Hi there from Northern Ca

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_5838.jpegHi there…this is my first time owning minis and I’m in love. I have been riding horses since a young kid and still currently have a big horse. I have been wanting to get a few minis for some time now for our Grandkids and just got these 2 cuties about 3 weeks ago. I want to do therapy work with them. I’m excited to get started on their training. If anyone has experience in therapy horses I would love to learn more.

Hi @Lori Veliquette and welcome! Thank you for sharing your littles with us. They are darling! You're going to find loads of information and support here. Regarding Therapy Animal training, my own little mare does site visits, the donkey is getting closer. You can find our stories under "Therapy Pony" in the search bar. How old are yours and what are their names? Very excited for you on your journey!

Hi there. Thank you for the info. They are 5 years old. I got them from a rescue in my area. The owner had purchased them from a breeder and started training them in therapy. The owner got really sick and was unable to care for them anymore. They are both registered and very healthy. She named them Denali and Chenupa but my grandkids struggle with those names and they want to change them. Is that wrong to do?

Hi and welcome! Your minis are beautiful. They look so much alike are they related? I don't think it is wrong to change their name. My newest mini, that I got in April, his name was Stanley. I changed his name to Kingsley. I had a list of names and my gkids helped picked his name. I see great times ahead for you and your minis:)

Welcome Lori! They’re beautiful little horses! I don’t feel it’s wrong to change their names, or compromise and give them a barn name or nickname.

Our grandkids and I had many adventures with the minis. Now they are off in college and working,but the minis and I still have fun together!

As HersheyMint states…great times ahead!

Hi and welcome. I can't offer any advice about therapy animals, but I did recently change the name of a recently acquired mini. I purchased "Stewart" about 3 months ago, but didn't think the name suited him. It took me about 2 months to come up with a new name for him. I now call him "Pepper." I was afraid that he might not answer to this new name, but came to realize that he doesn't really respond to any name unless a snack is involved :).
Good luck with your new little ones.

Hi and welcome! Your minis are beautiful. They look so much alike are they related? I don't think it is wrong to change their name. My newest mini, that I got in April, his name was Stanley. I changed his name to Kingsley. I had a list of names and my gkids helped picked his name. I see great times ahead for you and your minis:)
They are not related but definitely look like it. They were born 1 day apart and bought from the same breeder. I was looking at their papers and I believe their lines come from show minis. I’m trying to still think of names but it’s so hard. I call them babies right now. 🥰

Welcome Lori! They’re beautiful little horses! I don’t feel it’s wrong to change their names, or compromise and give them a barn name or nickname.

Our grandkids and I had many adventures with the minis. Now they are off in college and working,but the minis and I still have fun together!

As HersheyMint states…great times ahead!
I’m still struggling to name these guys. Would love some suggestions. One is smaller than the other. The bigger one is definite the more dominant one but they are so cute to watch play.

Attachments

• IMG_8958.mov
    25.3 MB
Are your grandchildren old enough to share their ideas? If not, I was thinking of my little herd over the years and their everyday names, some connect to their registered name, some don’t:

Goldy (RS Champagne)
Buddy (Bertrands Irish Lad)
Minnie (Old Bridge Farm Minnehaha)
Tiffany (RS Tiffany Lass)
DD (Dancing till Dawn)
Tinker (Tinker Toy)
Madelaine, miniature donkey, no other name.

Names can be fun, but maddening! 🤣

As I mentioned before, it took me more than 2 months to name my new boy. I had made a list of more than 2 dozen names that I liked which I got on line and crossed them off one by one as I got to know him. In fact, I actually crossed all the names off the list and decided to call him Pepper, which was not even on the list. I still don't know if it suits him, but we're both getting use to it. The name Cocoa was a close second. Everyone I know wanted me to call him that, so I didn't :). My current equine names: Charlotte & Willow, mare mini donkeys. Rocky & Pepper, mini horses.

Are they geldings? I love bays.
How about Danny for Denali and Chichi, or some other "ch" name for the one that's hard to pronounce.

I think you will need to work with them separately since they appear to be bonded. They need to learn to work with you, without the pasture mate, if you want to get into therapy work. They can become so stressed at separation that it can be difficult to train. I'm sure you've seen that in the big horses.

Latest posts

Back