Book Club 2024

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lessons In Chemistry

I really liked this book! I totally recommend it to y’all. Everyone in my book club really liked it too and we all agreed that it isn’t something we would normally read. It is sooooo good! So stay on those wait lists and read it when you get a chance! 💕

Here is what I’m thinking… we can make whatever changes as we go 😍

FEBRUARY
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Host: Kelly

MARCH
Fly Girls by Keith O’Brien
Host: @MaryFlora

APRIL
Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
Host: @LostandFound

May
The Invincible Miss Cust
or
North Woods by Daniel Mason
May book will be chosen and hosted by:
@1roadtoad
Let us know which book you pick for the group 😊

June
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doeer
Host: @HersheyMint

July
Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult
Host: @Bennysmom

August
Rough Magic by Laura Prior-Palmer
Host: @MaryFlora

To host a month simply means to post questions about the book in order to get the group chatting about the book. Questions can be found on the internet or sometimes in the back of books. Let’s try to have books read by the end of their month and questions posted by the 25th or earlier of each month.

What do y’all think??

**Edited to update books
Kelly, Up until now I haven't acknowledge my hosting the book club for May. This is because I have been finishing up plans for a trip to Alaska and didn't know when I would be available to host. I really want to participate in the book club, but I really can't host in May. I travel quite a bit from April thru October. This year from mid May until July, I will be in Alaska. If I wasn't leaving until June I could have hosted, but I'm leaving earlier than I thought I would. Is it possible that I host September or switch with the August host? Sorry for any inconvenience.

February:

SPOILER ALERT!
Do NOT read the following posts unless you have finished the book! The questions and responses will spoil the ending for you.

I really enjoyed the book Where The Crawdads Sing. Here are some questions to think about. Answer as many as you would like 😊

1. How would you rate the book, from 1 to 5 ⭐️, 5 being the highest. What did you think about the book? Did you like it? Would you recommend it to others?

2. We know that Kya is the one left behind. For much of the novel, we don’t know why Kya’s mother left and never returned. Why did you think she left at first? What did you think about Jodie’s revelation about their mom? What did it reveal about the differences between Kya and her mom? Were you surprised when Jodie came back?

3. What is Kya’s relationship like with Jumpin’ and Mabel? Why are they drawn to Kya and what do they have to offer her?

4. How did observing nature impact Kya’s viewpoint of relationships? What does Kya learn about relationships by watching fireflies? How did her interpretation of their behavior inform her choices later?

5. How did you feel about Tate’s discovery at the end of the novel? Did you expect it? Does it change the way you view the rest of the story? Were you surprised she never told the truth to Tate? Why do you think she did kill Chase? Were you surprised or disappointed by the way the book ended? Did you think all along Kya killed Chase? Or did you believe it was someone else?

6. What did you think about the use of poetry? Were you surprised when Kya was a secret poet?

February:

SPOILER ALERT!
Do NOT read the following posts unless you have finished the book! The questions and responses will spoil the ending for you.

I really enjoyed the book Where The Crawdads Sing. Here are some questions to think about. Answer as many as you would like 😊

1. How would you rate the book, from 1 to 5 ⭐️, 5 being the highest. What did you think about the book? Did you like it? Would you recommend it to others?

2. We know that Kya is the one left behind. For much of the novel, we don’t know why Kya’s mother left and never returned. Why did you think she left at first? What did you think about Jodie’s revelation about their mom? What did it reveal about the differences between Kya and her mom? Were you surprised when Jodie came back?

3. What is Kya’s relationship like with Jumpin’ and Mabel? Why are they drawn to Kya and what do they have to offer her?

4. How did observing nature impact Kya’s viewpoint of relationships? What does Kya learn about relationships by watching fireflies? How did her interpretation of their behavior inform her choices later?

5. How did you feel about Tate’s discovery at the end of the novel? Did you expect it? Does it change the way you view the rest of the story? Were you surprised she never told the truth to Tate? Why do you think she did kill Chase? Were you surprised or disappointed by the way the book ended? Did you think all along Kya killed Chase? Or did you believe it was someone else?

6. What did you think about the use of poetry? Were you surprised when Kya was a secret poet?

#1 4⭐I enjoyed reading the book. I would have no read it on my own. Thank you
#2 Kya's mom couldn't take the abuse and drunkiness.
#2b Sad #2c? #2d No
#3 Best friends #3b They were all outcast from the town. #3c Love
#4 In relationships and nature someone leaves and someone is left behind. #4b? #4c?
#5 Not surprised #5b No #5c No #5d No #5e He was an abuser, a liar and he wouldn't leave her alone. #5f No seemed to be a natural way for Kya #5g No #5h Yes, but Ididn't know who it might be.
#6 Yes

February:

SPOILER ALERT!
1. I rate this book a 5. I enjoyed it tremendously and will recommend it to others. I watched the movie after I finished reading and it was not nearly as good as the book.

2. I figured she left an abusive home. It seemed strange that she left her children, but Jodie's explanation made a lot of sense and I sympathized with Ma. In contrast, Kya seems much stronger and self-sufficient. I was surprised when Jodie came back.

3. Jumpin' and Mabel sort of adopt Kya and become parent figures for Kya. They offer clothing and food, but more importantly, a link to human company. They are the only ones Kya can trust.

4. Kya's connection to nature is what made me love this book. Because of nature, Kya looked at relationships as basic and instinct driven. She also had a naivete and innocence because nature doesn't have an undercutting, manipulative aspect. Also, like animals, Kya developed a general fear of humans that she had to work to overcome.

5. Tate's discovery totally took me by surprise! It did make me see Kya as more natural than I originally thought. Kya was simply acting as the fireflies and the mantis. It wasn't a disappointment. At first I thought it was possible she killed Chase. After the trial ended, I thought that maybe Tate or Jumpin' killed Chase. I did think she would have told Tate, but maybe she didn't want to involve him. She definitely did not want to go to jail, the ultimate isolation.

6. The use of poetry was nice. It reminded me that even though people are a part of nature and have instincts, we also long for goodness and beauty. Poetry was Kya's escape from the black and white of the natural world. I didn't expect her to be the poet but it made sense that she was.

1. Loved this book and five it a 5. The sense of place was very evocative throughout the book with the wonderfully descriptive narrative and took me back home to NW Florida, way back. 😂 I haven’t seen the movie and am not sure I will.

2. Kya’s mom was abused and had to leave to save herself. I was surprised, however, that she left the kids behind and at risk and thought perhaps she would reappear one day.

3. Jumpin and Mabel became family as did their larger community who supported Kya through Jumpin and Mabel.

4. Nature and Kya’s interaction probably resonates with most of us by virtue of our interacting everyday with our horses, animals, and environment. We are able to understand Kya’s growing and learning about herself as she becomes very educated about her environment. She was so alone most of her growing that nature became Mother Nature teaching her many lessons including how creatures communicate, such as the fireflies, and how to just ‘be’ in silence.

5. Like Bennysmom, I was surprised by Tate’s discovery but agree that Kya was acting to survive not out of sense of greed or power. I really went back and forth on who actually killed Chase! The ending was not a disappointment.

6. I have always liked poetry and enjoyed that it was a part of the story. My favorite books of poetry are by Robert Frost and Emily Dickinson. Poetry can say a lot with few words and has a way of sticking with us, like an old melody. I bet many of us recognize this: “Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul. And sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all…” Emily Dickinson

Latest posts

Back