I would love to hear about some

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
Wow I was just thinking today about the funny quirks our 2 horses have. Today I was walking our new puppy and my gelding Banner finally noticed him, :flirt: and OH BOY he was hot stuff then, snorting and making the biggest fuss he could all because he saw the little fuzz ball
default_wacko.png
: . Banner's weirdest & at times most annoying quirk is he hates dogs, and he's never been chased by any dogs before that we know of, got him as a yearling. But when he see's them close to the fence he makes a big fuss and tries to go after them through the fence if they are 'tempting' him
default_rolleyes.gif
: . He also goes after anything he doesn't like in his pen, :no: he's made bunny pancakes before
default_wink.png
: . He's actually tried sneaking up on crows and tries to get them too, but he's just a little too slow for that.
default_shutup.gif
: He has a ton of different ones but this is the one that really stands out to me, and I don't want to bore you lol.

My mom's colt BuckWheat loves to push he's grain bowl all over while he eats,
default_eat.gif
: which he also ends up spilling it all over :eek: . Then after he's done he will first go over to Banner's bowl (once Banner's done) and go lick Banner's bowl clean then roll while licking it out
default_poke.gif
: & then go do the same to his bowl, he does this everytime morning & night if we let him :new_rofl: .

I would love to here about your horses quirks as well because I know I'm not the only one with these crazy munchkins
default_wub.png
:

Ash :saludando:

When it is feeding time we have a mare that will run her teeth up & down over the door until she is fed. If she isn't near the door she puts her foot in the feeder & slings it across the ground.

My leopard boy Spot is Mr. Curious. Everything in his pen is fair game! When Dave is out there working, his tools get spilled or carried off. He's dumped the wheelbarrow on me a time or two. He likes to bite shoes, and I've found a brush I left in the pen at the very pack part of the pasture. Yesterday I had the hose out there to fill the tanks, it was off, laying on the ground, and by the time I turned around he had broken my new nozzel! His name "I Spot Trouble" fits him to a "T"!

One of my mares gets really impatient waiting for her meals. She stands with both front feet inside the feeder. She broke 2 of the plastic ones before I finally welded her a metal feeder.

bellebucket.jpg

My oldest mule, Maestro, sings for his supper. It's really cool to hear him "singing". Not the normal sound mules make but a sweet humming noise.
default_yes.gif
:

When my DH bends down to feed the horses my stallions runs over to him and grroms his head. He will not settle to eat his feed unless he grroms my DH head. It is his way of thanking us.

Well, we tend to like minis with lots of personality so we have quirky ones. We also have one that rubs her teeth on the stall door at feeding time, but I had forgotten about that quirk. This would be our FWF Blue Boys Magic Man filly. We didn't even know she could whinny until we took her to the Equine Affaire one year - by herself - and she whinnied to the other horses and sounded just like a big horse! So while everyone else whinnies for dinner, she rubs her teeth. Another quirk of hers is lying and rolling in the biggest patch of manure she can find, so it's a good thing she is mostly black.

Her biggest quirk, though, is standing on things - anyhing that will make her taller, even if it is very narrow or totally unsafe. She will flip over those black rubber feed tubs (any size) to stand on, which is cute, but she will also put her front feet on fence rails or any narrow ledge she can find. Our trailer dividers are specially designed so she can't stand on them. Yes, she will also climb stairs and tried to get INTO the easy entry cart when we first showed it to her. She also loves to wipe her left front hoof on my pant leg just before going into the show ring.

Our 2 year old stallion has a few quirks of his own. About once a week he will drag one of his paddock toys into his stall, I guess to take to bed with him. This might include a very mangled hula hoop (which barely fits through the door), a Jolly ball or even an orange cone. He has some other quirks I am just discovering as they occur in the middle of the night and I can hear him on the baby monitor I use for our pregnant mare! I have had to go out each night this week to check on HIM and see what he is up to - and of course he looks totally innocent when I get there.

LOL Some of these are pretty funny :new_rofl:

I'ld be a nervous wreck if Banner or Buck stood on things
default_unsure.png
: but I don't see how you could really stop them from doing it anyways
default_wacko.png
: .

