Hopefully my mare is close so anxious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellah32

Reaction score
This is going to be my first foal but my mare 3rd or 4th. Watching her today she is biting herself on stomach every few minutes (phot below)P6196603.jpgP6196587.jpgP6196607.jpg or it almost like scratching and she keeps flicking tail about. She does not seem to have any milk but is quite big and vulva looks relaxed. She also had tiny bit dry blood on vulva a few days ago. Just wish I knew if this a sign she getting closer. I have her with my gelding shetland x and they are very close and get upset when seperated but I am not sure if I put her in barn and put him in paddock. If anyone has advice please

P6196589.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome, what a pretty mare you have
default_smile.png
she is lovely!

do you have any history on her previous foalings? does she bag up 4 weeks to foaling ? (this is the normal amount of time... but no mini mare is normal lol) does she get very big... day/ night foalings? all these things will help you with trying to work out when she is due.

how long have you had her and did you put her in foal or did she come to you pregnant? and if so do you know when she was in with the stallion?

personally to me she looks like she has a bit of time to go yet... she looks fairly wide which suggests that the foal is not in position, when she is really close she should get that classic V look to her to show that the baby is in position, also with it being her 3rd or 4th foal I would think she would bag up and get milk maybe even wax up before foaling but if you could help us a bit more with a little bit more info that would be great and then we can work out if she is hiding that bubby very well or if she still has a bit to go
default_smile.png

she is pretty and I hope she has a baby for you soon
default_smile.png

Reply to above, unfortunately I don't have any details about her previous foaling as the stud where she come from had said not to breed with her as she has pelvic issues which was alarming for me but I did find out that this is what this particular stud tells all new owners so that no one breeds from them but buys from her. So as far as getting info would be difficult. I do have the stallion(now gelding) that she mated with he is shetland x and a few inches shorter than her He is actually in picture above with her. I have had her about a year and a half and he was geldered in november and stopped being on heat in about august.

hey, thanks for the advice
default_smile.png

hmmm, that is very concerning with the issues... although I don't know why they would have bred her so often if that was the case, she is one to watch very closely.

Should get a cute foal from them if she is in foal... these mini's love to keep us guessing. Have you done a pregnancy test? or got her ultrasounded??

one of my mini's we were sure was pregnant but no she wasn't and she looked a lot more pregnant then your little girl... but would be cool if your girl was pregnant
default_smile.png
thats if she doesn't have those pelvic issues.

It sure is a tough one, she definitley isn't close to foaling if she is in foal I would think she has at least two/ three months to go... (unless she pops soon.. lol) let us know how she develops have you felt any featus movement?

sorry for all the questions, trying to help here
default_smile.png

Cassie

Hi and welcome to the Nutty Nursery, you enter at your own risk
default_new_rofl.gif
only kidding, we are all friends here
default_thumbup.gif

Are those pics new? cos it looks like the foal has moved down into place, can you take a pic of her udder for us? just lift her tail and snap from behind ( watch you teeth though)
default_smile.png

Again welcome.

Renee (Italy)

Hi and welcome to the fantastic Maternity Unit, great to have you with us!
default_yes.gif

You have a very pretty girl there - how old is she and how tall? For a mare who has had 3 or 4 foals she doesn't look that close to foaling to me - especially in that first picture, but she may be hiding it well as she does seem to have a fair bit of winter coat left - where do you live?

Is she registered, because if she is we could look up the registry to see if she has any of her foals registered. For the moment I would just be watching her to see when she starts showing signs of getting an udder as this will give you an idea of when she will foal.

When you take your 'side on' pictures of her, get down on your knees to put yourself at her level as this gives a better 'view' than if you are standing and taking the picture from a 'downward' angle. Taking pictures every 4 or 5 days will show how her shape is changing and will help to show how she is moving along.

Again, welcome, do ask any questions and join in with the other topics here.
default_yes.gif

hey, thanks for the advice
default_smile.png

hmmm, that is very concerning with the issues... although I don't know why they would have bred her so often if that was the case, she is one to watch very closely.

Should get a cute foal from them if she is in foal... these mini's love to keep us guessing. Have you done a pregnancy test? or got her ultrasounded??

one of my mini's we were sure was pregnant but no she wasn't and she looked a lot more pregnant then your little girl... but would be cool if your girl was pregnant
default_smile.png
thats if she doesn't have those pelvic issues.

It sure is a tough one, she definitley isn't close to foaling if she is in foal I would think she has at least two/ three months to go... (unless she pops soon.. lol) let us know how she develops have you felt any featus movement?

sorry for all the questions, trying to help here
default_smile.png

Cassie
Hi Cassie, I have felt huge movement almost felt like was a hoof kicking my hand and I have seen it so full on like foal turning right around and my mare mercedes she turns to look too. I am real sure she is in foal as farrier also checked her and he agreed I have not got vet to do ultrasound as very expensive and I would rather have money aside for vet if anything shall happen in which we need vet when she is birthing.

Hi and welcome to the Nutty Nursery, you enter at your own risk
default_new_rofl.gif
only kidding, we are all friends here
default_thumbup.gif

Are those pics new? cos it looks like the foal has moved down into place, can you take a pic of her udder for us? just lift her tail and snap from behind ( watch you teeth though)
default_smile.png

Again welcome.

Renee (Italy)
I have noticed she looks less rounded and lower and also her backside muscles seemed to have dropped and she always has tail out she has been slashing tail around a lot today. I have a pic of part of her utter not the easiest job will put up but not a real good pic...

