First foal of the year ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minie812

Reaction score
I was in the hospital for a stent placement. I almost cancelled because of the freezing cold it was a record -17 degrees the other night. I was worried about the prego mares. Spent the night in CICU and got the all clear to go home. We got home and first thing I did was check on the horses all was well. Hubby went back out this morning and fed and all was well everyone ate and he went out at noon to check and let the stallions out and there lay a dead foal. He was still in the sac and so he broke it open of course he was gone. Beautiful refined little black/white pinto boy . He was about 288 days. Gracie is doing o.k. I gave some banamine to her and she is eating and all. He was tiny maybe 14" and would have been awesome. I think it was a twisted cord as it was really twisted. Gracie is my favorite mare and I know that there isn't anything I could have done to change things but it just really bummed me out with all that has been happening lately.

I was in the hospital for a stent placement. I almost cancelled because of the freezing cold it was a record -17 degrees the other night. I was worried about the prego mares. Spent the night in CICU and got the all clear to go home. We got home and first thing I did was check on the horses all was well. Hubby went back out this morning and fed and all was well everyone ate and he went out at noon to check and let the stallions out and there lay a dead foal. He was still in the sac and so he broke it open of course he was gone. Beautiful refined little black/white pinto boy . He was about 288 days. Gracie is doing o.k. I gave some banamine to her and she is eating and all. He was tiny maybe 14" and would have been awesome. I think it was a twisted cord as it was really twisted. Gracie is my favorite mare and I know that there isn't anything I could have done to change things but it just really bummed me out with all that has been happening lately.
I can understand how you're feeling. We lost the first foal we ever had, and like yours, I found it in the sack with the cord just terribly twisted around its neck and front feet, and it was just horrible for me! Right after that we went out and bought halter alarms and a video camera for the barn that when the halter alarm goes off we can keep an eye on the due mares, and we never lost a foal after that.

I am really sorry for you loss. I really DO know what you're going through! I am also sorry you were having health problems, and I hope you will be fine now that you have a stent.

About that terrible cold weather.... I always breed my mares so that they never foal before the middle of April because it gets so darn cold around here. I've missed out on getting a few mares bred by passing up their first heat of the season, but I guess in the long run it's better, as I don't think I could STAND being in the barn if it were below zero! I just hate the cold with a passion.

I'm so sorry for your loss...that can't be an easy thing
default_sad.png

We are so sorry for your loss!
default_no.gif

Losing babies is never easy...

Our condolences and Prayers,

Jenny & Mel

So sorry you lost a foal. I, too, had a mare abort a few weeks ago. It's never easy.

Take care of yourself and hope you are doing well after surgery.

default_no.gif

I am soo sorry for your loss Judy. I bet he was a beautiful colt just like his sire.

I know you do everything right and still sad things happen. We wonder why and ask ourselves what could we have done to prevent this. Just know in your heart that you did and do all there is to do in caring for your beloved little horses.

Sorry for your loss. A twisted cord there isn't anything you can do.

We've lost a couple over the years to that. Do you remember if the cord was longer than normal? I had a vet ask me about that once. We don't measure every cord, but I do note any abnormally long ones. There is a theory long cord/active foal could be more of a problem.

Sorry for your loss. A twisted cord there isn't anything you can do.

We've lost a couple over the years to that. Do you remember if the cord was longer than normal? I had a vet ask me about that once. We don't measure every cord, but I do note any abnormally long ones. There is a theory long cord/active foal could be more of a problem.

I have pics and can pm them to you if you want

I am so sorry for your loss!

Kristi

I'm glad you went in to take care of YOU!! You're right, there was nothing you could have done. This happens some times. I'm glad Gracie is OK!

I lost 2 black tovero colts one year. Right after I'd lost my dream stallion Spuds, all I wanted was a son of his to have. The 2 foals lost were his only sons. I'd lost them both. Twisted cords!
default_no.gif

I know it hurts {{{Hugs}}}

Hoping for some sunshine in your dark world right now. I am so sorry for your loss but happy to hear you are doing well physically.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
There was absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent this or save the foal. I'm glad you took care of yourself....please continue to do so!! {{{{HUGS}}}}

It is always very sad to have a little foal pass away. (((((Hugs))))) Take care of yourself.

Latest posts

Back