That is a very cute picture though minimule
default_yes.gif

Target, your stallion sounds too cute dragging stuff to bed with him
default_wub.png
:

I'm sure your husband apprieciates his daily grooming too, Zoey. :bgrin

Cathy your mare sounds like she knows how to get her way, I bet teeth getting run up & down wood isn't a nice sound lol.
default_sad.png
Just thinking about it gave me goosebumps :bgrin

Wow I bet 'Mr. Curious' is quite the handful, just like having a little kid hanging around, but no back talk
default_wink.png
: . I love he's name too it sounds like it fits him good
default_yes.gif

I just remembered another one of Banner's quirks, Water he can't stand getting wet unless it's raining or snowing which he loves but he hates baths. But since he's a very good boy he tolerates it, just with a very depressed face...
default_wub.png
: Mom's colt Buck on the other hand loves baths & water .... :eek: Ha ha Gotta love them. :new_all_coholic:

Keep them coming :cheeky-smiley-006:

Ash

One of our stallions will always stick his tongue out and hold it between his teeth whenever I open his stall door to get his halter on to take him outside. It sticks out really far, too! And no, he's not a dummy foal... he's 9 years old and has sired wonderful foals!

When I muck out the stalls the girls will stand by the gate and wait for their friend the wheelbarow to arrive! They LOVE the thing! They'll rub their lips along the sides and bang it with their teeth, chew on the handles and then itch and occasionally knock it over! :eek: This happens every day, before there's any poo in it (if I'm lucky, they've knocked it over with stuff in it before!) if there is any pee-covered shavings they turn their noses up in disgust and trot away, watching from a distance. Someday I'll get pictures, it always gives me a laugh!
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
With my winter jacket..has one of those bungy thingys on the bottom of it. Maggie will walk over grab it gently with her teeth..pull and snap it back at me. <LOL> So funny because she peeks out from under her forelock, with that one eye of her's to see if I am paying attention. Too cute.

Or..with my walker.. I have a scarf wrapped around the front and the ends tucked under so it will not come off. Well.. Maggie searches with that wee muzzle of hers and finds then end and pulls.. she is so happy with herself.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I can't let her eat around the house any more because when she is full and wants attention.. she'll run over and remove the lid from the trash can..and run around the house with it. Sigh ~~

Theia used to try to steal my son's hats all the time. Ella used to love dragging the tarp around to spook the Fjord mare I used to have. Have some pictures of that.

If I was up to it.. Maggie, Theia and Ella the Donkey would make great circus animals.
default_yes.gif
: :eek: :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
My friends mare has a mealtime ritual. She takes one or two bites of grain and then drops to the ground and rolls a few times.Then she gets up and finishes her meal.She does this at every meal! The first couple of times I saw her do this I thought she was colicing. Funny girl! :bgrin

Jag will stand on anything in his stall, his salt block, the last rung of the stall door, anything. I call him my circus pony. He loves it. I have been busy building a barn and haven't had the time to spend with them so now he has learned to pull the mat by the door up. He lifts it with his teeth!! I am not sure how and flips it up, leaves the others alone, kind of like, so you think you have no time huh! There are other things but I can's remember them right now.

Great stories. One of my mares, Merryweather, loves the zipper on my insulated coveralls. She will gingerly take it in her teeth and then zip it up and down and up and down. She also really likes to drink from a pop bottle. There is a video on youtube of her doing it. My husbands donkey always wants to sit in your lap or on your back as soon as you crouch down in the paddock. My big clydesdale snores really loud when he sleeps. And I mean loud!! I can hear him in the house with the windows closed. They are all lots of fun!!

This is why I love miniatures. They have such unique personlities. My Shyan is the quarky one in my herd. He loves to give kisses and loves to tickles toes. I can't walk in with sandles without him rubbing his lips all over them. Another thing he does is when he sleeps flat out. You'd think he was dead, but when you get close enough you can see him moving his lips.

