Help with 4 month old filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeosPocoDan

Reaction score
Sunday we purchased a 4 month old mini filly. She is our first mini, but also we have two full sized horses.

But I have a few questions about her since she is a weanling

Feeding-

My friend who owns one mini said I shouldn't be giving her grain only hay, but I know that isn't true since she is growing. Right now I am giving her all the hay she wants plus a cup of SafeChoice. But from what I have been reading this isn't enough. How much should she be getting? Today I am going to go pick up Calf Manna, and some Grow Colt to ad to her feed also.

Shots-

I have a extra 6-way that I could give her. But is this right?

Worming-

The breeder told us she was wormed the day before we bought her, but she has a dry cough. I think she has worms, but would they still be coming out a week later? and if not, when would it be safe for me to deworm her again?

Yes, a weanling needs grain with the vitamins and minerals -- all through their first year of life is best. We actually feed our youngsters a SENIOR Pellet - which is considered a "complete feed", PLUS hay. There are also good Junior Grains being made out there.......Purina being the obvious and most accessible. We feed at least 2 cups grain twice a day, depending on the youngster's needs.........PLUS the hay.

Has your baby had her first shots? Or is the 6-way to be her first one? (We give a 5-Way by Prestige, with a booster 4 weeks later.)

Find out what your baby has been wormed with. If I were in your shoes, I'd give her another week and worm her again.

Congrats on your first mini!!!

MA

Sunday we purchased a 4 month old mini filly. She is our first mini, but also we have two full sized horses.

But I have a few questions about her since she is a weanling

Feeding-

My friend who owns one mini said I shouldn't be giving her grain only hay, but I know that isn't true since she is growing. Right now I am giving her all the hay she wants plus a cup of SafeChoice. But from what I have been reading this isn't enough. How much should she be getting? Today I am going to go pick up Calf Manna, and some Grow Colt to ad to her feed also.

Shots-

I have a extra 6-way that I could give her. But is this right?

Worming-

The breeder told us she was wormed the day before we bought her, but she has a dry cough. I think she has worms, but would they still be coming out a week later? and if not, when would it be safe for me to deworm her again?
I would pick up a good growth formula feed and feed that (plus good hay) til she's a year old; so Purina Junior, Nutrena Youth or whatever foal feed available in your area. Feed according to directions on tag. [i used Nutrena Youth when I brought my weanlings home.]

I usually vaccinate for the first time when mine are yearlings, but that is my preference, so you may wish to consult with you vet for recommended schedule for your area.

If she was dewormed a week ago, I'd wait another 3 weeks, so you aren't dosing too close together. [if didn't already know, do NOT give Quest to minis, it has to be dosed very accurately and has a low overdose threshold.]

Good luck with your new mini.

Call the breeder and ask what and HOW MUCH she was feeding her.My Mini weanlings here get Platform Miniature horse feed(half and half 14%sweet feed&Platform feed and mixed with Sand Clear product)EQUUS)I have never used Calf manna on my foals. My weaners are also out on pasture and free choice hay. I also give directions on What and how much to feed and even give baggies of feed for several meals when I sell a horse.Call and ask for more information on your Mini.Most breeders will help if asked.good luck and have fun and enjoy

Nice Quarter Horse Handle.......
default_biggrin.png

I feed my weaners Purina Equine Jr. 3 times a day with plenty of good grass hay. They also get 1 cup daily of Purina Born To Win ration balancer in with the feed. Also 1 cup of Soaked beet pulp for lunch. A large white salt block is always availble.

I would not go the Calf Manna/Grow Colt route together. I think that's over kill and not necessary.

As for the coughing, sounds like possible lung worms. For that I do a 5 day purge of Safe Guard followed by ivermectrin 10 days later.

When giving shots, be sure you get a small needle. Don't use the horse size.

I guess you know not to turn the baby in with big horses. You sound quite horse savvy.

Congratulations and Best Wishes.

Thanks everyone!

Bevann- The breeder was sorta new to the whole mini thing, she had just bought a nice stud and a bunch of nice mares and threw them all together. And she said she was feeding two cup of a general livestock feed a day. And that her cough was nothing. That is why I didn't call her back about it.

Marty-The problem I had with her today is that she wouldn't eat it all. Everytime I would go out she would take a few more munches on it if I held it but that is about it. And my fat QH keeps sticking his head in the round pen trying to steal some :DOH! , she sure doesn't eat like my big one! Do you know what size needle I should get? The smallest I have right now is a .9mm thickness. Oh, and she is penned up for now. Even though she is dieing to get out with the big guys. We let her out a couple days ago for about 20 minute with our paint becuase he is 18 and wouldn't hurt a fly, but I kept a good eye on them.

Another question . . .

Should I get the little girl a blanket? She has a mini shelter, and a thick coat. But Im afriad she will be cold if it rains.

Latest posts

Back