Got my new harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren&Rocky

Reaction score
I got this harness on e-bay. It is not the best, but it will do for now. I am not showing driving anyway and I don't even have a cart, but having a harness is one step closer. Rocky has never driven, as far as I know, but he pulls stuff for me all the time. After a few "What are you doing back there!" panic attacks, Rocky went along just fine. I think he will be a good one!! I am planning on driving Loren to school (2 milees there and back) so I want to get some miles in the harness and cart on him first!!

drivingrocky003.JPG

drivingrocky005.JPG

drivingrocky007.JPG

drivingrocky009.JPG

:aktion033: Congratulations on at least knowing how to harness him up. Have you driven before? May I just mention and I may be wrong, that except for show driving you might want to remove the checks on the bridle.

We don't use one at all as we drive on trails and roads, (well Carl drives now, my cart hasn't arrived yet) and in our club it's consenses of opinion not to use checks! . On a hill or grade it can prevent them from getting their head down for balance.

As stated before we don't use them on trails and roads but JMHO.

Love the one of Loren leading him..course Loren is a special little guy anyway.

I bet we see him on the circuit some day. He's becoming quite a horseman!

Harness looks nice!

Maxine

I was taught to drive about 8 years ago by a lady named Linda Fairbanks. She was very good. But, my APHA Stallion I trained under her was not to happy about being a driving horse. He flipped over one day smashing the 1911 dog cart I had him hooked to and nearly me as well. I never drove again. I have beed scared to do so. I think a mini would be something I could handle. I might go to big horses again some day.
default_smile.png
I am going to take lessons again and drive a few broke horses before I try my own. I don't want to screw it up again. :bgrin

Well you look as though you are ready to go. If you don't think you can drive yet, I'll bet your little one would be happy to have the job!

I don't use the overcheck either for my country drives.

I envy you the 2 mile drive to school--perfect distance for a pleasureable drive!

Marsha

Nice pics, and rocky doesnt look too tramatized. in that last pic does that window look into the house? My wife would be "So" jellous! Shes thrilled to be able to see them off the back porch.DR.
The window is actually our basement window. I love to see them out of it and we also see them out of our living room windows too. Also, Slick comes in the house all the time anyway, so I always get to see more of him than usuall. :bgrin

And about the check rein, I just left it on because I am seeing how the entire thing fit etc. I might leave it on, but will make sure it is long enough not to interfear with out outings!! :bgrin

Wonders at your house never cease! Lucky Loren, Slick and Rocky. Lookin great! :aktion033:

Simply perfect! Rocky is going to love this!! You do know how to enjoy living!!

DUMP the check rein!!!!

Also I would not use blinders as this horse definitely doesn't need them and may have trust issues.

You are asking a heck of a lot from this horse and he just keeps giving, please don't ask too much- I don't off hand know many horses that, if asked, would choose to be half blinded by those stupid things!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

This is the way the harness came. I am not going to cut it up to get the blinkers off and Rocky will just have to deal with it the way it is for now.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I don't have a cart and Loren is 3, so I have 2 years to get it figured out. :bgrin

not to put a damper on your excitement cuz i know how exciting it is to get new stuff.... and i adore driving so anything like harness's and stuff gets me excited .....BUT when you do start driving.. be certain to check that harness thoroughly and frequently. i had one that looked/built very similar and it was constantly breaking (differnt places but especially on the tug loop area). I have sinced basically rebuilt it with nylong backing on all the stress points to make it sturdier but i don't use it very often and it's basically a extra back up ....anyhow i have differnt harness's to use now..BUT if it's like mine was.. it was an accident waiting to happen. just check it carefully before using it each and every time. i'd hate to see anyone get hurt!

All you have to do is use his riding bridle instead of the driving one.

There is no point in using blinders if they are not needed, ditto the check rein.

We purchased the exact same harness off e-bay for Big Man and it's held up great,... but I did get the scissors out and cut off the blinders (we just drive for fun, no showing). Rocky looks GREAT! :aktion033:

Please dont Flame me for this as Im not an expert on anything but I personaly would not remove the blinders . I grew up in a family who still worked with teams of horses till into the 1960s. great grandfather was a little hard headed. I was always told that horses are flight animals and if chased will always run.if something behind startled them and they jump forward that cart is now chasing them.the blinders are to keep them from seeing it. its a little like removing the saftey from your shotgun, when your carefull you wont need that!!! DR.

