Driving Me Buggy 2019 Hours!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh, there's a lot going on this thread! Sorry being inactive for a while... I spent more energy to train my horses instead of being on the computer :D

my hours for the last weeks:

4/12: 20 minutes for Moony
4/13: 40 minutes for Moony, 30 minutes for Teddy, and 30 minutes for Massai (had to test my new ComfyFit harness! :D)
4/14: 40 minutes for the team Massai/Teddy/Moony, 20 minutes for Teddy
4/16: 20 minutes for Massai
4/17: 60 minutes for Teddy
4/18: 40 minutes for Moony
4/19: 30 minutes for Moony, 30 minutes for Massai and finally 50 minutes for the team Teddy/Massai/Moony
4/21: 30 minutes for the team Massai/Teddy/Moony
4/22: 30 minutes for Moony, 50 minutes for Massai
4/23: 30 minutes for the team Massai/Teddy/Moony
4/26: 40 minutes for the team Massai/Teddy/Moony
4/27: 120 minutes for Moony, 60 minutes for the team Teddy/Massai
4/28: 40 minutes for Teddy
4/29: 40 minutes for the team Teddy/Moony

Peggy, I am still fighting the weather here, too. I hitched Peanut today and the sky opened up. I drove in the rain anyways. Not something I ever do, but we were ready to go. It is supposed to rain all weekend.
This week my hours are 50 minutes driving and 60 minutes ground driving.
We took Peanut to a show last Sunday and I was able to ground drive him all over the show grounds. We went right next to the warm up ring and cruised up and down the length of it while the "big" horses warmed up. There was no rail, it was an open area, so we got pretty close and he was great. He did have a dramatic "moment" or two first thing in the morning before his halter class but he simmered down once he had a "look see".

Attachments

• DSCN2100 (2).JPG
    DSCN2100 (2).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN2100 (2).JPG
    DSCN2100 (2).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Oh my goodness he's beautiful!!! How fun ground driving him around the show grounds. What a great lesson for him.

And props to you for driving in the rain. But what can you do when you spent all that time hitching and were in the mindset to go for a drive? Put on a rain slicker and get points for being that awesome :)

Got hours logged :) April is 55 driving hours and 10 ground driving. This club is really racking up the driving hours. Maybe we'll log miles next year to change it up. Or we could log both.... Does everyone have a way to do that via app or bicycle speedometer? Ground driving we could still log time.

Also...is everyone able to see the spreadsheets so they can see what their personal times are? Here's a link to the first quarter for 2019 and the second quarter that we're working on now.

https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0kBzgRFyLwTXe3_5Lz2nd-yQA#2019_1st_Quarter

https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0q4bLgUFqOrIN9E2SazfBP99A#2019_2nd_Quarter

Thanks MC! Peanut thinks he's pretty cute, too, lol. He has a huge ego (for lack of a better word) for a wee horse.
I was happy to have the opportunity to ground drive him at the show. Maybe at some point I can hitch him at one. One step at a time.

Peanut is such a handsome little dude! I love the picture.

MC, thank you for all the hard work adding up those minutes and putting them into an organized spreadsheet for us!!

I was able to ground drive Coady yesterday for 10 minutes with his new open cheek pieces for his bridle! I was so excited to finally be able to try them out. He was far more relaxed after I put the bridle on...he usually gets super tense when I put his bridle on and he was far more ‘chill’ than usual so that was very exciting for me. Once we started driving he was a bit confused at first and zigzagged like crazy, but once he realized it was his usual job he settled in well. I might try to squeeze a quick drive in before work today.

I’m still being very careful about his hooves because I’m not using his boots yet...the hoof boots for his fronts arrived but I’m not sure if it’s a good fit. They’re a little roomy, especially in his narrow little hinds. The fronts look pretty good I think...when they are on his hooves but not all fastened up I can fit my index finger down the back of the boot. Not sure if that’s a good amount of room so they don’t pinch or if that’s too much room and they’ll flop. I’m sending poor Mindy to an early retirement with all my questions and poor quality videos! She’s going to lend me a pair of 9’s to try out, so next week I’ll have the next size down to compare to :)

Going to try to trailer out to the barn again tomorrow and take my little guy on a trail drive with the big horses, so we’ll see how the weather is.

