I know it's been awhile since I updated

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
The weather's been terrible (rain, rain, and more rain!) and since both boys have been spending 90% of their time totally soaked and I seem to be working the other 10%, we haven't gotten much done on the driving front. It is definitely spring here though with the cherry trees blossoming, flowers starting to open and both horses bouncing off the walls!
default_laugh.png
Fur has been flying for over a month and both boys have lost all the guard hairs on their chests and upper legs so each day their legs look longer as their outlines change.
default_wink.png
Now they look more like Welsh Cobs instead of yaks.

I took the kids for the first outing of the year to the NWMHC clinic and schooling show on March 18-20th (see thread at NWMHC schooling show) and both were on the muscle and raring to go. Since we've been home I've done the first minimal spring clipping (got rid of the beards, mohawks and took a strip down the bottom of their necks), started some cavaletti work and taken them for walks together. I've been greatly amused to note they are starting to match strides as soon as they're on either side of me and they've graduated to being allowed to trot since they can now do so without trying to kill me. Heck, they got out ahead of me yesterday and actually trotted side-by-side without trying to kick, bite, body-slam or mount each other!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
It's a miracle! *LOL*

I can't wait for the weather to clear up as both horses are more than ready to get back into full training. Both are still much more focused on being with Mom than with the other horse but they are beginning to work amicably together and Turbo is starting to act like a real grownup with an attention-span and everything.
default_wub.png
I don't think I'm out of line in speculating I might be able to start working them as a pair by this fall. Turbo will need lots of work as a single to learn to use his body, but I think by then the safety pieces and the ability to concentrate despite having the other horse beside them will be in place and I can drive them together recreationally. I can't believe I've had Turbo almost two years already!
default_wacko.png

How is everyone else coming in their training? It's spring! Time to start seeing pictures of those green horses working towards driving.

Leia

Leia,

Your boys sound raring to go! I really look forward to hearing about them working this year, and of course seeing pix.

Here the weather has been COLD and now strong wind for the last 3 days. I have been able to lunge Buck and Wish somewhat regularly, so they aren't totally out of shape. The mud has ried up quite nicely here, so I will be able to start driving again soon.

Recently my husband has made some trails down thru the woods behind our house so yesterday I took them one at a time down in the woods for a trail walk. They were very well behaved and seemed to love the change of pace. It is a bit steep and twisty to drive, but it gives be something else to do with them. With more work 'grooming' the trails I may be able to take the Hyperbike down there.

I really plan on doing alot of work with Wish this year. She is a strong, beautifully moving girl and I have really been enjoying working with her. In time she may be my main driving horse.

Buck has been showing some stiffness in his right stifle, which he has had happen before. He doesn't lock or drag or anything. It is just his conformation. I have upped his MSM a bit and have been doing some stretching with him. I think once he is back working, he will loosen up even more and be fine.

What's everyone else up to?

Angie

This is a short video of "Jet" - Buckeye WCF Magical Notice. He is a 5 year old classic shetland. We have been working him all winter and he is doing really well after finding the right bit for him. My trainer, Sue, has taken it nice and slow with him and he is doing great. He was scheduled to try his first ADT this weekend, but it was pouring rain. How do you think he looks?

It is definitely spring here though with the cherry trees blossoming, flowers starting to open and both horses bouncing off the walls! Fur has been flying for over a month and both boys have lost all the guard hairs on their chests and upper legs so each day their legs look longer as their outlines change.
You are way ahead of us! We still have snow on the ground in patches. Since we have sand, most of the pasture/arena is pretty dry and we have started to drive outside, but it is still pretty brown here! Only my big white horse is blowing his coat massively. When you brush him, it's like there are dead rabbits all over his stall!
default_laugh.png

Both are still much more focused on being with Mom than with the other horse but they are beginning to work amicably together and Turbo is starting to act like a real grownup with an attention-span and everything.
Isn't that a great feeling when you think that your training actually might be sinking in because they are "ready" for it? Otherwise, it is like trying to send a 3 yr. old to Kindergarten and expect him to sit and listen! Yah, right....
default_rolleyes.gif
Our 3 yr. old mare actually has moments of attention span, too, but being a different breed, I expect that. Our minis are SOOOOO much easier!!!!

Myrna

Last edited by a moderator:
In a sick way, the rain and standing water are a blessing -- otherwise, I would be totally frustrated by my broken wrist and inability to work with the horses!

I'll have to coordinate a method of longeing them while Keith mans yhe whip, or have him hold the line while I take the whip and tell everyone what to do...

ShadyGrovePonies said:
This is a short video of "Jet" - Buckeye WCF Magical Notice. He is a 5 year old classic shetland. ... How do you think he looks?
Very nice! He looks like he's well on his way to becoming a fabulous driving horse.

