Got my new harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do find it strange that all over the US there are horses pulling for grass and, all over the UK there are not any of these horses at all.

Train the horse not to eat with it's bit in, end of story.

None of mine ever have.

Never leave a child in a cart unattended.

Mine never have been.

I agree with Hobby!

Rocky is a good little horse you know him better than anyone. I love your posts too cause neither of my kids cared a thing about horses despite my proding them,, finally gave up and let them do their own things.

I think Rocky will be an awesome driving horse!

Was black beauty written by a horse?

I read your threads all the time. You love your horses and so does your little one, they are always cute and entertaining pics, I think you know what you are doing and will make all the right decisions.

Thank you! Loren wants a buggy sooo bad! we got to ride in one a few weeks ago and he could not get enough. So, I am working on getting one soon. Loren wants one NOW!! I still have to get the horse trained to pull it, but Loren has no concept of that. It will be fun once we get it all together. :bgrin

I do find it strange that all over the US there are horses pulling for grass and, all over the UK there are not any of these horses at all.Train the horse not to eat with it's bit in, end of story.

None of mine ever have.

Never leave a child in a cart unattended.

Mine never have been.
Well, you know what they say about the grass on the other side of the pond! :lol:
default_wink.png
:

Sorry, couldn't resist. No, you're right that you need to train your horse not to eat with the bit in. The grass at Happ's is up to Kody's chest or above in a lot of places and he doesn't even snitch because I've simply never let him, no check involved. But I'm an adult and can brace against him when he tries and reinforce the lesson. As we all know minis are smart little cookies and it only takes one unfoiled attempt to graze with a child before they figure out they can do it. It's just easier to prevent that attempt until it doesn't even occur to them that they could. Voila! You've trained your horse not to graze!

Love ya Fizz,
default_cheekkiss.gif
: it's nice to have information and opinions from somewhere different.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

Leia

I don't have a problem with my horses eating on the trail or while being walked or what ever. If they are in hand or being ridden, they don't eat. They do graze in hand only if I let them know it is ok, and I don't do that very often. Rocky never tries to eat while he is in the hands of a kid. Slick will try and eat sometimes if a kid is leading him, but not often. That is just how my lazy, un-ruly American horses are handled. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Was black beauty written by a horse?
:lol: To funny

Anyway I think you will do wonderful sounds like you have done this before and know what you are doing or at least have a good start. We are starting Ravens gelding in driving and he wears blinders and a check with no problem he isnt in pain or upset or anything else I personally feel it is appropriate for my daugther and her green horse at this stage.

Good luck with him and have fun!

Latest posts

Back