Hopefully my mare is close so anxious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all enjoy hearing about your lovely lady! How is she doing???

It's quite a learning curve isn't it! And it's a curve that never seems to stop either
default_new_rofl.gif

Ok well things seem weird today as when looked under at her udder a few hours ago things looked relatively the same and I just went again took some pics didnt show up on their but I can see at end of both nipples dots that look like dirt at centre of both. I also took pics of her vulva well Under her tail and when I go close up on pic I can see some fleshy colour (where the lighter pink skin is on pic about half way) and looks almost dilated a little dont know if you can see in pic but let me know what you think.... I put a side pic of her today as well. Apart from all that she seems normal still eating I did not see foal move though...P8257aug.jpgP825augu.jpgP825augus.jpg

Please be it please come out foalllyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 'dots' on the ends of her teats are just a bit of secretion - bit like the stuff you can get in the corner of your eyes when you wake in the mornings, perfectly normal!

Her udder looks a little more filled - getting down into the teats from the look of your pics. Will she let you gently look just inside her vulva - the colour inside will (most possibly) change from a gentle salmon pink to a deep red very soon before she foals (can be a day or two or even hours) and is a good 'last minute' sign.

And yes, you need to get down on your knees beside her to give us a true 'side on' picture so we can properly see how her tummy drop is positioned.
default_yes.gif

Dont think you have long to go now!!

Just went out to check mercedes and take a couple of pics and she is shaking it is cold and wet here she will not keep a coat on I am guessing that she is cold there is plenty shelter around my house but she is silly and wont go under shelter so I have put her in barn but the alarm does not work there. I have added a few pics one quite fuzzy but u can see still. I did what you asked and bent down and took pics. I again tried to work out her date and she had to have got pregnant in aug or september last year as October he never hopped on her he would smell and leave her He also had a new mare in paddock then who is also in foal. He was geldered end nov.P826august.jpgP826au.jpgP826aug.jpg Dont know if you girls can see the small amount of blood like chafing between teats mid udder we have washed it with antiseptic but it still there is this a normal thing?

I have figured out that I will empty our lttle wooden shed which is about 2.5mx2.5m fill floor with hay and put her in there at night as the alarm will then work it will just be a bit small of an area but she can still roll and stratech in there and it safe.

She's coming along well!

If you're concerned through her some extra hay, not only does it replace the energy lost through shivering but the process of digesting the hay has a warming effect on the horse's system. I rarely rug so all of mine get hay on the cold nights
default_smile.png

I sent the pics to a lady who breeds horses not mini's and got response and she seems to think I am probably going to be waiting a few more weeks aaarrrrrggggghhhh I wish I knew if it was I would just leave her with gelding god I am hoping not a few more weeks....

You could be, but you might not be
default_wink.png

One of the reasons I hate committing to a "she'll foal within blah" type statement is mare's dont do the same thing as each other, they carry different they develop milk differently, none of them have read the textbook!

A shot I just got from behind her.... And a better clearer side pic

P826from behind.jpg26august.jpg

Well I dont think you will be waiting another few weeks - more likely within a week, in my opinion. BUT, as Bree says, mares simply dont read the rule book! LOL!!

I think your idea of your shed sounds a good one, providing she is happy with it and can get out for plenty of exercise. The only thing with small spaces is the lack of room for you to be in there helping at the birth with a mare laid flat out as well - still all the space in the world doesn't stop some mares trying to give birth with their backsides up against a wall! LOL!!

Dont know if you girls can see the small amount of blood like chafing between teats mid udder we have washed it with antiseptic but it still there is this a normal thing?
Can't really see it, but its likely just dried sloughed skin cells and dirt that seems to accumulate there, much like the smegma that collects on geldings and stallions. I usually just use baby wipes and clean the area, if its really dried on and hard to removed, then warm water on a cloth to soften and then remove the ick. [if she'll let you.]

don't know if this a sign firstly alarm went off at 5am I went out and she was rubbing backside on fence. I just been out watching her again she seems sleepy (closing eyes) and I notice what looks like big breaths and can see her backside moving each time as well and when I look at her face it doesnt look as though it her doing the big breaths she then put her backside against fence and rubbed vigorously and stamped her back legs. She let me rub her backside. When these big like breaths happen she lifts tail. She is still eating and just now walking about. This breathing or whatever it is bothers her now and then as she turns to look. Is this a sign or nothing?

Its been an hour since I wrote above and I went out to her again and she was rubbing backside full on for a few minutes I could see she was rubbing vulva apart does look quite a bright red and she was stamping her legs. She walked away and is eating again and now and then holds tail up to one side>>>

I too agree with Diane and would be watching her like a hawk from now on. She is doing all the 'actions' of a mare getting close to foaling. It's good to see her relax a bit and eating, but dont let this make you think that you can relax - I have actually have mares get down and foal with the hay they were eating still in their mouths!!

Good luck - baby will soon be here!
default_yes.gif

Ok well went checked her this morning and she is ok and I guess we still waiting, I was so excited once again thinking this would be it but know. Well it a miserable day here pouring rain and cold so maybe today.(I hope and wish).

Thanks everyone so sorry so many false alarms but at least it will happen soon hopefully before sep.

Got these pics thought they were cute she so sleepy she was laying down for over 15 mins... Poor Mercedes think she has had enough...P8287377.jpgP8287390.jpg

I took a pic of her vulva she wont let me open. But thought I would put the one from two days ago and today on here. She seems to have opened up.

two days ago.jpg P8287407.jpg

yeah she is gettign there... you can see the wrinkles are bigger.. she is probably having to scrunch up more as its elongaating.... all steps forward
default_smile.png

naw those sleep pics are SOO cute! what a lovely girl she is!

Hi I went out to see her this morning and was watching for foal movement and noticed her left flank it looked like a hoof moving about is this normal? I would have thought the foals hooves and head would be stuck..... I cannot notice foal moving in any other part just at flank.

Latest posts

Back