Driving Me Buggy 2019 Hours!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope that you feel better soon Mindy.
Peggy, glad that you got the the Spring Fling and met up with everyone.
I hear so much about the National Drive, it must be great to go.

How are their feet holding up in the wet? My have been doing fair. Had a bit of thrush on one and Cappy was lame last week after his trim. The vet thought it was a combo of stone bruise/very short trim as he had been running hard the day before in his paddock. Every time it rains hard, my paddock seems to grow rocks. I'm always harvesting rocks out there and have been for years.

I put DD's boots on with the pavement. I try to take them on alternating pavement/dirt. No dirt for a few days after last night's rain, but those roads should be passable on foot in a day or two. We are going to the nursing home on Monday and I was planning to primp Midnight on Sunday; the fly sheet usually works to keep DD clean, but she is a houdini at getting out of clothes. She will get some solid footing that day. No thrush so far and their hooves don't seem impaired. I've been checking them every couple of days.

089D6EA4-BC07-404B-B299-A9370B870448.jpeg I hope you get to feeling better and back to your chipper self in no time Mindy!

Oh wow Peggy, you’re so fortunate to have been able to go to the Spring Fling! I would’ve loved to go but with my work schedule (not to mention that would be a heck of a drive if I wanted to bring my boy...I’ve never driven my trailer more than half an hour away from home...) just wouldn’t allow it. I’m glad you had a great time with your little guy and your stolen granddaughter! :D

150 minutes for Coady today :) We went to our first show together today. I was nervous because the last time I showed was roughly 11 years ago in 4H with my other mini who is now retired due to health problems. To put it in perspective, Coady will be 9 this year, so he wasn’t even born the last time I showed! :confused: Anyway, we had a heck of a day taking 1st in Mini Halter, 2nd in Mini Obstacle and 3rd in Mini Driving!! We had an awesome day and I was so proud of my little man. For only being to one other show in his life (as a lead line pony when he was a 3 year old before I bought him) he did absolutely amazing. The only problem I had with him was that he thought the arena dirt looked like a lovely spot for a roll! We were waiting for our turn in obstacle when I noticed him doing the ‘gonna roll Irish jig’. I caught him thank goodness, but he started pawing that lovely dirt again when we were in the lineup at the end of the driving class! Poor little guy just wanted a good roll, but alas it was not to be :p

Of course, I had to drive in my EE for the show...but since I knew I was hauling a friend’s horse for them and had to stay for the rest of the show even when my classes were finished, I took my Hyperbike! :D We drove around the big field where the trailers were parked and had a blast. We got lots of questions from the other mini owners and some big horse owners as well. The next show I plan on going to is the 26th so hopefully that one goes just as well! :)

Attachments

• 6A39852F-F6F5-4090-8742-B818D1EDACAA.jpeg
    6A39852F-F6F5-4090-8742-B818D1EDACAA.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2
Congratulations on your big day! Coady looks great.
I also went to a show today and was in my first driving class ever. It took me four years to get Peanut into a driving class and I FINALLY did it. I know what you mean about nerves, lol. And about the rolling :D. I didn't catch mine before he folded up and plopped down, but luckily he wasn't ready for his halter class yet so I had plenty of time to dust him off.

45 Minutes of ground driving and 45 minutes hitched for Peanut today.

Last edited:
Thanks Marsha :)
It was an interesting day yesterday. Peanut was great except for when he was passed closely by another horse in the pleasure driving class, then he got flustered and gave a couple of jumps forward. A part of it may have been me anticipating that reaction and we fed off each other, lol. I was nervous. I pulled him to a halt and let him regroup and then restarted and he was OK. I remembered to talk to him after that, and that helped ALOT. I also had a running commentary going with the ring mistress, lol. Which your not supposed to do but they knew it was our first class and I was just trying to ease Peanut through it. They were great about it.
His obstacle class was pretty good. He did everything except go completely over the bridge and that's cool. He was happy doing his job and was trying very hard :).
I have a video of the obstacle class. Does anyone know an easy way to post it?

I took Zorro to a hoof trimming clinic this weekend. On Friday we went for a lovely little drive for 60 minutes :) I always like to drive him in new places and he did great!! We drove 4.5 miles. He was very forward since we were in a new place. Lots of trotting!

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 7
Pretty stylish kicks your wearing Mindy :p
Sounds like you're feeling better!
That looks like a nice stretch of road to drive on. Yesterday Peanut and I sure did enjoy having a large, flat place to warm up and do some work on. No ruts! It spoiled me.

Zorro and I drove 4 miles today, 90 minutes! We got rained on but we don't care ;)
Mindy,
You have been an encouragement to me! I have been a pretty fair weather driver, but after reading your posts I'm not letting things like cold or wind stop me anymore. Can't say I'll drive in the rain but you never know.

All of you have been an encouragement. So thank you! Next year maybe I'll join in with the minute keeping.

Have an excellent driving day!

Took Peanut to my instructors place for a lesson. I don't know where to begin, lol. The goal was to work him with another horse so he could get used to traffic in the ring. When we got there another horse was running in the paddock next to where we work, so he got an eyeful of that and I got to work him through his shenanigans while ground driving. Then we ground drove with another mini in the arena and practiced passing each other. Then I drove him. So I guess I met my goal. I'm still sorting it all out. Sometimes dealing with Peanut is like trying to contain a toddler who is on a sugar high o_O. Hopefully next week we will get the chance to drive with the other mini.

30 minutes ground driving and 30 minutes put to the cart for Peanut.
15 minutes ground driving Cappy.

I hope it didnt rain on your Parade! Was it an early Memorial Day Parade? Did DD wear his hair extensions?
Would love to see pictures if you have them.

Hubby harness up Cappy and put him to the cart (all on his own, I was impressed!) while I ground drove Peanut. He passed us and we passed him many times and Peanut was pretty darn good about it, I think we made some progress. Next time I will hitch both of them and we can practice.
Afterwards, I drove Cappy for a few minutes myself. It was a fun afternoon.

30 minutes ground driving Peanut
15 minutes driving Cappy :)

20 minutes ground driving Midnight. Got out the tarp, which she did not mind. She is reining a little better and whoa is getting pretty solid. Still very herd-bound but learning she must leave him. We also practiced walking on the board and stepping onto the pedestal. She hasn't figured out that she must stand squarely on the pedestal; she tries to overstep and of course that doesn't work. But she shook hands nicely while on the pedestal and is backing off well. I think we can safely say we took two steps forward today.

Latest posts

Back