Here is the best shot i got of udder she does not like me near there. Also a pic of her about 3 months ago.P6196595.jpgmercedes.jpg

Hi and welcome, what a pretty mare you have
default_smile.png
she is lovely!

do you have any history on her previous foalings? does she bag up 4 weeks to foaling ? (this is the normal amount of time... but no mini mare is normal lol) does she get very big... day/ night foalings? all these things will help you with trying to work out when she is due.

how long have you had her and did you put her in foal or did she come to you pregnant? and if so do you know when she was in with the stallion?

personally to me she looks like she has a bit of time to go yet... she looks fairly wide which suggests that the foal is not in position, when she is really close she should get that classic V look to her to show that the baby is in position, also with it being her 3rd or 4th foal I would think she would bag up and get milk maybe even wax up before foaling but if you could help us a bit more with a little bit more info that would be great and then we can work out if she is hiding that bubby very well or if she still has a bit to go
default_smile.png

she is pretty and I hope she has a baby for you soon
default_smile.png
She is very sweet and pretty but filthy she is loving the red dirt...

Just found this pic from about week and half ago clearly showing the bulge on one side. Haven't got the best platting skills as you can see lol...P6096581.jpg

Where are you? looking at her getting furry makes me think you could be in Australia.

Don't worry about her tail Plait in fact I would suggest you take it out cos in the last stages they thrash their tails around a lot as you have noticed and a plait can really hurt both you and for a new born foal it is like a whip. She is definitely moving forward in these pics so not too long to wait. Can you try take a pic of her udder from behind, mine don't mind that so much.

Exciting times lie ahead for you when your little bundle of joy arrives. I am sure it will all go really well for you

Yay I'm so glad to read that you have felt movement!! That's so exciting? How tall is she?

Hmm I'm thinking you might be heading ino winter like us? Where are you from??
default_smile.png
given she was in her summer coat three months ago n Iis now a hairy bear lol just like my kiddies you must be
default_smile.png

I agree with Diane especially from that other pic she looks very very wide!!
default_smile.png
good I'm so glad n oh yes if she has a spotty baby Diane will be very much pleased
default_smile.png
yay so happy for you, hoping for a baby for you soon!!

Welcome!

Like the others I also think she has a bit to go, she's lacking the V you would expect on an experienced broodmare and her udder looks very new. Throw in the bulge in one side and the movement you've been feeling and it doesn't seem like the foal has settled into the birth position yet.

On the off chance the previous owner was somewhat correct on her 'pelvis' issues statement I would certainly be keeping a close eye on this girl. Especially if you are in UK or Australia and therefore you're shetland x will be a lot heavier then the American ones are, it could be a large foal. Will you have her on camera or will she be wearing a foal alarm to assisst you?

Best of luck!

Welcome to the nutty
default_whistling.gif
house. We always have so much fun
default_thumbup.gif
. Very pretty mare. and like everyone else. Where are you located. Maybe there is someone close that could help in case. Excited to follow you and your mare during your journey. It is so great when the foals get here.

wondering how things are going this morning? can't wait to see the pics of her dropping that foal into place that lovely V and then a little while later we will see her beautiful baby!

Any news on how she's progressing? Please may we have an update.
default_yes.gif

Where are you? looking at her getting furry makes me think you could be in Australia.

Don't worry about her tail Plait in fact I would suggest you take it out cos in the last stages they thrash their tails around a lot as you have noticed and a plait can really hurt both you and for a new born foal it is like a whip. She is definitely moving forward in these pics so not too long to wait. Can you try take a pic of her udder from behind, mine don't mind that so much.
Will get pic of udder today. She is rolling around a lot and seems to be away from gelding now where as she was always with him. And yes I am in tasmania australia very cold here at moment snowing at night about 15 minutes away from me.....

I'm so glad you came here! We have a great time getting to know each other and following these beautiful girls!!

It looks like she's got a little time left to go, and having had prior foals I would expect her to drop even more and to show a little "V" shape as baby moves into position. As she has started her udder, I would think she could go another 3-6 weeks, but we all know that the girls LOVE to fool us. But I think I would be expecting a mid/late July baby -- and she looks perfect and on time!

She is a pretty mare, with a beautiful face....I just love those eyes in the last picture! I'd love to see a picture of daddy, and we could look to see what color baby she could be hiding in there! (Some of us are just "color fanatics" and love placing "bets" on color!! What color is she without the red dirt? And what color is daddy?

The side biting and tail swishing is a good sign that baby is giving her a little discomfort. You may see her do some rolling to get her little one in position. Also some "severe" butt pushing on the fence....or any available surface! All quite normal as she moves that little one around. Remember, it's very hard to feel the foal moving in the final days once the baby is in position, as there isn't much room in there. So don't be alarmed if you suddenly notice you haven't seen the baby moving around. Once s/he's dropped into position, there won't be a lot of legs kicking out the sides! Oh, and the tiny bit of dried blood was probably her mucous plug, and that is definitely a sign she is progressing -- so take heart! She'll be giving you a new little present before too long.

Are you here in the US? I know a few states like Georgia are full of the red clay dirt, and I think a couple of western states have the same? Or are you overseas? We love having friends from all over the world join us here!
default_thumbup.gif
Hi I am in Tasmania bottom little Island Australia and it quite cold at the moment daddy is a shetland cross he brown and in pictures above with her he is also a few inches shorter. She is a Bay grey Appaloosa very white normally. I will post clean pic of her. Your guess on colour would be great. The breeder of her thinks a bay or even spotted because of her parents. And there is lots red clay hereThank you for this advice I am really enjoying this on here it is a great site.

Anna

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back