I just listed my farm for sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justaboutgeese

Reaction score
There might be some people who think I am jumping the gun but My farm is for sale as of this afternoon. There is a house and some buildings but for me atleast there is no home. Not to long ago I was ready to bulldoze the house down but my daughters in their wisdom prevented that. As I told one forum member this afternoon there is a house, but the house is not my home. Its a place I will continue to live until a deal is struck but I will never be able to call it home again. Any body need a neighbor with lots of time on his hands and lots of opinions ?

Where to go from here is the next question. I have a daughter in Texas and one close to here both of whom I love dearly but I cannot live in both places. My finincail future might end up being a little different as a result of the farm sale. Until this year the crops were a portion of my income. This year they turned into an expense but thats farming.

A good portion of my decision was helped along by the support the forum members provided. Living in this house I was beginning to become a hermit. Not good for a man in my position. At this point I need a life to go along with the people I communicate with who keep me on the straight and narrow.

Geese, I think you just might be happier in a place that you have no history to be sad about. Been where you are now! Had a farm, met the ex, ended badly and ex fought tooth and nail for the farm. My boys were uncomfortable there so I gave in. Sometimes I regret it, but I have no "ghosts" here. I do think you would be happier!

I have a solution! You buy Kaykay's place! LOL

Good luck!

Fran

[SIZE=14pt]You know Vic..... I think this is a good move..... See if you can find someplace near enough to some of us that you can come visit.... help out.... I need a handy man real bad here and have an extra room to boot if you want to come to VA for a while![/SIZE]

Lyn

I think it's a good idea. It was once your future, but now it is your past and you don't need to live in the past. You deserve a bright new future and all the happiness you can find. It will be a big choice you have to make as to where you move to, but I know where ever it is, you'll be happier there once you settle in and make it your own.

Maybe you can come down to visit your daughter in TX and scout TX out. There are many forum members around here! And I'd love to have that coffee with you Vic.

I think it's a good descision Vic. If you can't live with both daughters and they are agreeable perhaps go to the one who needs you more, or is in a better position to help you if you need it. I think you should be somewhat near a family member in case of emergency. Best of luck, Maxine

Geese,

I think it is a wise decision. If you don't feel comfortable there any longer, then you are right... It is just a house. A home is a place that you love to be and have fond memories that make you smile when you walk through it. If you don't have this any longer, then it is time to move. As to where, well, do both of your daughters have grandchildren? You know those grandkids keep you young, and if you only have grandkids from one daughter, stay near them.

I'd say come on out to California but the cost of living would send you into shock!!
new_shocked.gif

Texas would be good, you get a lot for your money there. I was just there a few months back and was thinking about moving there myself.

Sounds like a good idea by the way, I hope it all goes smoothly for you!!

Well done Vic! I know you will find a perfect place to roost in time. be patient and the right solution will come to you,

Come visit the horse capital of the world, OCALA! Last year, we bought a small four acre plot for $25K.. and now the same land is going for four times as much. Land in Florida is appreciating at an incredible rate! Here you would have no snow to worry about. You wouldn't be too far from Texas... You could meet alot of transplants from Canada as well as from all over the US.

My Mom came to Florida back in the 80's. It only took one big fall on the ice in Penna. and that was enough to convince her that she did not want to risk breaking something on the ice. Lots and lots of beautiful horses both big and small. Lots of horse shows to go to. THe kids and I have met many people that don't own horses that just came to see a mini horse show!!! We have the Livestock Pavillion, and the Equestrian complex, we have the greenway, where people go for trail rides from one end of the state to the other. We are a great place for grandchildren to come visit. We are one of the few states that do not have a state income tax and we have low cost tag renewal. (I used to live in Kansas... and whoa.. who knew getting a little sticker could cost so much). We have day cruises from lots of ports in the state. Ocala has had little storm damage as compared to other places in Fl. or along the gulf coast.

The cost of living here is reasonable. My hubby is active duty Coast Guard, and so we've lived lots of places. I did love Maine. but over all feel that Ocala is a nice town to live in. We live near Dunnellon, which is an old fashioned town and the feed store, still lets you charge and pay monthly.

God Bless,

Lynn W

Why not travel and see what part of the world you like best! Daughters can always travel, and so can you!

Come on down to Texas. I even have a house for you! It's already set up for minis and there's a frame for a barn that's just dieing to be finished. It's listed cheap!!
biggrin.gif

There is always room in alabama. there's 86 acres up for grabs next door to me and 78 a half mile up the road.

Vic,

I agree with you and everyone else that if your place is no longer "your home and haven" then it's time to move on..... However, this is a terrible time of year to try to sell!

Do you have grandkids by either of your daughters? I think that would be a wonderful reason to choose one over the other to live closer to.....

Whatever you do, don't jump from the pot into the frying pan -- as my folks always used to say.
wink.gif
Put those "feelers" out in different directions, and the right direction for you will fall into place.

Blessings,

MA

I"ve got 15 acres for sale in the valley. Nice and flat for driving . But I must say that I think you should be near one of your daughters wether it's in Canada or Texas. You should be near family if possible. Just close up the house and do some serious roadtripping and take you time. Make sure you have a barn for your boys and get back to driving. I know in Texas, there would be many shows for you to drive in. Just ask Al.

That is sad but smart!

I think you will be much haapier in a house you pick rather than one that you shared with your ex. Very hard to move forward surrounded by constant memories.

Good Luck in your future choices, your daughters should be a great help for you in deciding what's beat for you now!

Keep us posted!!!!!!!

Actually as far as farm land is concerned this is the perfect time to list for quick sale. Interested parties can look and are more than anxious to close by the time cropping season comes around. In this part of the country farmers are anxious to get on the land to work it near the end of April. If the truth be known just taking this positive step is a big boost to me. Kind of nervous about what the future is going to hold for me. I have never been without long term plans for the future. But at 59 what does long term mean ??

Vic,

I think you are making a wise decision. Just don't rush into a new place too fast. Take your time to pick the perfect spot.

Maine is beautiful at least in the summer it is well really in winter too but not if you have to get out in it. You already know how I feel about this. Congratulations on the first major decision of the rest of your life.

justaboutgeese said:
Actually as far as farm land is concerned this is the perfect time to list for quick sale.  Interested parties can look and are more than anxious to close by the time cropping season comes around.  In this part of the country farmers are anxious to get on the land to work it near the end of April.  If the truth be known just taking this positive step is a big boost to me.  Kind of nervous about what the future is going to hold for me.  I have never been without long term plans for the future.  But at 59 what does long term mean ??
527329[/snapback]

If you need a place to stop on your journey to figuring out where you want to be; we will be looking for temporary help for calving in a couple months.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I agree with what a few others have said, take your time and don't rush into a decision on where you want to live.

Back