Hopefully my mare is close so anxious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOO HOO!!!! Many congrats!!
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp

Now you need to get them in and give her a warm wet mash of a small amount of her normal food - continue with these small wet feeds throughout the day as she needs 'gentle' food to go through her system to begin with alongside some soft hay. If it is not wet then they can go back out for an hour or two in the day so she can get some grass through her digestion, but if you are having really cold nights then they are better inside for the foal's sake even though he/she has a jumper on. If you can get her in by tempting her with food, then I would take her headcollar off as it is too easy for a baby to get a foot through the noseband and have a nasty accident.

How is she? No signs of colic or being very uncomfortable? Is baby taking plenty of drinks? Dont forget to worm her when you get her in for her food and perhaps get hubby to hold her while you dip or spray the baby's cord. But dont worry that she seems over protective, the good Momma's often are - just be careful never to get yourself between her and the foal and to keep other family members/visiting friends watching from a distance. She will relax more in a few days if she is not over stressed by too much human attention now.

Well done - cant wait to see some daylight pictures!!
default_yes.gif

Hi mare eating green grass foal is a colt well when I saw it poo I seen a pink thing pop out between its legs so I am guessing it colt. I am alone with my 3 little kids so can only run out check and come back in hubby be home in about 1/2 hour. I have seen that mare looks as though she hiccupping now and then I am worried although otherwise she seems fine what is this? Is it colic if so what do I need to do?P8317442.jpg

The colt actually looks black in sun and along back of legs slight grey tinge

Foal is drinking often and is so cute running about and poor mum following him.

I can't help with the hiccups, but I can tell you that I can't wait for more pics! ;)

Do these "hiccups" seem to go with her heartbeat? Are you just seeing them or do you hear a thump noise with them?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Yes, colts often wear there momma out as they are usually very inquisitive and into everything!! As Anna said, begin giving her some wet warm food, as she cleaned out here system before the birth, and it's best for her to receive several small meals of her grain to ease her system back into its "normal" state.

Very handsome colt!! If it's very cold, you should bring them in tonight into a deeply bedded stall, so the little one can snuggle down into the straw/hay/bedding to stay warm during the night.

Wonderful job of watching!!!! Congratulations again!

Is she still hiccupping? I've not had a mare do that, so I'm no help, but surely someone else has experienced this. If in doubt.....call the vet for his/her opinion. It wouldn't be colic, I don't think, but it never hurts to get an expert opinion. Perhaps with her grazing and getting some warm mash, the hiccups will end quickly. Best of luck, congratulations....and you MUST share more pictures of the little guy!!
Not hiccupping anymore maybe it like we get after couple of babies and have after birth contractions.

Wonder what colour he is going to be as he looks to have silver on back of legs and a bit at his backside. Going to try and move them to barn soon should be scary thought hubby can lead mare behind me while I carry colt hopefully all will be safe.P8317445.jpgP8317447.jpg

when I had to move my very protective mare and new foal, I held her and had someone else carry foal. She was jumping around and nervous, but we all got to where we need to go, in one piece. I was shocked at how she acted, she is usually such a sweet, mello girl. Took her about 2 days to calm back to her 'normal' self. Cute baby, and glad it went so well!

Well just got them in stable foal followed most the way then I carried it and yes mum was jumping around a lot but we got there in the end. The gelding is more upset than any of them he goin crazy. Oh I had a quick feel and look again between legs of foal and nothing there there is a lot of hair but I think it a girl and the thing I seen before must have been the umbilical cord lol.

oooh a filly?! does she have two holes under the tail or one? she sure is gorgeous! and I think she will stay black... I don't know if there is any chances of greying out...

Oh what a cute little filly! So glad you were able to get them both into the warm for a while, it will give both Momma and baby a chance to rest. Just be sure to keep Momma on those wet warm feeds.

I see it must be pretty windy at the moment where you are as baby's rug had blown up. This is something that you will have to watch for as it is more important to keep the back/spine area warm than it is the shoulder/chest area.

Remember that new foals dont have very good eyesight and can get confused between 'moving' humans and its Momma, so make sure baby has its full attention on its Momma before you start leading the mare anywhere then you shouldn't have any trouble with your new little one following her Momma.

You are doing wonderfully well - it's so exciting to have your new little one safely here at last isn't it!! Once they are both back inside tonight, tucked up in the warm, you can relax a bit and get yourself some SLEEP!!
default_yes.gif

I fixed the coat and they are happy in barn now where its nice and warm and I am keeping up the wet warm feeds thanks so much and yes will be sleeping a lot better tonight..

Congrats!!!!

I'm so glad it all went well... and that the waiting is OVER!

I'm guess black and will stay that way, the silver/grey is foal shading and fades with age and often grey foals are born with a much more vibrant colour. Looking forward to more pics as she unfolds!

I was thinking of naming her Shiloh....But with 3 little kids I reckon it could change hopefully not to what my 3 yr old chose 'Ducky' lol

Shiloh is soo cute! haha but Ducky is really cute too LOL hmmm have fun with that LOL

I think we need some more piccies soon please?

Latest posts

Back