Picture149.jpg

We have some additudes here, too. My mini's think they have to stomp to get their food...When I am giving Posie her going get that itch rub, she takes out what ever I have in my hair holding it up. Clippies, scrunchies anything. Lucy has to rest her head atop of mine
default_rolleyes.gif
: And Bulldog, it he sees the girls getting to much attention, he comes plowing threw and moves them away. I just love their personalities.
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

These are some very very amusing stories :lol: . I love haveing mini's what they lack in size they definently make up for in personality
default_wub.png

Sandy, your stallion sound tooo cute
default_wub.png
: , the only time our guys here stick their tongue out is when their getting a bath =)

Don't worry Rebecca our guys take off with the muck bucket.... they must think if it was no fun to pick it up the first time it might be more fun to pick it up twice
default_rolleyes.gif
: . Needless to say they get growled at now but they still try their best to get at it...
default_wacko.png
:

Don't those little bungy toggle things hurt! Shari I feel your pain, they hurt a lot especially when they hit you & your already frozen in cold. :cold: I happen to have them on a pair of my shorts, ouch.... I think Banner gets a kick out of it though :risa_suelos: it sounds like your running a little circus there from the sounds of it, Too Cute! =)

Izzy that must of been so scary for you, maybe she's trying to get her daily exercise
default_wink.png

Wow, I think Jag would be a great circus pony, & at least he's entertaining himself lol :bgrin .

Rhonda, I can imagine what you said put into a really really cute cartoon
default_wub.png
: they sound like a ton of fun.

shadowsmystictopaz, I wonder if some horses just want to eat their food on the ground...? Our colt does that too
default_poke.gif
:

Oh man that picture is priceless, with Shyan sleeping, the other one looks very innocent :hypocrite: lol, Our guys sometimes lay flat out in the sun, worries some people though :lol: .

Jodie, that's just too cute, stomping thier feet, maybe their tap dancing for you
default_rolleyes.gif
: . Posie sounds like she really wants to return the favor
default_wub.png
: . And it sounds like Bulldog's name fits him pretty good LOL. gotta love these personalities. :lol:

Anymore? :new_tomato:

It's a fun game.... :eek:

=) Ash

Oh no bungy thingy doesn't hurt, in the winter I am too well padded!! :bgrin

Nice to know there is another mini out there that likes to do that!

Goldilocks chases the birds that come to pick up dropped grain. :bgrin She loves her little swimming pool.

Princess is a real idiot. She pees the whole time she is eating. She actually has to force herself by the time she is done because there is nothing more to come. :eek: I think this is so gross. :smileypuke: Sometimes she pees right on her food. But she still eats it. ICKY. I really don't know how to prevent it.

Mike loves to open my velcro shoes. Then he pushes it shut and opens it again. Over and over. If I ignore him he will pick my foot up with the velcro in his mouth and shake my foot. Of course I am sitting down when he does this with the shaking bit. :bgrin If I wasn't, I WOULD be. He also picks up the lead rope when it is snapped to another halter. Tries to do the leading. He is funny.

Taker picks his grain bucket up and moves it like he doesn't want to eat with you. One day he picked it up and took it and set it right next to Goldilocks and ate by her side.
default_wub.png
:

There seems to be something new every day. Mine are all yearlings. And the wheelbarrow is a thing of great joy. I have a lot of help when I bring it in the pen. They love their balls and jugs filled with rocks. An old vacuum cleaner hose (no metal in it) is a great toy. Shake it all over, and chase each other trying to get it away from each other. I'm sure there is much more. Can't think right now.
default_wacko.png
:

Oh man Bonnie, you have some personalities there :lol: That's a little odd with Princess and her grain, I agree :smileypuke: lol. I can't really think of a way to prevent it either
default_wacko.png
: . Mike sounds like a entertaining little fella
default_wub.png
: . That's so cute with Taker, wow you guys have a lot of mini's that have names that fit their personalities :bgrin . The vacum hose is a good idea... might have to give them one of those then get the camera
default_yes.gif

Anyone else care to play?

:risa8: :488: :cheeky-smiley-006:

This is fun!

Ash

Latest posts

Back