Danger I hear what you are saying but, when I was little my "bible" was Black Beauty- this is where I learned to see things from the horses point of view, not ours.

I have taken Blinders off a horse that had been driven in them for ten years, and never in an open bridle.

He came alive- his owner said it was like driving a new horse.

I have never harness trained a horse in blinders and I have never put them on because they were needed- thay have never been needed, you see.

Correctly trained horses do not panic when they see a cart following - why should they??

I have, however, had a gelding I started panic badly, and wreck the cart , at a show, when something he could not see went by- his owners had bought a harness with blinders and had just shoved it on him for the show.

The very experienced driving people who caught the wreck pulled the bridle off straight away and he stopped dead and stood still.

We underestimate horses all the time.

Your Grand-Dad was working in another era- in those days horses that I would not bother training o harness had to be worked as that was what horses did, they worked.

In those days it was easier to bung blinders on everything.

I was born just at the end of "those days" and I remember them and horses working in harness everyday.

It was a different world and things were different.

Nine times out of ten a horse does not need blinders, believe me.

They do no actual harm, unlike check reins which do a lot of harm and I cannot for the life of me see any good that they do- you will not find a check rein on any UK harness.

I use one of my in hand bridles form the Shetland days for my harness bridle- it looks exactly like a driving bridle but has no blinders in it.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, I did not mean to turn this into an argument, or even a discussion about the pros and cons of various harness bits
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

I think Rocky will do great in harness...he seems like such a people pleaser. As for the blinders...it's your horse, so you can do whatever works best...they are on the harness for a reason. Rocky may need them or not, but in the end it is up to you....good luck...

Oh good gosh! You have done fantastic with Rocky and isn't it great to have a horse that is so versatile that you can just go have fun with him and don't have to worry about; blinders or not, side check or not. I love looking at all your posts because you are a true horse person that is having a blast and showing your son just how much fun a horse can be.

Oh good gosh! You have done fantastic with Rocky and isn't it great to have a horse that is so versatile that you can just go have fun with him and don't have to worry about; blinders or not, side check or not. I love looking at all your posts because you are a true horse person that is having a blast and showing your son just how much fun a horse can be.
Thank you!! I just want to do all the things I never got to do as a kid with my kid, (Weather he likes it or not) :bgrin

:aktion033:

yeh!!

i always read your posts too, because i love seeing what your little boy is doing with the horses.... some of the picz you have posted are lovely, and i think you are a real horsey person too

loren will grow up with some very happy memories.just like i want for my kids too

so keep up the good work

steph

rabbitsfizz said:
DUMP the check rein!!!!Also I would not use blinders as this horse definitely doesn't need them and may have trust issues.

You are asking a heck of a lot from this horse and he just keeps giving, please don't ask too much- I don't off hand know many horses that, if asked, would choose to be half blinded by those stupid things!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:
Down, Fizzie.
default_rolleyes.gif
: You know I love you but you aren't the only one to read Black Beauty. I did and I still don't think check reins are evil. I think they're STUPID and checking the horse UP is evil, but having the check on by itself is not evil. I actually rather enjoyed watching Kody be caught up short at the mini show last weekend when he tried to start his normal shenaningans with yanking his head towards the ground when he's eager to go during hitching. Twangggg!! Ah, it was sweet. The expression on his disgruntled little face before he gave up and stood in a mannerly fashion was priceless! *sighs blissfully* But you bet I had that check on the last notch and so loose that he was able to do a proper free walk on a long rein without it interferring.

I actually would use an overcheck or sidecheck on Rocky, but adjusted loosely enough that it only prevents him from actually grazing. Once he's really driving someday and Loren is handling him you don't want him deciding to eat and pulling Loren forward off the seat. It's happened! :lol: That is the only good use for a check rein is to aid small children in not getting bullied by their driving horses' stomachs.

Blinders are up to you. Horses drive well both ways and you may find one way works better than the other for Rocky. Kody got trained with blinkers and while he may not have asked for it, he does just fine. I see both sides though- while sometimes having them on keeps him from spooking as he stops worrying about what he can't see, other times the sheer fact he can't see whatever's making the scary noise makes it that much scarier. No matter what, train them to have faith in you! It can overcome that need to turn around and face it or to run away from it.

You and Rocky will do wonderfully. Do get some professional advice just to be safe as Rocky is not an uncomplicated case but judging from the way you fitted the harness you have a pretty good idea what you're doing.

Leia

Back