jj in foal? new mares pictures/soon jewel too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my computer back from the shop last night and am playing catch up. You have received some great advice, and your mares are adorable. God Bless little Snowflake, hope she comes around with some good groceries. I got a filly like like a few years ago, so skinny she now has scars on her back from rolling and compressing her spine. Now she is the picture of health, (fattness), HAHA!

yes i have been hand feeding...I will worry about any bad habits later
And, you might experiment with different types of treats; my horses really have their preferences. Last year, the little mare, while pregnant would only eat one type of treat; she won't touch them when she's not pregnant. Right now, she's enjoying 3 different flavors/brands, her least favorite is the peppermint treat, not sure which she prefers of the other two, she takes them equally.

a few pictures of my gang. I decided to shave snowflakes face so that i could see what I had under that fur. ( i was encouraged by seeing rhe transformations on the shaved before and after pictures on the forum.) she is cute!. I can't wait to be able to do her moms face as she looks to have a gorgeous head!. JJ the pinto was supposedly seen breeding a small black stallion multiple times in June. Does she look about right for that? She was housed with the stallion prior to that..but I have no one to ask about if they had bred.

jayj.JPG

jjbelly.JPG

daiseyduke.JPG

snflakecvvxxx.JPG

snflakecxx.JPG

jj.JPG

jjaXX.JPG

Lovely
default_smile.png

Can we have some pics of JJ from behind to see how wide she is and a full profile pic (head included tree not)
default_new_rofl.gif

What an adorable little face snowflake has
default_yes.gif

hi. I will be posting pictures later today, But for now I have a question. All my hay has fescue. I had reserved non fescue timothy hay( 50 bales) for the pregnant girls but the folks sold all but 20 bales out from under me, which I can not get until next week as they are unavailable. I have decided on a stradegy..what do you all think.

for the 32 inch..i would guess maybe 300 pounds? 1- 1.5 % of body wt..3-4 1/2 pounds of feed a day

other is over sized..guess 35 or 36 inches and stocky. . guess of 400 pounds? so 4 to 6 pounds feed per day

I am going to figure about 4 1/2 to 5 pounds of feed Each per day...

how does this sound for per horse per day split in 2 feedings

1# 7 oz timothy cubes

1# 8 0z chopped timothy alfalfa (chris cox forage blend from lacerne)

1 # 3 oz beet pellets

7 ounces omalene 300 mare and foal growth.

My vet warned me about jacking up too much grain based mare and foal as she does not want large babies.

will also be throwing a little long stem hay/..right now it does have fescue..next week it will not.

Does this sound like a decent maintenence feed for 2 minis due late May early June..or in J's case whenever?

I feed strategy now. I used to feed omolene, and my horses looked great (except my stallion who became overweight). The problem that I had with it is that it made my horses very high strung. I switched them from the omolene (sweet feed) to strategy (pelleted feed) and saw a HUGE difference in attitude.

i am not too worried about 7 ounces of omalene 300 making them hyper. If it does I will change it out.

I am more concerned that this is a balanced ratio for bred mares, with correct nutrients and fiber and of close to the right amount of feed.

hi. I will be posting pictures later today, But for now I have a question. All my hay has fescue. I had reserved non fescue timothy hay( 50 bales) for the pregnant girls but the folks sold all but 20 bales out from under me, which I can not get until next week as they are unavailable. I have decided on a stradegy..what do you all think.

for the 32 inch..i would guess maybe 300 pounds? 1- 1.5 % of body wt..3-4 1/2 pounds of feed a day

other is over sized..guess 35 or 36 inches and stocky. . guess of 400 pounds? so 4 to 6 pounds feed per day

I am going to figure about 4 1/2 to 5 pounds of feed Each per day...

how does this sound for per horse per day split in 2 feedings

1# 7 oz timothy cubes

1# 8 0z chopped timothy alfalfa (chris cox forage blend from lacerne)

1 # 3 oz beet pellets

7 ounces omalene 300 mare and foal growth.

My vet warned me about jacking up too much grain based mare and foal as she does not want large babies.

will also be throwing a little long stem hay/..right now it does have fescue..next week it will not.

