halter training question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywood mini

Reaction score
I'm working with my under two year old on halter training. He is doing much better with walking and stopping but keeps walking too close to me. When I push him over, he seems to be confused. What am I doing wrong. I'm holding the lead about 8 inches from the halter. Also, is there a way to keep them from wanting to eat grass while training. I don't have a non grass area to use.

I really shouldn't be answering since I have so little experience compared to most on here, but here's what worked for me. One of my fillies was a hugger
default_wink.png
, so once on a long walk around the farmer's lanes, I grabbed a fat stick that wasn't sharp on the end. I held it between me and her shoulder so every time she got too close she bumped it. I worked like a charm!! I saved that stick for a long time.
default_laugh.png
Now I use the handle part of a crop. (the stick worked better)

I struggled with grass too. I work them in the road since I can see traffic coming for a long way. But, I've found that holding the lead tighter whle they're diving down helps...don't let their head reach the grass. It takes several times for them to understand the grass isn't going to happen... but with consistency, it's worked for me.

Good luck!

Karla gave the same advice I was going to suggest.
thanks, I'll try the stick idea tomorrow. Since they are just starting their training, I'm having to tap on their sholder or butt sometimes to get them started so I'm already too close. One of my horses got a little attitude about the grass. I'll keep working with them.

First never ever let a horse eat grass while you are walking it ever. ONce you let that get started its very hard to stop. Our sometimes have to show on grass so I have to stick to that or my horses would just eat and not show LOL. You might try slipping a chain in the halter to get them corrected to stop putting their head down to the grass

Karlas idea is great. I use my arm to do the same thing. I put my right arm out and one finger in their shoulder to show them how to respect my space

I use a stick as well. My 2 year old Smokie loved to hug me while we were walking last year, got a electrical fence post (fiberglass type) and that worked like a charm.

Latest posts

Back