Driving Me Buggy 2019 Hours!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zorro had 120 minutes of driving today. We did the 5 mile drive and there are 4 very steep grades on that drive. He did great!! Even though the wind was absolutely HOWLING.

IMG_0439.jpg
Speaking of hair cuts... Zorro got a trim the other day. I LOVE how his mane looks when it's roached!
IMG_3906.jpg

Yes, thats a hair extension on dds tail. i put them on midnights mane and one on his tail for fun. they work really well. i started roaching his mane last year. it is so unwieldy.. i never can get it to look right.

20 Minutes for Peanut, we practiced ground driving around cones. I managed not to trample any ;) but I am sure it will be a much!different story when he is hitched :eek:.

Mindy, the carriage dog looked like he was having fun, too!

I ground drove Cappy today. This Spring, when the weather has cooperated, I have been doing some ground work with him. Sprinkling in some short natural horsemanship sessions when we can. It has helped him a lot! I have not ground driven him in about 2 months and today I could see his flexibility has improved along with his listening skills. Hope it continues.

20 minutes for Cappy :)

Whew... All caught up.

So great to see so many new drivers to our "logging hours" thread.

@MindySchroder Please do add your driving time from the great clinic you attended. Any time hitched and in the cart is time logged. Even if you're sitting in the cart at a stand still for 30 min while waiting for a parade to start. If they are in harness and you've got the lines log it :)

My horses are coming home May 6th. I was hoping for sooner but what can you do? After this spring of waiting and waiting I'm going to be keeping a couple of them up here next winter. Especially now that I've got shelter in the paddock for them.

It's been great to catch up on everyone's adventures. Hoping to have some of my own soon.

Oh and we're on to the second quarter of 2019! 115 total driving hours for the first quarter.

Cayuse, I hear you on that one! The hayfield our at the barn my TWH is boarded at is full of bumpy little ruts, which I did not realize until I decided to let Coady canter. I thought my fillings were going to fall out, and I don’t even have any fillings! :confused:

Mindy, what an awesome video! It must be so much fun to have someone to drive with, and I loved the music :D Zorro’s freshly trimmed mane is looking quite snazzy!

Last but certainly not least, I LOVE the blue extensions in DD’s tail!! I’ll have to procure those for Coady at some point.

For now though my equine budget has gone to harness upgrades (open cheek pieces, trace carriers etc) and a sooner than expected hoof boot purchase. I wanted to get them for his fronts for our longer drives, but my little man has been rather tender footed when we are on pavement or gravel for the past few drives and we had a near abscess scare with a rock that got embedded during a drive. The wet weather just has his hooves so soft :( I’m getting boots for all four. I’m going to take it easy on him until his boots arrive, then we’ll be back in action! I’ll be glad for the cushioning for his joints too...we have a decent amount of pavement to cover on our drives until we can get to the grass and I’ve been worried about his legs. I’m getting the Active model of the equine jogging boots, so when they arrive we’ll see what Prince Coady thinks of them! ;) (I often joke about him thinking he is royalty...he is very pampered and he struts around the barn like he expects the other horses to bow to him! :D)

50 minutes for Coady yesterday...a very slow and cautious drive.

I just started driving my two again! I track with an app so I will have to go back and find the dates and times. Only been a handful of drives...
4/23 Sparky 35 minutes
4/22 Niles 32 minutes
4/21 Sparky 20 minutes
4/20 Niles 33 minutes
4/19 Niles 20 minutes

I just started driving my two again! I track with an app so I will have to go back and find the dates and times. Only been a handful of drives...
4/23 Sparky 35 minutes
4/22 Niles 32 minutes
4/21 Sparky 20 minutes
4/20 Niles 33 minutes
4/19 Niles 20 minutes
All of these were hitched to cart.

Today Zorro did 90 minutes of driving. We are getting faster on our 4 and 5 mile jaunts. At her peak endurance last summer, his mama could drive 5 miles in 30 minutes! But she is also more of a maniac than Zorro is....

For the clinic we were hitched to the cart for 180 on Saturday morning and then for 240 minutes in the afternoon. On Sunday we just drove in the morning for about 180 minutes as well. A storm was coming in and we were all getting cold on Sunday so we shortened the day. I guess normally they go back out after lunch and drive again like we did on Saturday!

I love seeing all the participants here enjoying their minis :) It's so nice to know that these horses are getting good exercise, both physical and mental! Minis are so so smart it's just so darn important for them to use their huge brains!

And @Minidreamz0581 your front boots are on the way!!

Drove Zorro for 90 minutes this morning! We have a long group drive with my "local"driving club on Saturday so we've been preparing for that. It should be between 8-10 miles :) It's our first group drive and I'm so excited!!

Jealously logging everyones hours while I wish my horses were here... soon...very soon.

Welcome to Sparky and Niles. Happy to have you along for the drive!

Mindy what a great area you live in to have all those dirt trails and roads to drive on and people to drive with. Zorro has turned into quite the little rock star hasn't he? Apparently on my driving hours spreadsheet I have the cells set to days/hours/minutes instead of just hours/minutes. Well you'll be thrilled to know that Zorro has over a day of driving this month alone!

He has 1d 2h 50m!!! That is amazing!

I'm training for a half marathon (I'm not a runner... I haven't run a mile since high school so this is way out of my comfort zone) and hoping that my son will want to do more driving this year and I can jog along with him. I hate leaving him home while I go run so this will get us all out and about. We'll see how it works.

I've also got Perry who just turned a year old and I want to start ponying him along while we drive. I'll start out leading him while my son drives and we'll go from there. Never to early to get them used to the sights and sounds of driving.

Latest posts

Back