I would love to hear about some

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure Ill play I have a tooth rubber too who rubs on stall door until he gets his grain. I have two no make that 3 stall door standers. They stand on the door support so they can reach further out of their stalls. I have 3 who will hand me their dishes when they are done eating and 2 who will put their dishes out in the aisle .My stallion Sonny will wait until he sees me coming with their cookies and will pick up his dish and just stand there holding it until I get there. And my quirkiest one is Sassy who will smile the minute anyone comes in the barn as she knows smiling gets you cookies. lol.

Good thread!

Mercy will fetch her feed pan on command and will hand it to me... she also steps up on things to make herself taller. If I am not fast enough and she has flung the pan out of her stall, she will pick the gate up in her teeth and shake it. She has taken out her foals that have been standing in the way with her feed pan. Maybe she was a Frisbee player in another life?! She has also learned to "groom" me without using her teeth - she can be quite vigorous with her upper lip!

Freedom runs her teeth along the metal gates, stretches herself out like a dog and then does it again, making sure I am paying attention to her. When she wants her backside scratched, she turns it right to me so I can scratch her back and croup.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Independence "smiles" - the flehmen thing. She does it on command or when I am mixing food. Guess who gets fed first?! Cuteness prevails!

Nefertiti (Modern Shetland) makes her grain into mush when she eats. She is finally putting on weight - her teeth are fine according to the veterinarian and she is healthy. She snorts at EVERYTHING...(sounds like a piece of paper stuck in a fan) she is quite full of herself.

Weatherly (Morgan) likes to nuzzle me with a mouthful of food. Consequently, my clothes and hair are always "Weatherized"....
default_wacko.png
: She also squeals when I spray her with fly spray and she squeals when she is excited (about breakfast, going in, etc.). For her size, she is a pocket pony - nose constantly on my shoulder. She loves to be brushed and turns herself to where she thinks I should be working. she also thinks grabbing the hose is a lot of fun, especially when it is filling a water bucket.

Enterprise (Morgan) is another pocket pony...she doesn't have any quirks that I have noticed yet except she also likes to play with the hose.

Fun thread - I needed a picker-upper today!

Denise

Silversong Farm

we have several teeth-rubbers too, both minis and riding horses. our pens are pipe rail so the teeth thing is REALLY annoying... a couple also do it on their plastic feeder. have several that paw and bang on the lowest bar too... then my riding mule Annabelle, she stands at her feeder and whimpers, well actually it's kind of a cross between a grunt and a whimper i guess... sounds like she believes she is going to die of starvation before we get her bucket dumped in her feeder :eek:

all of my mini donkeys will try to grab the halter and lead rope if i come in to catch someone else... or try to help lead once that someone is caught. several of them like to mouth shoes too, and will sometimes untie them if you aren't watching... Peggy Sue is fascinated with my cell phone, i have to watch she doesn't pull it out of the holder or even pull the whole thing off my pocket where i have it clipped. and Ellie Mae started at barely a month old putting her head down, ears back, and chasing any dog that dared come into "her" space, even though some of them were twice her size.

and the wheelbarrow, OMG :new_shocked: you had better watch close if you don't want it dumped LOL

they love their cones and jolly balls, for some reason they like to push them into the dirt and drag them around by pushing forward... not sure how to explain it... and Dillon (avatar) has a piece of lead rope that we tie around one rail of his pen, just an over-under, and then he pulls on it until he gets it off, and carries it around. he also likes to poop in his feeder <gggrrrrr> he also sits like a dog but NEVER when i have the camera darn it!

my mini mare Impatiens was taught some tricks as a yearling and any time she sees treats she starts volunteering her tricks, over and over and over. she will "wave" or "beg" - pawing with one foot - and if you do it back, and then switch your feet, she will switch her feet too.

most of the donkeys will just about climb in your lap if you sit where they can reach you. they give hugs by putting their chin over your shoulder and leaning into you... my APHA filly Luna will also hug me if i come stand in front of her by her shoulder, she puts her chin over my shoulder and leans in until i put my arms around her neck.

