE to say, i'm a kid and your adults so maybe YOU GUYS should grow up a little and put YOUR 'big girl panties' on!

the parade is the only time they will have to pull me and by then they will be nearly 3yrs old
according to the AMHA online studbook, your horses were both foaled in April 2008, they are 18 days apart in age. Right now they are just 27 months old and by the parade in Oct they will be 2 1/2, so how does that add up to nearly 3 years old. Actually I think everyone should leave you alone and let you drive your team in the parade, with your vast experience and knowledge, you should do just fine.

omg does no one on this forum read ANYTHING i say AT ALL??? i'm not even going to give you a full reply, look back and you will see what i said about my experiance, misty's experiance and toby's behaviour.

YEAH I REMEMEBER THE LAST TIME YOU SAID YOUR STALLION AND MARE KNEW HOW TO BEHAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU FORGET SO QUICKLY WHAT HAPPENED LAST TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU HAD TO GIVE YOUR POOR POOR INICIENT MARE A SHOT TO TERMINATE YOUR MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED TO GROW UP LITTLE GIRL. DRAFT HORSES ARE NOT LIKE MINIATURES. THEY CAN HANDLE THE WEIGHT. THE MINIATURES NOT SO MUCH, TILL THEY ARE OVER 2.

YOU REALLY ARE NOT THAT BRIGHT ARE YOU. I THINK YOU NEED TO RESEARCH MORE INFORMATION ON THE MINIATURES, INSTEAD OF COMING ON HERE AND CATCHING A F**KING ATTITUDE WHEN SOME ONE WHO IS WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY MORE SMARTER AND EXPERIENCED THAN YOU.

YOU ARE A NUT CASE WHO NEEDS TO LEARN MANNERS. GROW THE **** UP!!!!

YEAH I REMEMEBER THE LAST TIME YOU SAID YOUR STALLION AND MARE KNEW HOW TO BEHAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU FORGET SO QUICKLY WHAT HAPPENED LAST TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU HAD TO GIVE YOUR POOR POOR INICIENT MARE A SHOT TO TERMINATE YOUR MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED TO GROW UP LITTLE GIRL. DRAFT HORSES ARE NOT LIKE MINIATURES. THEY CAN HANDLE THE WEIGHT. THE MINIATURES NOT SO MUCH, TILL THEY ARE OVER 2.

YOU REALLY ARE NOT THAT BRIGHT ARE YOU. I THINK YOU NEED TO RESEARCH MORE INFORMATION ON THE MINIATURES, INSTEAD OF COMING ON HERE AND CATCHING A F**KING ATTITUDE WHEN SOME ONE WHO IS WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY MORE SMARTER AND EXPERIENCED THAN YOU.

wow. yeah, I'M the nut case. didnt southern charm just say no swearing and to treat others with respect? at least i dont call others nut cases and stupid!

"Just keep one thing in mind, no one here on this forum tolerates immaturity, cursing or HURTING other LB members."

quoted from southern charm herself!! i believe you just did all 3!

wow. yeah, I'M the nut case. didnt southern charm just say no swearing and to treat others with respect? at least i dont call others nut cases and stupid!

YOU WANT TO TALK RESPECT! ROFLMA ROFLMA ROLMA!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK THAT WORD UP WHY DONT YOU. YOU BY FAR DO NOT SHOW ANYONE RESPECT.

YOU BAD MOUTH EVERYONE THAT GIVES YOU ANY KIND OF ADVICE.

REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR MARE!!!! YEAH YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DONT YOU!

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I don't think anyone needs to resort to using bad language here. That is not going to help anything.

I think too many people think that small horses are not dangerous. I had my mare run away with me while driving, and believe me, it is really scary. I have no idea what caused her to start running. There was nothing out of the ordinary that I noticed. There was a case just recently where a bunch of people were injured and a woman was killed when two horses ran away with a wagon in a parade. Animals and people can be seriously hurt or killed from accidents. The reason people are telling you not to do this has nothing to do with liking you or not; it is because they care for you, your horses, and the other people/animals that will be around. I think it just speaks of your inexperience when you say that the parade will be the only time your horses will be asked to pull you. A parade is not the place to introduce them to pulling you! You are just asking for something bad to happen.
default_no.gif

Although really strongly worded, I think thats what alot of forum members wanted to say but couldn't. It may be a bit over the top, but you are dishing that out also.

Please, look at yourself before you blame multiple people giving good sound advice. You are only hurting your self, your reputation and your minis.

We all want you to be successful with your minis and for you to enjoy them for a lifetime. No one would say anything if they didn't care about this breed so passionately!

Take care!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back