About-to-be mini donkey and mini mule owner from mid-Michigan!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adequate

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! Next week, I bring home my very first equines, after a lifetime of wanting a horse (and I’m in my 60’s now!) I am adopting a bonded pair from a horse rescue. Rosie is a 26 year old miniature donkey, and Poppy is a 20 year old mini mule.IMG_5506.jpeg

I have always loved horses, and have worked at several different types of stables over the years as a side job. But there’s a lot I don’t know about horses, donkeys, mules, and minis in particular! I hope to benefit from everyone’s experiences in this forum, and also enjoy your stories and pictures of your minis!

Over a year ago, I was able to buy my “dream farm”— a 10 acre property that for decades had been a boarding and training stable specializing in dressage, although I think had not been maintained so well in the last few years of the owner’s life. There are two bigger barns with stalls, a few smaller barns, an honest-to-gosh indoor riding arena, some run-in sheds… it just makes me happy to look at!

I currently have 3 goats and a peacock. I am working toward my own personal petting farm!

Welcome from Minnesota! 👋

Poppy and Rosie are so pretty and very fortunate to be together with someone excited to have them. The three of you have some fun ahead!

Your dream property sounds like a treasure trove of possibilities with lots of room for your critters. 😍

Excited to hear how Rosie and Poppy settle into their new home!

Congratulations! 🥳

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new family! You could not be starting any better than with donkeys (and mules) - their personalities are unmatched. My favorite donkey resource is the Donkey Sanctuary, tons of great information on care and ownership: Keep up to date with our donkeys | The Donkey Sanctuary

Looking forward to following your journey with your petting farm!

Wait a minute Adequate, did you say “peacock”? 🦚
Haha, yes, I have a peacock named Maurice! 10 years or so ago, a neighbor where I lived at the time called me and said, “Your peacock is at my house!” I said, “I don’t have a peacock.” (I’d had chickens, geese, and turkeys over the years, so obviously it must be mine?) The neighbor said, “Well, would you like a peacock?” And that’s how I came to have Maurice.

I have promised him some lady peahens, once I finish with repairs to his new home.

(He has a call he makes. Not outrageously noisy, and not very often. Nowhere near as noisy as when I had multiple roosters, lol).

Attachments

• 72136332821__D256FDC7-1B66-46AC-82D6-A1C85F43C941.jpeg
    72136332821__D256FDC7-1B66-46AC-82D6-A1C85F43C941.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back