Driving question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamic8999

Reaction score
Hi I am fairly new to driving and was wondering if there is a way to make my horse extend more at his gaits? He tends to get a bit short strided when I hook him to the cart. He is still somewhat green so any advice (exercises to do, etc) would be appreciated. He is currently going in a snaffle with no check. Was at a professional trainer for several months last year being broke to drive. Now I am trying to make him more finished.

How tall is your horse?

The taller the horse the stride is extended much more....
default_wink.png
:

Judge told us this last year with our 32" stallion driving....

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you driving him? I heard some good advise once that if you want your horse to have lots of forward movement, you need to drive somewhere that he can move forward! ie, not always in an arena, get out somewhere when you can go straight for a long ways, and your horse feels like he's actually going somewhere.

Not sure if it helps you, but it made a lot of sense to me, we were already driving outside (lack of arena will do that for you
default_wink.png
: ) but now make a point of driving down the 1/2 mile hayfield regularly.

Check the fit of your harness it might be bothering him. You might be collecting him up too much. I don't collect up a green horse I let them move out. Collection comes later. Linda B

Hi my horse is 33" and the harness was checked to fit correctly by a driving trainer. Will see if I can find somewhere more open to see if that extends him out more. Just thought maybe someone had a "secret technique" or exercise I could work on with him.

Horses change, so make sure that his harness is not only still correctly fitted but that he is comfortable in it.

He may simply need to build muscle so that he can haul the cart easily. They have to push all that weight forward with the bottom part of their shoulder with each stride and that takes strength that must be built through work. Have you been driving him in deep footing? That would also cause more drag and less reach with the forehand.

Bigger horses will have longer strides, yes, and often better scope, but not necessarily more extension. Just being tiny by itself does not prevent them from extending well. It's the conformation that often comes along with being tiny that may limit the stride and larger horses can have those same problems.

As far as exercises, drive him very "forward" at all times. Don't worry about his head for now, just try to do a lot of long trotting (not long duration, long frame) and encourage him to move out with soft support on the bit. Get the forward motion first then you can refine it into a collected frame. Do big three-loop serpentines, encourage him to move out across the diagonal of the arena when changing directions, do many quiet transitions from walk to trot and back again to help build his muscles and rock him back on his haunches more. Reward any sort of long, rhythmic trot until he gets the idea. But first and foremost make sure he's comfortable. That is the single biggest reason why a horse won't move out.

Leia

Edited for typos

Thanks Leia ,thats what I was trying to say but I only had a short amount of time as I had to go to work. An other thing is the cart itself might not be balanced to his liking. That also can make a horse very short. Linda B

One of the biggest things I find when horses won't extend is that the saddle is too far forward. Make sure your saddle is at least a hands width back from his wither area. So it doesn't pinch or get in the way of his shoulder. That seems to be something that people don't notice too often. I know my "people" will be going along all summer, doing great and then they call me and the horse won't extend anymore. I have them come over we do a lesson and the saddle is to far forward. We move it back and wala! The horse is moving out!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Other than that you've gotten some really great advice on here! Good luck and keep us posted
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=12pt]One thing I like to use is caveletti's while lounging. It helps the horse understand and use his body, I also do leg stretches with my horses. I'll lounge to warm up the muscles, then stretch the legs, then use caveletti's using the same sound/ command as they extend through the caveletti's. It's a good belly exercise too :bgrin [/SIZE]

Anyhow... works for me
default_wink.png
:

Check the fit of your harness it might be bothering him. You might be collecting him up too much. I don't collect up a green horse I let them move out. Collection comes later. Linda B
Excellent advice by Fred and Leia!

Height has nothing to do with extension. Green horses should be asked to move out and achieve a relaxed rhythmic gait before asking for either extension or collection. One of the best times I find to ask for extension, which always comes first before collection, is when they have been driving long enough to have the strength built up and I have them out on the road. When they have got to the point where they are relaxed and trotting rhythmically and you turn for home find a nice straight stretch of road to ask for him to move out even more and ask for extension with a half halt to get him into the bit. When they know they are heading for the barn they are more likely to give you what you want :bgrin I am not saying go racing into the barn yard but on the way home.

Back