RhineStone said:
Isn't that a great feeling when you think that your training actually might be sinking in because they are "ready" for it? Otherwise, it is like trying to send a 3 yr. old to Kindergarten and expect him to sit and listen! Yah, right....
default_rolleyes.gif
So true. I didn't even TRY to teach him things he wasn't ready for last year- why bother? He might have learned but it would have been a big fight and there was really no rush. I just laid the foundations and waited and as he told me he was ready we moved forward. Don't get me wrong...Turbo did pretty well for a yearling/two year old. But now he's prepared to stand until I say otherwise when ground-tied, hold his feet up for more than a few minutes without losing patience and flipping out, etc. And lo and behold, since all the foundations are there, now we can move forward very rapidly!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
susanne said:
In a sick way, the rain and standing water are a blessing -- otherwise, I would be totally frustrated by my broken wrist and inability to work with the horses!
I'll have to coordinate a method of longeing them while Keith mans yhe whip, or have him hold the line while I take the whip and tell everyone what to do...
Liberty work, Susanne, liberty work. Teach Mingus to leg-yield off your body posture. I can tell you from experience that only takes one hand and a shoulder! Just wear a treat pounch and carry a small whip and you can totally do that.

Leia

That's a great idea -- once the corral dries out enough to work in. For now, we need to go outside the fence onto the gravel parking area...

It sounds very exciting to have your two boys starting to work together. Cant wait to see their pics working as a team.

Well Sunny is working well with the longreigning. Went out the road yesterday and I hadnt got to the gate when one of the super tractors was coming up the road carrying a big bale on the front and a trailer with several bales on the back. He didnt blink but was keen to get going. Met cars and vans and then another super tractor with a baler, I held onto him just in case but he was like "whats your problem". Travelled on some more and turned up another road to where there were some horses in the field (they didnt see him) but he saw them but no worries. His only jump was when I turned him for home and he saw the STOP sign at the crossroads and he jumped at that but that was it.

I SHOULD be getting my cart this week - it was to be collected last Thursday.

I will update with pics when Sunny is looking better and my cart is here.

Leia - where are your photos?
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

It would be nice if you all could share some of your surplus rain with us here! We are very dry. Though the farmers are unhappy, it makes it easy to use all the quiet dirt roads around here. Quiet? Heavy farm equipment, bursts of quail, rushing dogs...

It will be so exciting if you get your two going tandem, Leia!!

Dusty is 4 now and it seems as though some things are, at last, coming together for him in his juvenile brain. We went out with two other drivers last week and I asked them how Dusty looked, working in harness. His poll was good and he has a nice way of going. So, I am thinking we are making some progress. I practiced going up and down some steep ditches so he would have to do some serious hind end work. I feel comfortable doing that in the cart with him now. Going down into the ditch is a little scary.

His driving bridle with blinders is not back yet. He much prefers no blinders; I'll have to use Dapper Dan's bridle on him if his does not come back soon so we can practice for the April show.

Jet looked beautiful!

Nice to hear how everyone is coming along with plans and progress.

I went down to Lori's last week and had a lesson driving Lacey - poor Lacey!
default_smile.png

She got quite nervous because I was nervous and she couldn't figure out why I wasn't doing it right. Lori was very patient and at the same time particular and helped me to improve, so by the end of the lesson we were doing a lot better. I suddenly "got" how to drive - it's sitting up on the seat like you're in a saddle and using your core. Suddenly we felt like a team.

When we got to that point, it was so much fun.

Then Lori got in the cart and helped Lacey recover from the "green driver experience". Poor little horse!
default_smile.png

Lori said I need to ride with more contact.

We took some video, so when I get a chance to edit it I'll post a link.

I thought Lacey looked pretty nice sometimes.

Wilma

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Good job, everyone! It's so fun to hear about this year's crop of forum horses coming along so well.
default_wub.png

bannerminis said:
It sounds very exciting to have your two boys starting to work together. Cant wait to see their pics working as a team....Leia - where are your photos?
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png
We're working on it! My photographer has a broken foot so between that and the rain (which she can't wear her walking boot outside in), opportunities for working pix have been slim. I've got lots of cute shots of the kids, but none of me working with them.
default_sad.png
That's one reason I'm waiting on getting going- I want pix and video of Turbo's big "firsts!"

Marsha Cassada said:
It would be nice if you all could share some of your surplus rain with us here! We are very dry.
Gladly! Please, Lord, come pick it up at your convenience. We've got flood watches on this weekend again.
default_wacko.png

Marsha Cassada said:
It will be so exciting if you get your two going tandem, Leia!!
"If?" I'm insulted!
default_biggrin.png
No, seriously, tandem will come but I'll probably start with pair at least for ground-driving. Turbo needs to build muscle before he's ready to be a wheeler and that's going to take time. Meanwhile Kody needs help pulling while he gets back in shape, so pair seems like the better option to start with. The only hard part with that is getting the proper equipment.
default_sad.png

studiowvw said:
I suddenly "got" how to drive - it's sitting up on the seat like you're in a saddle and using your core.
YES!!
default_aktion033.gif

studiowvw said:
We took some video, so when I get a chance to edit it I'll post a link.
Looking forward to it, Wilma! I'm sure she's gorgeous.

Leia

Yes, she looks pretty nice - it's me that looks a bit dorky, haha
Don't be so hard on yourself! By the end of only your second lesson you were doing quite well with her and the two of you looked good together! Lacey looks awesome in harness and is going to be one heck of a driving horse in the end of it all. I think you two will do well together.

It sure was fun - looking forward to putting in some miles with her.

W

Latest posts

Back