Tools for ground driving?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thathorsecrazychick

Way to much time to spend on my horse
Reaction score
I want to teach my mini to ground drive. I wanted to know what equiment I would need, I already have driving reins ( they came with a mini backpack i got for her. It has a ground driving option) I've looked at video after video and just wanted to check, Do you use a surcingle for teaching a mini to ground drive? This is for the future she's not ready yet. I just wanted to know.

I would guess most people do use a training surcingle to teach ground driving. I do, it makes it easier for me to handle the reins. But some people just use a halter and two long lines. Some people use part of a driving harness.
Do you know how much a surcingle cost? Also i like to use rope halters to train, but i do have a Nylon halter with rings. But i probaly stop talking about this until she can lunge correctly.

I don't know how to successfully teach ground driving (especially with a mini) without a surcingle. It prevents them from just spinning and turning around in the lines. It keeps things straight. I've found they're not expensive and should be fairly easily sourced, depending on your area. Yes, lunging is a great place to start, and giving to pressure following that. My own personal preference is to stay away from rope halters. I don't find any benefit in using them - personally.
Best wishes!

I personally like rope halters ( not the ones that are big and fat though) ones like these.. They have knots on all the pressure points on a horses face for a good communication.

Attachments

• 70C00F51-7043-4AB9-8400-3C4B20BC6B67.png
    70C00F51-7043-4AB9-8400-3C4B20BC6B67.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
My mini DD is trained to drive, but it has been about 3 years now since we’ve driven. This past summer, I bought a surcingle for about $30 (including shipping) to use as a refresher, even though I have her harness. It was a great investment for both of us. Easy to use, lightweight, and made practice more meaningful.

It all started when I mentioned restarting DD in harness and someone (maybe Silver City?), suggested taking time to ground drive and really check out where we both were. It was great advice!

I had so much fun may never use the cart again!

Also purchased a used copy of the book, 101 Longeing & Long Lining Exercises, by Cherry Hill. It is a spiral bond book you can hang on a fence with easy to follow diagrams with each written description. I found it helpful in selecting exercises and patterns.

Back