Heidi.....being a prankster

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peanut standing and eatting hay baby sleeping.

I had gone out side to check horses at about 10:30 and was sitting here on the computer when I heard one loud bang out side and thought I left the feed room door open and we had a racoon or that I didnt latch one of the top doors open and it just blew shut ..it was just loud enough that I wanted to check...poor hubby was undressed and just about asleep on the couch ...god love him "honey will you come out w/me to check the horses, I just heard a noise and it might be the other barn"....the other barn in further away. He throws on his shoes and Im like, I can wait for you to get dressed and he says no...Im not staying out here all night..im sure its nothing..out he comes in his shoes and his fruit of the looms.

Foal was out with just her legs inside mom, still in sac, umbilical still attached... ripped open the sac and all I could hear was gurgling noises. Run my hand down her nose like books say and scream to the man n undies to go to the house to get towels..still gurgling and wasnt sure if I should pick her up and let her head hang down hoping to get more out but she was stil attached ( remind me to ask Anna or Diane about this later ) but she was breathing...finally PNut stood and broke the cord and I knew I could pick her up...but I didnt want to hurt her..thats when I called Diane. I just didnt know how long PNut was in labor or how hard she'd been pushing...I just felt horrible....and everthing seems to take such a long time.The thing I remember most is just how fast this little one tried to get up. Have acouple of things I need you to toss around but will ask them tomorrow..I think the vet and perhaps you all will disagree so Im just looking for your thoughts..pros and cons. P>S. This vet is leaving in morning to go to Kissimee but I will be having another vet out again later tomorrow for the IG.

Omg congrats Heidi and Peanut. I was just in to check in Cheerio and I see an anonimus title of filly and colt, I never imagined it would be you. I am so happy/excited. What a crazy year you are having. I can't wait for pics. Big hug Heidi

Thank you Renee, I told you she had a monster milk bag!!

Just came in from peeking in on them....sure wish I had the camera on...Little one is bellied up to the bar!!

Oh thank you for the update Heidi - a filly!!!!!!
default_thumbup.gif
Clever Peanut!!
default_thumbup.gif

Now all we need is PICTURES!!
default_yes.gif
(no chance of one of hubby in his special 'deliver foals' outfit I suppose??)

Poor Diane went to bed thinking it was a colt NOW WE GOT A SECRET!!!....Oh Anna, I wish you could have seen him...god love him...he's always so calm and cool w/these things...must take after me....NOT

I'll tell hubby...im sure he'll be flattered...guess its a good thing we didnt have the camera on. Jammies are very very exceptable too....but only if they have smiley faces or sponge bob

Last edited by a moderator:
A FILLY!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD GOING PEANUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I'm so excited for you Heidi!!!!! Just send me some tele-photos and I'll get them posted!! I'm so happy for you!!!!

Last edited:
I should have used the darn black bucket 2 years ago!!

figured out the problem w/phone pictures for us is that for some reason we are on roaming out here so we cant send from here..at least thats what we were told ...I dont understand it...anyway I can take the pictures and send them Skiffs office or at least just about 5 miles down Corkscrew but not from house

Well, you DO live in a remote place!! We'll take the pictures any time you can send them! Can't wait to see the "little one with NO willy!!"

Ohhhh, I just LOVE your stories!! I can just visualize all of it! LOL Congratulations on your new filly! So happy she is doing well! I'll be looking forward to pictures.

Foal was out with just her legs inside mom, still in sac, umbilical still attached... ripped open the sac and all I could hear was gurgling noises.
I was just re-reading this and found this statement you made. You KNOW you probably saved this little girl's life. There is no guarantee that this wee one would have gotten out of the sack in time! YOU ROCK!!!

Only Heidi's barn has naked men and willyless colts. ROFL kinda sad your cam isn't running ( wicked grin) hurry up with these photos !

Just came in from Letting holly and Sneeker charge around and eat some real grass...little Sneeker is such a character and Holly is so laid back( she was like this from the sec. I saw her baby )...its such a joy. I can do anything with that baby.Then I go over to the witches stall and Peanut is standing there stirring her cauldron, ears back getting ready to send the flying monkeys after me if I just opened her castle door. Jeepers Creepers... I was hoping if I spilled some water on her she'd melt....didnt happen!!

I dont know if I saved her life but the witches one loud kick of her castle walll sure made me wonder....but I still wasnt in a hurry......really strange thing is this is the first night I closed Nicks door and made them sleep in their own beds. I just hope poor Peanut wasnt in labor too long...cant believe I didnt notice something/anything 60 minutes before when I went out. Well my eyes are closing and I need to lay down for a few minutes..remind me to ask u about water/lungs and still having umbilical cord attached later... break it then hold them upside down or try to do it while still attached ..im confused ..might help someone.

Can't answer questions, I will leave that for the experts. Congratulations on your new filly! can't wait to see pictures of her.

Letting baby stay with back legs inside momma with the umbilical cord still attached is just perfect. It allows the last of the blood to flow into baby. The key is to tear open the front of the bag covering baby's face, which you did. So, you did just fine.

Baby, in my opinion, wouldn't have gotten out of the sack, as she had already inhaled some of the fluid inside the sack, so would have drowned or suffocated without your help, Heidi. So, yes, you're quick thinking saved that little girl!

Once Peanut got up and snapped the umibical cord, yes, you could have held baby upside down and let gravity help pull the fluid from her nostrils. But what you did was just fine, and baby is doing great!

Sleep well!

Last edited:
Thanks..the wheezing and knowing there was water in there is why I called...just wasnt sure if i was getting it all out...I was petrified.

When vet left last night he suggested baby stay in stall for about 48 hrs and the very least the first day b/c his legs were still not really under him, pasterns were up but his hind legs were still pretty weak and cow hocky looking. This vet hasnt been out here in a while and I dont think he realized I had a smaller paddock just for the youngsters so I did let them out today. I have heard both ways..keep them rested ( vets ) and let them get out and stretch ( Anna ) this is the one time I went with the forum Aunties and Im glad I did!! She wasnt as "kicky and charging around" as Cam was on his first day but i think it was good for her. Just wish the witchy PNut would lighten up and stop pushing him away. She will not let him off her shoulder or out of the crook of her neck....Very Very protective. I will let them out in the pasture or halter on PNut for a walk around the grass to graze a couple more times today and tomorrow then her legs should be should be good to go. Looks like it might rain..I worry more about the heat than anything else.

I'm a FIRM believer that baby should be walking around on those legs -- it will help immensely getting strength in them and getting baby up on the feet. Had one here one time who's knees bent completely backward when standing. Put him right out in the small paddock with his momma only. Since it was just her and her baby, she let him wander a bit and in 2 days you didn't know he even had a problem. Exercising them gently is what they need IMO.

I'd take Peanut for a walk and perhaps getting her mind on her stomach will help lessen her protectiveness. Once the "newness" wears off, I'll be she'll be just fine. That protective nature teaches baby to obey momma -- which is the most important thing -- as nothing is more important than baby KNOWING that when momma calls they better "high-tail-it" back to momma. I just love it when they do what momma says!

Congrats on your new filly. Your stories make our foaling season seem boring, except I did find a mare standing up at lunchtime with the foal half out. She was on cam and wearing an alarm and the only one who noticed what was going on was her yearling colt (thank goodness!). Can't wait to see pics of your willyless colt.

Latest posts

Back