group stall/ run in shed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use a hay bag/rack/net for each mini. This reduces fighting and makes sure that each mini gets plenty of hay. If your one or two of your minis seem to be eating more hey than the others/stealing the others hay it might be a good idea to feed them separately. It might also work to put the hay racks on different sides of the shed. You can try different things but make sure that all of the minis are getting plenty of hay. :)

I don't use hay racks because I don't like the particles falling into their eyes. I just make sure there are enough piles that everyone can get one. Some of mine happily share a pile and some like their own pile. But if I had one that wouldn't let someone else eat they would have their own area to go in.

Thanks, what about a Manger that you put the hay down in? Then they would have to reach in and get the hay. Hay is scarce and getting much more expensive every year so I am thinking about how to give them enough without waste.

If they all eat together nicely then a manger would be fine. I've found that if you don't want to waste hay, you have to weigh it according to each horses needs and feed several times a day. That way they clean it all up before the next feeding.

ok, that makes sense. I was sort of thinking of some straight stalls for feeding stalls if one needed feed or something, or separated for a foot injury.

I do like the hay feeder boxes with the net on top but it never seems to stop them from wasting hay. I have one for each, but they still pick out what they want, then waste the rest. And then I have to clean it out of the box instead of just using a manure fork. Small amounts through the day has worked...if you have the time to do it.

A manger should work, but again be sure to watch that they aren't fighting. Nibble nets work good to though.

I was sort of thinking if I were away over night, something I could fill and know they had feed..... or if I might be a way and have someone fill their mangers once a day...….. that would by far be the exception, I am hardly ever away, lol

I used to fill separate hay nets and hang them all over, but I found my little lovebirds would both eat one, then move on to the other. I got a haychix 1” slow feed net and put half a bale in. It takes them a bit over 24 hours to eat it all. I also like the smart pack 1.5” Hay bags, but you can only get 1 big flake in each so they need to be refilled after about 10 hours

I use hay nets as well but I hang them low because they bat them around filling their ears/manes/heads full of hay bits. Hanging them low keeps them in a grazing position and they don't bump and bat them as much. I try to have one more bag than horses if they are all confined in together.

Latest posts

Back