Gay marriage - taking a step away from progress

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing about gay marriage, you have to go to the states that allow it, and stay there and don't leave because other states do not recognize your marriage.

That happened to friends of mine, one had a massive stroke, the other was run off by the estranged parents who closely guarded her and wouldn't let her partner make any kinds of decisions. They ended up losing their home, all of their money, business, everything thanks to these "protective" parents while the one partner was incapacitated. Yes, they failed to do the paperwork to protect themselves. Live and learn eh? I think that they should be allowed to have a legal option equal to marriage, be it some other name if marriage twists people too much, but give them the option, and it needs to be recognized nationally just as marriage is.

As for the rest, not going there as my opinion is sure to be very unpopular with this crowd.

I usually don't post these things, but i thought it was wonderful.

545131_10150802755966275_177486166274_9970351_51130768_n.jpg

ETA: i know, i know-it's not just conservatives that this should be addressed to. It should have been addressed to ALL fb friends, but it's from a liberal biased fb group. The message is good though-just don't look at the rest
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually don't post these things, but i thought it was wonderful.
545131_10150802755966275_177486166274_9970351_51130768_n.jpg
I think so too!!!!!!!!

And then i would also ask or legislators, , "how much of my tax payer money is going to attempt to fight gay marriage?" And i would also like to ask why as tax paying American citizens, they (gay people) are not entitled to equal rights and protections under the constitution and local, state, and federal laws.

Dr. Taylor, Its not about marrying children, or animals, they are not competent enough to make a legal consent.. Its about 2 adults of legal age wanting to marry. .

Hey, in NC you can marry your first cousin (unless they are gay) ... as lil hoofbeats pointed out!
Yep thats us in NC!!!!! Promoting the hatred of love....one law at a time!!!! We hate more by 9 am then most states do all day! I guess we showed Alabama and Mississippi who's boss!

Realize, not all conservatives oppose gay marriage... I actually know a lot of conservatives who feel as I do on this issue.

And if I were a homosexual and wanted to honor a union to another, right now I'd go to a state that allows it......
1) Marriage doesn't have to be done by a church, it can be done by a JOP.

2) If you went to a state that allows it, all you'd have is a piece of paper. You would have none of the rights or legal protections in your home state. You'd have to move permanently to the state that allowed it.

1) Marriage doesn't have to be done by a church, it can be done by a JOP.

2) If you went to a state that allows it, all you'd have is a piece of paper. You would have none of the rights or legal protections in your home state. You'd have to move permanently to the state that allowed it.
1) That's how I was married... in my jeans and riding boots,

2) I thought MA meant she'd go there, and live there but could be wrong.

I think so too!!!!!!!!

And then i would also ask or legislators, , "how much of my tax payer money is going to attempt to fight gay marriage?" And i would also like to ask why as tax paying American citizens, they (gay people) are not entitled to equal rights and protections under the constitution and local, state, and federal laws.

Dr. Taylor, Its not about marrying children, or animals, they are not competent enough to make a legal consent.. Its about 2 adults of legal age wanting to marry. .
I agree the bestiality argument is pretty poor, I never made it.

It is apparent you believe there should be some restrictions to marriage. What I wonder is why don't the following arguments apply for polygamists, parents/children (of legal age), or siblings?

Leave people alone !!!

Gee all they want to do is have the same basic rights that we male/female married couples enjoy.

Love is love!

You can't tell me a man/woman relationship is any different than any sex relationship when it comes to love.

Dr Taylor

And if I were a homosexual and wanted to honor a union to another, right now I'd go to a state that allows it......
and keep your fingers crossed the voters of that state don't overturn the ruling
default_smile.png
Can you opposite sex married couples imagine that you're married to your spouse in the state you live but if you take a vacation somewhere else you may not be...what if you got into an accident in that state. You get overwhelmed with the possibilities of things that could go wrong...not to mention it's just silly.

Taylor said it's nothing like the black/white issues of the 50's but I don't see it as being any different at all. Normal everyday rights allowed to one group are being denied to another. They're not asking for anything special - just the same right to marry as we all enjoy because in the USA marriage is a designation that comes with other benefits that many of us don't think twice about. What's worse is...can't you actually imagine the nationwide uproar if we allowed whites to marry and not blacks !!! I'd love to know how there is any difference whatsoever between that minority group and the gay minority group. How can we be offended by the idea of not letting blacks marry but not be equally offended when it comes to gays?

(oh yeah, because it says its a sin in the bible...nuf said about that one lol)

On the topic of states having different laws, Vermont had a horrible child custody state where one partner moved out of state where gay marriage wasn't recognized and the other stayed here. Took years of legal battles and was truly a mess for all involved.

Really, another way to DIVIDE our people.
default_unsure.png

How so, Jill? Everyone knew what his stance was all along as it supposedly "evolved" and it would have been politically smarter NOT to have said anything. I also do not think that it is all "smoke & mirrors" - it was going to happen at some point. Other issues demand far more "smoke & mirrors" than this. This is pretty black & white - or straight & gay, if you prefer. How does Obama saying that divide anyone? The division on that topic was already there amd will always be there. The fact that you are in favour of gay marriage divides you from a lot of/most conservatives - is that damaging in any way? No.

The divide between left & right, liberal & conservative, Democrat & Republican will always exist no matter who says what... and sayng it was all just "going for the gay vote" is not much of a plan if GLBTs are only about 10% of the population. Those undecided voters who were annoyed by that gay marriage opinion and have turned away because of it would likely cancel a lot of that out...

It is apparent you believe there should be some restrictions to marriage.
Not really, i pretty much try to stay out of others personal lives as much as possible, As long as some one in the partnership is not being hurt.... i am ok with it. I have always been a live and let live kinda gal; Two consenting adults can do as they wish. Does not mean i agree with it, just means i am not going to stick my nose in it.

Well now I hear today the Mr. Mitt Romney wants a constitutional amendment to state that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Do I hear I another nail in the coffin?

If civil unions, done by a JP are only recognized in that state, does that mean that every couple (gay or not!) who's been married by a JP isn't recognized as married if they move?

Well now I hear today the Mr. Mitt Romney wants a constitutional amendment to state that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Do I hear I another nail in the coffin?
Been pretty busy today and haven't had the TV or radio on. Can't tell you how mad that makes me. I've been a republican my entire voting life and I will NOT be casting a vote for this man, in fact I'm seriously thinking about voting Obama to help make sure Romney doesn't get in. If the President of the United States has no regard for the principles we were founded on what hope do we have. I don't expect this man to keep his cult/religion out of his politics for one second. Sure wish RP stood a fraction of a chance. He may be a religious man but at least he knows when to separate it. Next thing we'll find is he will want science books banned from public schools for printing heresy.

If civil unions, done by a JP are only recognized in that state, does that mean that every couple (gay or not!) who's been married by a JP isn't recognized as married if they move?
I would imagine most hetero people are getting married by the JP not just entering a civil union. Weddings and civil unions are performed but most folks I know of opted for the wedding
default_smile.png
Marriages done at a courthouse are recognized the world over.

Only Hetero marriages are recognized world wide. Gay marriages are only recognized in the states where they are legal.

Over 1500 animal species practice homosexual behavior, including whales, dolphins, lions, monkeys, most herding animals. The only species that discriminates against that behavior? Humans. Sad, isn't it?

Only if the other state doesn't recognize the union for what it is. So "normal" m/f marriage, all states recognize. Gay marriage, only a few do. So if you have a license in a state that allows it, then move to one that doesn't recognize the paper, no, you aren't married there in that state's laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back