oh yeah and my daughter's horses... she has a mini stallion Austin who likes to streeeeeeeeetch his front feet out, belly almost to the ground and little butt in the air - and her Arab Thorn, she has a certain way she calls him when she walks out and he ALWAYS answers back with the same funky little whinny...

don't have him any more but Renegade, my first very own riding horse, would take things out of your pocket...

and our VERY first shared horse Applejack, when we used to take them to the neighbor's yard to "mow" and had to clean up after them, would very carefully take the grocery bags full of poop out of the wheelbarrow and set them back down on the ground.

:aktion033: Yeah more players lol.

Awww
default_wub.png
: Sassy sounds like quite the smart little gal, no wonder she's sooooo happy.

Denise,

Mercy sounds like quite the circus pony with all those tricks, she might I've been a frisbee player in another life, or maybe a border collie? lol
default_rolleyes.gif
: My gelding, Banner also loves his butt scratched, the little goof :bgrin , Independance seems like backwoodsnanny's Sassy, quite smart
default_yes.gif
: . I'm glad Nefertiti is putting on weight, that's good
default_smile.png
, sometimes our guys here mush up their grain then eat it
default_wacko.png
: . I remember pictures of Weathery & Enterprise (I love their names) on the back porch. They both have very expressive faces
default_wub.png
: .

Susan, I am soooo glad that neither Banner nor Buckwheat are teeth rubbers *knocks on wood*, I can imagine how annoying that sound is
default_poke.gif
: The Brat (Banner) sometimes strikes out at by the gate and bangs it all around, that's pretty annoying, plus I'm afraid he's going to hurt his leg or get it caught in the fence/gate, but he thinks it's fun & loves to see me run from what ever I'm doing to try and get him to do something ... well not destructive :risa_suelos: .

That's soooo cute with Annabelle
default_wub.png
: , I can only imagine lol... Don't worry, if I try to catch mom's horse Buck before I catch the Brat he tries very hard to intervene, that is until I growl at him then he goes and sulks....
default_torch.gif
: Don't worry, Banner loves to poop in his water at night when he's stalled.... :new_all_coholic: Awww that's toooo cute with Impatiens, with all her tricks =) .

most of the donkeys will just about climb in your lap if you sit where they can reach you. they give hugs by putting their chin over your shoulder and leaning into you... my APHA filly Luna will also hug me if i come stand in front of her by her shoulder, she puts her chin over my shoulder and leans in until i put my arms around her neck.
That's soooo cute!!! :bgrin

I have to be really careful whenever I'm kneeling down by Bratface, because he has a striking problem, not out of meaness, maybe playing...? I know it's not mean because I've seen him strike when he means business & this is just him throwing a foot out there with no aim. Still have to watch him though :new_tomato:

Austin sounds like he's doing the play bow things that dogs do, ha ha so cute. That's funny about your daughter and her Arab too =) .

Renegade sounds like he was an in your pocket type of fella
default_wub.png
: .

Maybe Applejack was thinking that there was no reason to pick poop up and he was trying to show you that lol
default_blush.png
:

Ok I'll
default_shutup.gif
: now...... unless anyone else wants to play of course :new_rofl:

:cheeky-smiley-006:

Ash

We have a gelding who when he has finished his dinner in his stable will pick up his feed bowl and throw it out over the door. I think its his way of telling us he wants some more!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My horses all have their distinct personalities, just like humans do, but Jagger is the comedian of the bunch. If he was human he would be "Larry, the Cable Guy". There is no way I can keep fly mask on my herd becausr the minute I put them on, Jagger is busy ripping the velcro tap off and removing them. The other thing is he is a "butt man". He LOVES to have his butt scrached. This has been going on since the day he was born. If you walk up to him, he will look at you, size you up, turn his behind to you and slowly start walking backwards till he connects with you and start wiggling his behind against you begging for a butt scratch. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh...these minis are too funny! They are so entertaining! Mine do some goofy things, too.