Does this sound like a decent maintenence feed for 2 minis due late May early June..or in J's case whenever?
Doesn't sound like too bad of a mix, however, lets make a few adjustments to hit each's likely weight. Non-pregnant weight for the 32" mare is probably around 250#, so into winter and pregnancy 300# probably isn't too far off. Non-pregnant weight for stocky 35-36" mare is probably 325-350#, so 375-400# pregnant isn't too far off. With pregnancy, they should definitely be getting at least 1.5% of their bodyweight daily, and perhaps with winter even 2%.

Looking at Purina's feeding chart, and while they recommend Omolene 200 for pregnant/lactating mares, we can extrapolate to Omolene 300#; and I'd go with at least 1# each to be sure they are getting their minimum mineral/vitamin needs met. Beet pulp is high in Calcium, so I wouldn't go over 1# daily, or you have to start adding a phosphorus source to balance that Ca; not to mention 1# beet pulp that has been soaked makes a hefty sized meal (even 1/2# per meal then soaked makes a pretty good meal for a mini).

32" mare - we'll go with 300# to be sure she isn't shorted during pregnancy and winter (1.5%BW):

1# omolene

1# beet pulp (I'd even consider dropping htis down to 1/2#).

1.5# timothy cubes

1.5# tim/alfa chop

35-35" mare - we'll go with 400# to be sure she isn't shorted during pregnancy and winter (1.5%BW):

1# omolene (perhaps a bit more, like 1.25#)

1# beet pulp

2# timothy cubes

2# tim/alfa chop

If you don't want to go with that much Omolene (which is the minimum amount suggested by Purina), then you would have to top dress with a vit/min supplement like their 12:12 mineral or go with their ration balancer type product (I think its called Natures Essentials or something like that, I don't feed Purina, so not sure of all their product names).

If you plan to soak the timothy cubes (I usually have to soak my cubes, as they are too hard to feed dry), you could soak them with the beet pulp pellets. No need to soak the chop or omolene (although, if your horses aren't used to beet pulp, sprinkling the dry omolene over the beet pulp would likely help them eat it).

I'd also recommend a slow feeder of some sort for their long-stem hay, so they don't blow through it in no time. There are many kinds out there. The Hay Pillow is really nice, and she came out with mini size the first of the year: http://thehaypillow.com/

Here's a pic of my mare's trying out hte hay pillow:

Misty and Tana 2 - july 21, 2012.jpg

I have two mares I have to attach theirs to the fence or they throw it over the fence, but otherwise they work pretty good. [i can't attach the gelding's to anything or they destroy them.]

There are also nibble nets and busy snackers (I think that's right on the second one); they tend to be safer than regular hay nets.

If I wanted to add dumor vitamin Gold pellets as it has 42ppm selenium and other goodies and followed the instructions on the tub would this be good?

Both mares appear to be in good condition right now

I am more then happy to decrease the beet pulp..and yes I do soak the BP and the cubes together before adding the chopped hay and grain.

Those hay feeders are amazing. I am going to try and make one. I had some old netting around for about 10 years that would work grreat....But I am thinking I threw it out about 1 month ago,. Figures! Thanks for your help Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
If I wanted to add dumor vitamin Gold pellets as it has 42ppm selenium and other goodies and followed the instructions on the tub would this be good?

Both mares appear to be in good condition right now

I am more then happy to decrease the beet pulp..and yes I do soak the BP and the cubes together before adding the chopped hay and grain. Thanks for your help Lori
You probably could do that, but you'll want to give a mini sized dose, and if you keep the Omolene in there (even at a reduced rate) you'll want to feed even less. The directions say to give 2 oz to pregnant and lactating mares, so mini dose would be 1/4-1/3 of that depending on the size of the mini (so 1/2-3/4 oz), and if you going feed them some omolene you'll want to decrease it again so maybe like 1/4-1/2 oz daily). Read the directions and make adjustments. If your mare's don't get hot on the omolene, they should do just fine on the 1# (to 1.25#) of that daily with little need to add the Dumor.

You may have to make adjustments, up or down, to what I mentioned above; its just a starting point. And, don't forget to change them over slowly to not upset their systems.