45 minutes for Dapper Dan today. We had a fun drive. Ponied Midnight. I tied her up to a trailer when we got home so I could unharness. We had stopped by the mailbox on the way home. Laid the mail on the trailer--silly me. She chewed it up. I had to pry the envelope out of her mouth. She loves to chew up or stomp on things. Aren't they all different?

Sounds like Midnight is going to have a playful personality. Have you taught her any tricks yet?

30 minutes of ground driving and 30 minutes of driving for today. No rain :)
That would be for Peanut. Thanks MajorClem! (!)

30 minutes for Coady yesterday...his first hitched drive with the open cheek pieces :D he was unsure at first, then he settled in and did his job like a good little boy. Today was when I was planning on bringing him out to the barn (said the wrong day on a previous post) but our plans got rained out :( There is a show next weekend that I’m planning on taking him to so hopefully it doesn’t get rained out as well.

Cayuse, I’m using the Active Equine Jogging boots. I haven’t gotten to actually use them yet as I want to be sure I have the right size, but they are made VERY well and they look like they have better traction than any sneakers that I’ve ever had for myself!

60 minutes ground driving Midnight. We only went 2 miles but it took us that long because I had to stop many times to let her get her head together. She is not really coming along very well. I'm trying all the things I've learned over the years.
She learned to shake hands. Not 100% yet, but getting the hang of it.
I read an article on The Horse.com about genetics of harness racers. Researchers have found some definite genetic markers for trotters than win. I agree, some horses have a natural affinity for harness work and some do not. If only there were some kind of dna test one could do before investing so much in a possible harness horse...

You are all very welcome for my keeping track of hours. It motivates me to get out and use my little pasture pigs. They are back!!! They got here yesterday. It's been rainy and cold so they get a few days to settle in and then it's time to work. I've been reading a lot this winter and have some new things I want to try to improve our driving form and maybe work towards CDEs. I'm also going to work on positive reenforcement training with Pistol to see if he'll come around, Perry as well to get him using his baby mind for things other than "can I chew on that?".

Here's to hoping for sunny spring weather for everyone!

Zorro did 90 minutes of driving today. We went 5 miles for our first drive since I went to Missouri and Indiana :) He was a spooky pony to start but we had a big storm blowing in, wind in the 20 mph range and lots of scary things happening. But he settled down and we had a nice time. It is very cold here even though it's supposed to be spring and I caught a bad cold on my trip so I got chilled, but Zorro did great!

IMG_0436.JPG IMG_0431.JPG

Thank you for all you do MajorClementine! For tracking miles I use an app called Strava. This allows me to track miles (and time) on my smart watch as well as on my phone. So if I go out of cell range, my watch will continue to track for me.

But whether we track time or miles, it's all fun and motivating! Zorro and I have driven (either in cart, the sled or ground driven) 153.5 miles since January 1st. I love watching that number build!

Zorro did 90 minutes today. We walked most of it because I'm sick and feeling very tired and he seems to feed off that. LOL! He was MOST lazy today. It was really fine with me. I don't have to think so fast when his feet move slow ;)IMG_0453.jpg

Finally found time to record my minutes from the National Drive Spring Fling last weekend.

Butch Cassidy
Thursday 45 mins
Friday 150 mins, 60 mins
Saturday 90 mins ( mostly in the rain)
Sunday 90 mins ( all in the beautiful sunshine)

What an enjoyable weekend with my stolen granddaughter. It was wonderful to meet Mindy and Janie and Heather!4F314FB1-96D0-4D8D-876B-03E4F4D7C916.jpeg

Latest posts

Back