Heidi.....being a prankster

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Diane the first picture was just about an hour after I found him

2nd one was yesterday/1 day old...love him to pieces Cam was friendly but this one is really an in your face kind of foal...have no idea where color came from...Dads black Holly dark bay

Well, there was only a 6.25% chance of getting his color from that coupling -- and he is just beautiful!!!!!

Do you think he'll stay this color...cam had more black points but was born this color..and is now dark bay too.

If I back comb Sneekers hair its not dark like Cams was.

Thanks, Im pretty smitten with him.

While I have your attention....alfalfa pellets....My horses get a handful w/feed w/holly getting a little extra. I know its fine if foals nibble on Momma food but last night Sneeker was really helping himself ( quite frankly it was getting Holly very annoyed...shes such a pig ).....Im sure he was just gumming alot of them but should I soak or at least just wet them down for her just in case baby is eatting more and more...my concern is that they are harder than regular pellets. I think last year I was using cubes and those I did always soak so I wasnt worried w/Cam but I no longer use cubes.

Heidi he is adorable, congrats and what a lovely surprise his colour is
default_smile.png

I would wet Holly's food as it wouldbe better for both of them. Oops flight is being called. Byeeeee

LOL!! Anna's hat was waving at every plane overhead today, but unless Renee's pilot was way off course then I dont think he will have passed over Wales during the journey!

Oh little Sneeker is just gorgeous - thanks for the pictures Diane. Yes, I would certainly be soaking Holly's feed to a mushy mash if the little fella is nibbling at it, or could you hook up Holly's bucket/bin and give him his own little bowl of mushy food to play with?

How's the marestare connection coming on - will it be up and running soon?

I'd give him his own little dish somewhere near momma, and soak his grain and the pellets until he has some teeth. LOL

I have those small little dishes that hook on a rail, and depending on the momma, I either put it right next to mom's -- or for those mom's who STEAL -- I put it on another wall so baby actually gets some!
default_whistling.gif

And I believe that chestnut/sorrel color is here to stay!!!!

Last edited:
Mushy food it is..I did it the first 2 days but went back to normal today..just more smaller servings. They will now have it mushy for a bit longer. I did put another mushy bowl for him tonight...it really was just a little of Holly food and not too much extra..he proceeded to push it all around and make I mess..may be eatting a table spoon full...it was fun to watch though!!

I cant remember what I did last time....Diane, did you suggest I put them on Mare and Foal...does Strategy have enough protien for her while shes nursing Sneeker...would you suggest something different? I need to go to TS tomorrow and if you think they should be on something different I can slowly start switching....Maybe I should slowly start PNut on something different prior to foaling...your thoughts r appreciated!

I KNOW A SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mushy food it is..I did it the first 2 days but went back to normal today..just more smaller servings. They will now have it mushy for a bit longer. I did put another mushy bowl for him tonight...it really was just a little of Holly food and not too much extra..he proceeded to push it all around and make I mess..may be eatting a table spoon full...it was fun to watch though!!

I cant remember what I did last time....Diane, did you suggest I put them on Mare and Foal...does Strategy have enough protien for her while shes nursing Sneeker...would you suggest something different? I need to go to TS tomorrow and if you think they should be on something different I can slowly start switching....Maybe I should slowly start PNut on something different prior to foaling...your thoughts r appreciated!

I like the Mare/Foal feed -- the Omolene 300 -- as it's 16% protein. The Strategy is only 12.5%, so I would suggest going with the Mare/Foal feed for a month or so at least. It's a great growth feed for the little ones, giving them that extra boost of protein for muscle and bone growth, so I would keep the lactating mares and foals on the Omolene 300 if possible.

Last edited:
Okay. I got permission.

PEANUT JUST FOALED!!!!! Another "twin" of Mr. Sneeker!! She says the same color and another boy -- actually she said she's 3-for-3 with boys!!

Baby inhaled some fluid and was wheezing a bit - so she called me -- but she was doing just fine and that's taken care of now. Peanut is in quite a bit of discomfort, and she didn't have Banamine, but had something the vet gave her for Cam when he was gelded, but it takes a longer time to work. She called the vet for the dosage and Peanut is uncomfortable but not rolling or colicing, and the little one is hungry but momma keeps going up and down.

So, I'm sure it will all get figured out -- she's going to try and milk Peanut to get some colostrum in baby and then once the meds kick in, try to help him find the milk bar.

(I didn't want to give it away, but she told me to post for you all!)

Last edited:
Thanks , FOR SALE ONE CAMERA!!!

Going to milk just in case...vet peeved i think ...im making him come out now....please pray..just in case...hes so small the smallest Ive ever seen...little worried ..but hopefully vet can assure me. inhale...exhale

OH NO!! Sorry I mean MANY CONGRATULATIONS!! (the 'oh no' was because things happened before we were all given the chance to view, to get excited, to talk etc etc!!)

What are your girls up to this year Heidi - completely different from everyone elses that's for sure!! Really hope our sweet Peanut and her new little son will be ok.
default_pray.gif

To answer your earlier question, yes I would get both mares on to a mare and foal feed asap, especially as they both have 'premie' foals to feed - the higher protein will be essential.

Hooray for poops - do let us have all the details of what happened! Who is due to foal next and might they be early too?

Again - many congratulations!!
default_thumbup.gif

default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Oh YAY!!! Congrats on your third boy and the second is a cutie pie too! I will be thinking of Miss Peanut and wishing her a speedy recovery. Must admit though that Im a bit disapointed that I will not be seeing Peanut on cam now.... But hey, healthy Mama and foal are the most important so I guess i can forgive her
default_wub.png

Heidi I think you need to change your thread heading to New Foal X Two!!

And we need pictures!!

Phew......O.K....first off.......IT HAS NO WILLY...can u believe it!!!

IM so glad my favorite vet was on call.......I LOVE THIS GUY!!! Except the first darn thing he said when he looked in the stall....does Skiff know you are using this beautiful hay as bedding!!

Cripes I had no choice!!

Peanut doing well....preventative he put a little mineral oil and stress pac in to help get things going just to be safe..gut sounds, temp, all normal..placenta no tears normal

He thought the baby was a little small...maybe not the brightest horse in the barn ( took forever to find milk bar) either but good sucking reflex, eyes ( I had to flip some lashes out and thought I might have hhurt her ) b/c after I did it she was really cocking her head sideways...he looked at them both w/his eye light thingy and got one or 2 more lashes flipped and now appears fine. When he took her temp it was hard to go in because of a meco ball stuck right there finally got temp 100.1 but was alittle worried that she may have trouble passing the ball so we gave her an enema just to be safe and soften it up . By the time he left she had already cleaned out her system and he was very happy to see butterscotch milk poop starting ...same color as I had been worried about w/Sneeker. Watched her nurse some more...it takes her forever.

Has anyone ever used dehydrated Hay...its a mix of T/A and the size of a brick swells right up ( he said about 10x's ) w/h2o and he gave me some electrolites to add to it...says its a great way to get water into these guys and keep them hydrated....suggested to just break off a small amount and give her some for a bit....Anyway..I will post more later but again Diane...what do I say...from the bottom of my heart, I cant thank you enough...sometimes its just a calm voice..I just dont know what or how to say it so a simple thank you will have to do for now. Going out to check again and I promise I will leave them to bond...Anna thank you...I will change my thread titile!

Latest posts

Back