Silver does the weirdest things. He LOVES those giant balls (42" and up). It's hard to describe, but he will start with his chin on the ball, then his neck, then he pushes it with his chest and rolls with it 'til he falls sideways on the ground! Then, he will find the stopper, pull it out, then throw it on the ground. At which time, he will roll on the ball until it fully deflates. He's done this FIVE times. I must get this on film! I couldn't figure out how the ball kept deflating...those stoppers are not easy to get in or out.

He also swirls his feed bowl around and around while eating. He likes to stand on things, turn his butt for scratchies, sleep flat out on his side, pull off everyone's fly masks, and he chases everything! Bunnies, squirrels, birds, dogs...nothing is safe.

Billy is also a character. He "plays the pipes" (the pipe corrals with his teeth), sticks his tongue out really far on the right side of his mouth, brings his feed bowl on cue, throws his feed bowl when he feels like it, does cat stretches, and like to butt things (and people) with his butt.

I love these guys!! :aktion033: Who needs video games!

My big horses can be silly but not nearly as much as the wee ones.

Animal Crackers !!!!!

Everyday at approx. 3.00pm Ozy comes to the front door porch for his daily animal cracker. It's hilarious. He never forgets. Hubby yells "your horse is here" LOL.

Of course he gets the horse shaped cookie and our two Australian Cattle Dogs get a cow shaped one each HAHAHA.

I have a 2 year old filly that when I set down their feed buckets (4 in a row)she has to take a couple of pellets out of each bowl untill she gets the last one then she will eat that one all up and lick the bowl clean,for some reason every day the kids would get off the school bus she would winney really loud and also every time hubby comes home to.

My smallest gelding 3 years old at 31 inches like to flip the lip at people,he also likes to flip his bowl then stomp it and drop it into the water tub.

My other 3 year old gelding falls asleep when the farrier comes to do his hooves and rests his head on her back. Then when his are done he has to be dragged out of the stall so she can do another minis hooves - I think he has a love thing going on with her.

My farrier once asked me how I trained my minis to line up for her, when one is done another is waiting at the gate to be let into the stall, I never trained my minis to do it and do not know why but I LIKE IT :aktion033: only time I do not have to walk after 2 of them to put on a haulter.

My 4 year old gelding likes to play games with me when it comes to his haulter, he plays this walk away thing for 2 minutes then lets you walk right up to him as if to say ok you can put it on now and when you get to his nose he changes his mind and walks away about 4 steps then he will do it again , then he will let me put it on.

They can be so funny at times and really love to steal my rake and run off with it, not to mention the zillion times they dump my poop pail on me.
default_wub.png
:

Oh goodness, where to start. My Lady will not take anything from your hand but if you offer her something, she will put her nose to the ground as if to say "Put it right there".

Dawn will pop her lips when you talk to her as if she is talking back. She also tips her head to the side and looks up at you as if to say, "See, I am adorable, now give me a treat".

Little Man will paw the gate and when you look at him he will stretch with his nose pointed straight at you and wait for you to give him a treat. He will also back slowly up to you for a butt scratch.

Dandy pushes his ball around the pasture at a dead run.

Joe will roll his eyes at you and whinny really low until you pay attention to him. He also rolls every chance he gets and doesn't look where he is first. He just drops and rolls.

Maggie will untie your shoes, steal anything she can get hold of, put her head on your shoulder and pull you to her, and she loves to breathe down your neck if you are sitting in a chair.

Legacy stands with her front feet over her stall gate if you aren't fast enough with her feed. She will also sit in your lap if she gets a chance and will back up to you and lift her back leg out as far as she can to the side for you to scratch her thighs.

Each of them are certainly unique and sure know how to get extra attention.

Mary

We have rubber feed pans that site on the ground. For some reasons many of our horses while relaxing, will stand with their front 2 feet IN the pans.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back