Mine pretty much just get grass hay and a small amount of feed, but we don't have fescue problems here (or so my previous vet told me, he retired). I've had no problems feeding the mares our homegrown grass hay, so I'm hoping he was right.

I would love nothing more then to find a good source of non fescue,. It would be cheaper and a heck of a lot less fuss. I am not really into fuss if ya know what I mean. If the vitamins are not needed it isn't hurting them at all to sit on the shelf. one less thing I HAVE to mess with.

well unless I hear something to make it contraindicated guess this wil be my starting point. Hoping to have them off fescue hay by next week.Hoping that will be enough time to avoid foaling problems

I would love nothing more then to find a good source of non fescue,. It would be cheaper and a heck of a lot less fuss. I am not really into fuss if ya know what I mean. If the vitamins are not needed it isn't hurting them at all to sit on the shelf. one less thing I HAVE to mess with.

well unless I hear something to make it contraindicated guess this wil be my starting point. Hoping to have them off fescue hay by next week.Hoping that will be enough time to avoid foaling problems
You could probably feed just the tim/alf chop and the omolene 300 and be just fine. Although, I think I'd probably still suggest adding a slow-feeder of fescue free grass hay just to give them something to occupy their time. [i know Diane is an advocate of straight alfalfa hay, but that type of feed program hasn't worked well for me. I prefer either all grass or grass/alfalfa mix.]

Can you get the compressed bales at TSC? They might be an option as well. I know price plays a part in our choices when we have to buy much of our feed at a store, so sometimes mixing this and that to get the best bang for a buck is necessary.

going to look at hay friday. He said he seeds for orchard grass, a little clover,etc not fescue but can't promise NO fescue as his neighbors sow fescue.Are small amounts of fescue ok?

I surely will be glad to resolve this feeding problem

Thank you everyone. I guess I am just going to go with the chopped hay. It's $20.00 for 40 pounds. 40 pounds ought to last 2 mini;s awhile esp if i add in some beet pulp.

I mean honestly it has Chris cox's name on it.LOL. I do worry about there not having enough to chew. I mean soaked beet pellets, soaked cubes...doesn't give them much to do in between.I have never given any pellets or cubes unsoaked. That is just asking for problems isn't it? Could I feed them there good food and give them a little straw to chew on. Or will that constipate them? I noticed they liked it when I put straw in their stall before.

I believe my last 90 days before foaling are beginning NOW>jewel is due end of May first of june..and I am not sure when jj is due. Supposedly around dsame time but she looks very much more pregnant to me.

see pictures belowjjbelly.JPGjjrear.JPGjjxxx.JPGxxxjj.JPGjewel flirt.JPGjewelxxx.JPGxxxjewelface.JPGjewelcx.JPG

gorgeous girls!

some mares will look more pregnant then others depending on height, whether their a maiden how fat they are how big the baby and how much fluid they carry lol (Diane can give you more advice on that lol)

they both look good I'm guessing JJ is the bay pinto she is lovely! and yes she looks more pregnant in the pics but can we get some of Jewel standing straight side on like how you have JJ standing? thanks
default_smile.png
and congrats again! yippee for two babies! always better then 1 (if you can help it
default_smile.png
)

I feed pelleted feed and hay pellets dry and haven't had any issues; however, I wouldn't feed beet pulp pellets dry.

Diane..not impressed a lot with the cubes..certainly would not feed not soaked. got another lead on hay.If I can find some non fescue..It would just be the best option for us i think. I would still supplement..but not with all of thiss tuff i bought ugh

Thank you everyone. I guess I am just going to go with the chopped hay. It's $20.00 for 40 pounds. 40 pounds ought to last 2 mini;s awhile esp if i add in some beet pulp.

I mean honestly it has Chris cox's name on it.LOL. I do worry about there not having enough to chew. I mean soaked beet pellets, soaked cubes...doesn't give them much to do in
Got to thinking about it, and I think you misunderstood when I said just the chop and omolene; you'd still need to feed taht 1.5%BW; so like 4-5# chop for one and 6-8# for the other, which is about 2 bags per week. [The mix might be cheaper.] Does your TSC carry the Standlee mini cubes? While still somewhat hard, not near as bad as the hard full-size cubes, and the hard ones soak up faster than the big cubes.

Latest posts

Back