For those who have rideable minis, questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondinmypocket

Reaction score
How do you teach them to rein? Trying to help a friend and I have never had the need to look into it.

Thanks!

For my mare I had been ground driving her a lot, before I ever tried putting a saddle on her. When she learned how to rein while ground driving, (right, left, whoa) it was a piece of cake with a saddle and child on her. She realized they were the same commands even with a different set up on her.

I walk next to them and hold the reins in my hands at the withers, like I would if I were riding, but you could start ground driving which is longer reins and further away. Most of the kids I have ride are young so on lead line and they learn the voice commands. I also put reins on the halter rings, so the kids can steer & stop without hurting the horses mouth and that also teaches them. I need to get an "experienced" child to help move my mare to off lead, but she does pretty good by voice commands from so many years doing lead-line.

I only let kids under 40 pounds ride Éowyn which means my nephew who is 3 years old and my niece who is 2. Which they aren't experienced and Éowyns not broke but she lets them ride her bareback. Good luck! =)

Ground driving same as for driving but with open bridle (no blinders). After they get used to the commands then you can work on the weight on the back. As with the others, I started my grandkids quite young so I walked along side (so I could pull them off at anytime - and have had to) and they didn't really use the reins. All my minis have accepted weight on the back as no big deal. I should add that I've only used my 34" and bigger ones. I think the 32" guy is too small for most any kid with a saddle.

Thanks everyone! Your advice was what I was thinking as well, but wanted to have more input before I gave advice. My friend has a trusted horsewoman helping her find something, but because she is thinking about minis, (of which I know most about) I am trying to help her if she does find a mini she likes, so she hopefully ends up with a nice one. ;)

Latest posts

Back